“Graduation Trip”

Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Arkansas
“Graduation Trip”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights recently for my graduation from the University of Dundee. There were seven of us occupying four rooms. I did not hear a complaint from anyone! I loved the building and also the decor. Purple is my favorite color! The hallway to our room was tilted which begs the question, is there something wrong with the foundation? It warms my heart to see these old buildings refurbished and still in use today. I think the lights could be more intuitively placed as I found it awkward to apply make up because there wasn’t a light over the mirror.
The staff at the front desk were wonderful and very helpful with dinner recommendations.
Our room was a very nice standard room, although rather small it was very nicely appointed. I really appreciated the quality bed linens which contributed to our restful sleep. A little stool would have been helpful when climbing into bed as it is a little ways up there.The mattress was firmer than I like but I slept very well.
The bathroom was very nice with a bath and shower, the fixtures were very tasteful and made by an excellent company renown for quality products. While they were not intuitive, they were really quite beautiful and it wasn’t difficult to figure out how to turn on/off and adjust the temperature.The shower head was wonderful. They only design feature I was not enamored with, was the shelf above the sink and toilet, it was too easy to drop things into the toilet and you had to ensure the lid was closed. The towels were thick and were very good quality.
As we arrived by train, there was no need to worry about parking but we intend to stay here again when we plan to travel around the highlands but will worry about that then.
All in all We enjoyed our stay at Malmasion and would return with out a doubt.
We were in room 512 and looked out onto the tops of the historic buildings.

Room Tip: Room 518 is a handicap equipped room on the corner and is quite large.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ngamoenga
Michael N, Manager at Malmaison Dundee, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Ngamoenga,

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. I am delighted to hear that your graduation trip went well! With regards to the floors, we have had a certain amount of settlement with building being converted into a beautiful new hotel but this is something that we are aware of and will certainly be trying to resolve. Once again, I am delighted that you enjoyed this special occasion with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Many thanks

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I really liked my first impressions of the restaurant and of the staff, they could not have been more friendly or welcoming. My gripe is they only offered AUSTRALIAN beef on the menu, I have nothing against Australia and I am sure their beef is top notch, but in a country where so many farmers are producing beef of a high standard, that was a slap in the face. I have tried contacting the company for an answer, but am still awaiting a reply. Needless to say, in spite of the excellent service, on principal I won't be going back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Valerie016
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently spent two blissful nights in the Malmaison in Dundee. Despite having no dedicated car parking there is an open air car park with reasonable rates just across the road. We were immediately taken by the decadent boho decor in the reception and up the staircase to our room. Stylish only begins to describe it. Our room was well appointed, with a very comfy bed including Dennis The Menace portrait above it! Bathroom was similarly luxurious. If I had a complaint it would be the lack of instruction for the air con. In Scotland I hear you say!!! Yes but once we had someone from reception show us how to use it we were happy!! The restaurant was similarly impressive with stylish decor, attentive staff and tasty treats on offer! We dined from the set menu which offered a good choice of quality food and the waiter's wine choice on our behalf was first class! After a very comfy night's sleep we both had what we agreed was the best cooked breakfast we have ever had anywhere on our travels!! Would we return? Absolutely! Recommended? Absolutely!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank millhouseglasgow
Hi millhouseglasgow!

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is great to hear you enjoyed yourself so much! We really pride ourself on our style and quality so I'm glad you really appreciated these aspects of your visit.

We look forward to having you back very soon!

Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It was the best of times and the worst of times! It often seemed as if the company is run by two competing halves. One half is dedicated to providing an excellent experience with good equipment, food and service, whilst the other half plays every trick it can to sabotage the first part.

The colours in the room and all public areas were dreadful, in endless tones dark browns, through to black - it is not a good look! The good part of the management seems to have said that this is a beautiful building, with a proud history in a fine Scottish city, and the altered ego says, "We will soon sort that out. We will do all we can to grab drabness from the jaws fab-ness." The colours are so dark, and the lighting maliciously inadequate. The tall mirror in the room is usable. The few lights there were were no where near the mirror?

The equipment in the room is mostly high quality, with a genuine satellite tv, rather than the usual 'freeview'. The kettle was good quality and the dressing gowns were appreciated. Obviously the bad side was not going to let the good self get away with that, and they counter attacked. It was also most impossible to get the kettle under the tap and the taps turned in opposite directions - nice trick Mr Sabotage.

The bed was very big - I lost my wife in it a couple of times! The good cop, bad cop routine continued. There was an enormous fake fur on it, about the size of two fake buffalos. I think Mr S won this round! If the fur had been real, it would have been in exceptionally bad taste, as it was it was fake, and therefore in bad taste. Mr S won both ways!

As others have commented, the breakfast (excluding coffee) was excellent. The fake theme was continued through to the coffee. It was so "mild" that I swear I would not have known it was coffee in a blind tasting. When I asked for double strength replacement I was told that the Cafetier was not real, it was all filled from a big pot and did not contain any coffee beans at all - I assume they had forgotten to put coffee beans in the "big pot" that morning. The solution suggested by the member of staff I spoke to didn't sound too good - but actually it was. She said she would get me an "Americano from the machine". This was a little bitter, but otherwise a good solution.

Which brings me to staff - I couldn't fault them. They were courteous, polite and helpful - a pleasure to engage with. I'm afraid the good half won that round Mr S.

You would need to have more money than sense to to use the mini-bar. Crisps worked out at GBP40 (say €50) a kilo. Plonk wine, which would set you back €3 in France, was €20 here, so sadly Mr S convincingly won that round.

Finding parking seemed to be a matter of luck - as it happened we were lucky, but only just, and this should be a serious consideration for any one driving. It you go by train it is a short walk from the station.

Serious tip (don't let Mr S know!). The hotel we stayed in the night before put a 100ml carton of fresh milk in the fridge. This costs a hotel very little, but indicates that they care about their guests. The fridge is in the room anyway.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Returner236
Hello Returner 236,

I'm really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy yourself when you visited. I would love the chance to speak to you and understand the reasons why in more detail. As Tripadvisor is anonymous I am unable to find contact details from our records.

If you are able to call the hotel and arrange a time and number for me to contact you, I would be very keen to give you a call and discuss your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you,

London
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for a night on route to The Highlands. Our upgraded River View room was OK but nothing to get excited about. The whole hotel has a very, very dark Gothic feel to it. Corridors are dark and our room was dark too.

The term river view is slightly misleading as this Mal is located in an area that is undergoing extensive redevelopment so the river view is across an enormous building site.

Another big disadvantage is the lack of on site parking. There is a large open air public car park just across the road from the hotel but it is obviously temporary as on a wet Scottish evening we had to drag our cases through the mud. The car park was also very full so we had to wait for a space to become available.

Sadly for a newly opened hotel I did not find the reception staff to be bubbling with enthusiasm to say the least. A great shame considering the amount of money spent in creating this impressive new Mal. Maybe they thought they were being cool.

I really enjoyed the breakfast served in the very nice brasserie. It was top quality and would have put many a much more expensive establishment to shame.

Would I stay again? Yes but I'd wait until the extensive redevelopment project right outside the hotel is complete.

Room Tip: Make sure you know how to use the torch feature on your iPhone. You'll need it to find your way...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PriusExplorer
Hello PriusExplorer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I'm really happy to hear to you would choose us again but would also like to follow up and discuss the areas of your stay that we're not up to the standard that we would expect of ourselves.

If you could find the time to give us a call at the hotel to arrange a time and number for me to call that would be fantastic.

I look forward to speaking to you soon,

Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Had food and drinks at the bar here- both grossly overpriced with terrible service. It was cold where we were sitting and there was no atmosphere. Would not come back here again, the only positive of the bar is the decor. Would benefit from more attention to the food and not to serve it cold.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank ajudy1
Hello ajudy1,

I am horrified to hear of your experience in malbar. Firstly I would like to thank you wholeheartedly for bringing this to our attention and giving us the opportunity to deal with these issues. I would love the chance to speak to you and get all of your feedback and restore your faith in Malmaison!

If you could call the hotel and ask for me or arrange a time and a number for us to speak I would be extremely grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just stayed at the recently opened Malmaison in Dundee, with a Secret Escapes deal (great website by the way, it's very handy that you can book your stay directly through them instead of purchasing a coupon and try to get a room afterwards, like other deals sites out there)

It was our wedding anniversary and the staff left a signed card in our room, such a thoughtful touch. They were also very understanding when I asked if we could be moved to a room with a bath. We got moved swiftly and without any questions to a lovely room on the 5th floor with views of the harbour and a spacious bathroom. Plenty of nice touches in the room, mini-bar and hospitality tray are neatly built in the wardrobe, very smart indeed. Decor is lush and opulent, true to the Malmaison ethos.

We had drinks in the bar before dinner, and their staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. Cocktails aren't cheap, but quality does come with a price!

Went upstairs to the restaurant for dinner, where we were greeted by a very charming Front of House lady. Food was outstanding and could not be faulted at all. The only disappointment was the waitress in our section, who we nicknamed "thunder face" as was obviously not happy to be there and did not do anything to hide her feelings. When you add 10% service charge to a bill you should ensure your staff can deliver a service which justifies that. Instead, we decided to leave a tip for only half of the requested amount. Her only interaction with us was to take orders, ask once if everything was ok and bring the bill. We felt that despite of being plenty of staff on duty that night "floating" around there was a distinctive lack of personal touch, and they looked aloof most of the time. We didn't feel like lingering after dinner and finished our drinks up in our room before heading out in Dundee (with good advice from a local member of staff we spoke to on our way out, thank you for the recommendations!)

Breakfast was fantastic, and what a difference in service, with a very chatty and lovely girl. If only she had been serving us the night before I would have happily tipped the full 10% and more! I took the £2 upgrade, which is a bargain for the great quality of their cooked breakfast.

Overall, a great hotel, fantastic decor oozing luxury and decadence, just need to make sure all their staff performs with the same quality standards and care they apply elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LoreaTH
Hello LoreaTH,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted that you have had good time and that you were well looked after for the most part. I am concerned about the lack of personal touch that you received over dinner. A key part to Malmaison as a brand is that we do offer that personal touch with our guests and for our staff to be aloof and distant really isn't acceptable, as you have highlighted.

I would really appreciate if you are able to give the hotel a call to speak to me or arrange the best time and number to speak to you on.

I really looking forward to speaking to you,