“Malmaison Dundee - overcharge”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Malmaison Dundee

Malmaison Dundee
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Dunblane, United Kingdom
“Malmaison Dundee - overcharge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just wanted to highlight a recent cost issue we experienced with Malmaison, Dundee -
We had booked 4 rooms and, on arrival, enquired about the cost of breakfast and were advised £8 ( continental) / £10 (cooked).
As we were due to leave sharp the next morning we booked 7 x continental breakfasts @ £8 each.
On receipt of our invoice we noticed we were charged £13.95 per person for breakfast and highlighted this to the Hotel.
We received a response indicating we had been quoted costs incorrectly and the charges would still stand. We did point out the incorrect quote was not our error but following a ridiculous email chain we have not received the refund of our overcharge and, considering the business we did give the Malmaison with our original room booking, the 'battle of wills' in pursuing this has been very disappointing.
SO.....the message is double check any verbal costs quoted.
This issue spoilt what was otherwise a very nice stay in Dundee and the poor rating is simply to highlight our overcharge in light of an unsatisfactory resolution to our complaint.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Yvonne M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here with three other couples to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. It was our first visit to Dundee and we were all delighted with surprised at how much we could do. The hotel was excellent and the staff especially that we spoke to where all meant to be in hospitality. The reception team were very welcoming, informative and helpful. The building has been beautifully restored well done to malmaison for working there magic. The rooms are amazing, beds comfortable, great quirky malmaison goodies in the room.. Breakfast very relaxed and great choice of food. Ate in the restaurant on one night and it was a relaxed service which we enjoyed as we were there for the evening and in no rush. Food was cooked to perfection and very well presented. I wouldn't hesitate in returning as would the other couples we all highly recommend malmasion Dundee.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael N, Manager at Malmaison Dundee, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Hi ScotlandMch,

Thank you so much for review and your kind words and I am delighted that you chose to celebrate this special occasion with us. We are working very hard to make sure this hotel is a real destination in the city and beyond and it is always great to hear that this hard work is being converted into great stays for you and your friends.

We look forward to seeing you again for some more special occasions,

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Malmaison Dundee was one of the best hotels I have stayed in. I stayed there for 4 nights and was upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor. The room was tastefully decorated with romantic furnishings and modern amentities. The service was fabulous and the front desk staff extremely helpful. The hotel is located basically across the street from the Dundee ScotRail station so it was very easy to hop on a train to Edinburgh, Aberdeen and even Inverness. The continental breakfast was good. Homemade granola was excellent!!! My onlly complaints about this hotel is the darkness. Because it is decorated in a very romantic feel, there were times were it felt very dark. Although the bathroom was beautiful with a clawfoot tub and double shower, the lighting was terrible and there was not an electrical outlet for anything other than a shaver. My inlaws have also stayed at the hotel and there room was very small but clean. All in all, I would definitely stay at the Malmaison Dundee again. Wonderful choice!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amber R
Michael N, Manager at Malmaison Dundee, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Hello Amber R,

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. I am really pleased to hear that you were so well looked after. Our brand is built on style, quality and exceptional service and I am delighted your experience has fully reflected that.

We look forward to having you back very soon!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

A second visit, with high ( but I thought reasonable) expectations. Sadly the booking was botched, the room was tiny, the meal was late and the bill was wrong ( and not in my favour). Still, I slept well and the air con was a godsend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JCScotland
Hello JCScotland,

I am wholeheartedly sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed yourself at our hotel. I would love the opportunity to speak to you and gain as much feedback as possible regarding your stay.

If you are able to call the hotel and arrange a time for us to speak, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The wonderfully refurbished Malmaison was superb. We met friends for drinks. The atmosphere, decoration and friendliness and helpfulness of staff made for a great night. Great selection of wines and spirits in the Mai Bar.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan B
Hello Jonathon B,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am delighted that you have had such a good time with us. We pride ourselves on our people, so we always like to be able to feedback kind words from our guests to our staff.

We hope to see you propping up the Malbar sometime soon!

Thanks,

Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights recently for my graduation from the University of Dundee. There were seven of us occupying four rooms. I did not hear a complaint from anyone! I loved the building and also the decor. Purple is my favorite color! The hallway to our room was tilted which begs the question, is there something wrong with the foundation? It warms my heart to see these old buildings refurbished and still in use today. I think the lights could be more intuitively placed as I found it awkward to apply make up because there wasn’t a light over the mirror.
The staff at the front desk were wonderful and very helpful with dinner recommendations.
Our room was a very nice standard room, although rather small it was very nicely appointed. I really appreciated the quality bed linens which contributed to our restful sleep. A little stool would have been helpful when climbing into bed as it is a little ways up there.The mattress was firmer than I like but I slept very well.
The bathroom was very nice with a bath and shower, the fixtures were very tasteful and made by an excellent company renown for quality products. While they were not intuitive, they were really quite beautiful and it wasn’t difficult to figure out how to turn on/off and adjust the temperature.The shower head was wonderful. They only design feature I was not enamored with, was the shelf above the sink and toilet, it was too easy to drop things into the toilet and you had to ensure the lid was closed. The towels were thick and were very good quality.
As we arrived by train, there was no need to worry about parking but we intend to stay here again when we plan to travel around the highlands but will worry about that then.
All in all We enjoyed our stay at Malmasion and would return with out a doubt.
We were in room 512 and looked out onto the tops of the historic buildings.

Room Tip: Room 518 is a handicap equipped room on the corner and is quite large.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ngamoenga
Ngamoenga,

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. I am delighted to hear that your graduation trip went well! With regards to the floors, we have had a certain amount of settlement with building being converted into a beautiful new hotel but this is something that we are aware of and will certainly be trying to resolve. Once again, I am delighted that you enjoyed this special occasion with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Many thanks

Elgin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I really liked my first impressions of the restaurant and of the staff, they could not have been more friendly or welcoming. My gripe is they only offered AUSTRALIAN beef on the menu, I have nothing against Australia and I am sure their beef is top notch, but in a country where so many farmers are producing beef of a high standard, that was a slap in the face. I have tried contacting the company for an answer, but am still awaiting a reply. Needless to say, in spite of the excellent service, on principal I won't be going back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends