“Has potential but disappointing”
Review of Malmaison Dundee

Malmaison Dundee
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We booked on an itison deal which was £99 for one night stay with dinner and a cocktail.

We were staying with another couple and was really looking forward to this stay.

On arrival the building looks lovely but once in the main entrance the hotel is very dark in decor and the reception is not clearly visible ; you have to go downstairs.

The reception area is very small and if two or more people are checking in it gets very congested very quickly. Once checked in, no offer to help with bags and we didn't know how to get to the rooms and had to ask (didn't expect to have to ask in this class of hotel to be fair).

The room was lovely but it was compact to say the least. The bed very comfortable and aircon was the best I've come across at a hotel so far and the bathroom had lovely underfloor heating and complimentary toiletries. The snacks/minibar were extortionate compared to other hotels but we tend not to indulge on that.

The meal was lovely and cocktails certainly weren't watered down so can't complain about the restaurant other than the service. Every course was brought out by a different server and they guessed who ordered what at our table of four, never asked who had ordered what and they got it wrong every time. We weren't too bothered by this but it's all the little things that could be easily fixed that bothered us.

We chose to have breakfast which again was ok. We sat at the same table as we had a dinner and it had not been cleaned. There were still good contents from the previous night even though the table had been turned around for breakfast. We kept having to ask for missing items from the table eg milk and the cups were all dirty (easy enough to change but shouldn't have to).

Check out was a disaster. We had a bill to settle for dinner yet our dinner bill was zero. The staff explained that if you charge to your room the bill you sign will show as zero then they add it on at checkout. Whether I am paying cash or charging to my room I expect to sign for the amount I am due, anything else is utterly unacceptable to me!

That issue aside the amount on the bill was wrong significantly which I contested and pointed out the errors were not of my making. The staff could not quickly work out the problem and I had to explain to them to which I received blank looks.

Sadly this hotel is way overpriced for Dundee in all areas and the service, whilst not terrible, has significant improvements to make. For this chain I'm shocked and very disappointed in the massive gaps in the attention to detail and service delivery that absolutely need addressing.

Even though on paper we got a good deal, we would not return to this hotel. The Doubletree by Hilton or The Apex are far greater value and have a established level of superior customer service.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChrisWright82
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Dundee

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Booked a last minute weekend away. Normally my first choice in Dundee is the Apex however this was full so thought i'd give the Mal a go. It was pricey however the commonwealth games were still on in Glasgow so the majority of Scotland was busy.
Check in was quick and efficient. We got to the room and when people say the rooms are small, they really are! On the plus side the bathroom was one of the biggest I've saw in a hotel for a while. The room is beautiful in dark purples and reds but also had plenty of good lighting and plug sockets next to the beds. The bed is just a standard double. No queen or king, which is a bit of a shame because most hotels queen or king beds are standard.
We ordered room service which did take slightly longer than they said but it was tasty. You MUST have a Mal 'Hot Chocolate' pudding. it is to DIE for!!
The hotel is easily within walking distance of the shopping center and things like discovery point and the science center.
All in all yes it is a lovely hotel but it is rather pricey. I feel i get much better value at the Apex instead. If i do come to Dundee again i would be unlikely to stay here unless i got a very good deal.

Room Tip: Standard rooms only have a standard double bed. If you need a king size you'll need a suite. Riv...
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We arrived late. The 21:50 from Heathrow is always late and always, oddly enough, by about an hour. It was about 1am when we arrived and I was looking froward to getting to bed. Hopefully a massive bed in a spacious room. The chap checking us in seemed determined to put us in a twin room for some reason - perhaps because it was 2 mature men standing in front of him but he should not have made any assumptions (in either direction). I'd booked (and pre-paid for) a Mal Club Double, hence my expectations were high. Eventually, along with the description labelling the room as "spacious" we got there. Spacious it wasn't, interesting and comfy it was. Very. And a big bathroom too - big walk-in shower but no tub but did have a small dorma window, which we both liked. The bed, as promised, was massive and very VERY VERY comfortable. Good quality bed lined and wow was the bed comfy! Small dorma window = not much light, even during a Scottish summer with perfect weather (I am a Dundonian myself!!) and that was due to the very small window, low ceilings and only 2 halogen spots in the ceiling. The other lights were good but still not enough to call the room brightly lit. The decor was very dark and that didn't help. But, a very good selection of snacks of which we availed ourselves before bed was appreciated - none free though, apart from 1 pack of 2 lemon curd biscuits. Some noise from the pubs at the bottom of Union St but nothing that overt troubled us as that bed swept us off to sleep very quickly. We didn't have breakfast (that was hewing supplied by my parents) but the dinning room is splendid - real treat and a throw back to former times with elegant tables, huge (bay) windows and lots of cheer noise of the dinners enjoying themselves. Its position - all of the construction work notwithstanding - is perfect. Literally minutes from the railway station and walkable (if not in a hurry) to the airport too - if you're not hunger enough for a hotel breakfast then a 5 minute walk will get you to Costa in Waterstone's on Commercial Street for a coffee and a croissant. The car park, right opposite was not a problem at all and actually quite handy. I normally stay at the Apex and whilst being picky I can mention little things on both sides, would I stay here again? Yes. I definitely would. The room was smaller thank I'd have liked, there was no free water (as there is in other hotels' premier rooms) but it was comfy with a good, if limited, view. I did like it and do look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: We had room 603 which is on the 6th floor in the eaves but barring outside noise, is a quiet room in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Woud like to thank all the wonderfull staff at Malmaison for a truly amizing stay the staff went out of their way to give us a lovely Birthday weekend.

Would like to thank all restaurant staff who were simply brill and a big thank you to Carly also for helping us make our stay so perfect Malmaison Im sure must be so proud to have her on their team its so rare now to get such perfect customer service. Thank you Carly and team. The food was wonderfull.

The bar staff were a great bunch of guys and the girls on reception too were indeed all fab from start to finish. We will most certainly would love to return again we had a lovely weekend.

Hope to see you all again and thank you .

Well done Malmaison Dundee your team is most certainly a credit to your beautifull hotel.

Maureen and Stephen Caban.

Room Tip: The rooms are lovely just go and enjoy.
2  Thank MaureenAnn014
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Very nice hotel, only opened about six months ago and very close to the Holiday Inn Express. Some nights you can get this hotel cheaper than the express. If you are looking for something a little more luxurious try this out.

Parking is paid at both hotels, and ample parking at both, if you can give up a night or two chai sing IHG points, I would recommend a night here.

Tip for hotel - an illuminated magnifying mirror in the bathroom would be so handy. I don't know if all rooms are a dark as 414, but I had to have a second shave using my car mirror. I like the style of the rooms though, so I'd just go for the designer stubble look next time.

Room Tip: Dark rooms.... if you have a daily shave beware!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights this weekend and my son stayed for 1 night. Both rooms 308 and 506 were river view kings through Expedia. There was a difference in shape and size due to the old building and 308 had a much larger bathroom with a separate shower and bath. Comfortable rooms and beds. Breakfast was good service great both days and granola lovely. Cooked 1 morning, continental the other by choice. Sunday lunch was great but couldn't get a table until 3.45 so do book a couple of weeks before if you wish to eat at a reasonable time. The staff were all friendly and helpful. One niggle was you need to take a travel mirror with you as there are no plugs near a mirror for your hair dryer. Style before practicality!!! Would definitely stay again as family have moved to Dundee but will be packing that mirror next time.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014

While The hotel looks good on the surface, scratch it and there were so many little things which I feel ruin what is meant to be a high class hotel.

There were things like the leaking ceiling in the bathroom, and several bathroom fixtures and fittings not being attached properly. It gave the impression of the hotel being almost thrown together at great haste.

Then also the service from some of the staff was good, whilst others just so - so.

The best part of the trip was the time in the hotel bar, where a very helpful and friendly bartender made us 2 amazing cocktails.

But over all I would say, they need to try smoothing over the rough edges, or else its just not worst the money.