“Fab”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Fab”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Arrived for our meal we were shown to our table and served promptly. We had Group on Vouchers for the steak meal although we could have anything else from the dinner menu we had the steaks. The food was very good staff very attentive and friendly. Will return again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
UK
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We visited the Panmure Hotel for my nephew's birthday, Everything was perfect. We all opted for curry and were not disappointed, the best food we had ever tasted! - The staff brought out the birthday cake and were very attentive

Highly recommend this venue, Service and fodd 100%

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sam07Uk
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My daughter's wedding reception held in the Panmure Hotel on Saturday 04/01/2014 was an unmitigated success. The function Room was tastefully laid out, the catering was to a high standard with 106 guests given a choice from three of each starters, mains and desserts delivered piping hot to each table. The guest rooms were tidy and economical. The owner and wife team (Nick and Lynn) could not have been more helpful throughout.
All of the above contributed to a wonderful day. Thanks to ALL staff concerned.
Bill Dow

Room Tip: Daughter & family stayed for three weeks and were pleased with facilities and services provided
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hotel is a shambles worst hotel in the world warning all to stay away. Never been or heard of a place worse than this a tent out the backdoor would be better.beds halfway in the bathroom door, bed makes an awful noise, no hot breakfast at all, then you complain the owner singles you out and makes your stay alot worse than already is.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank luigibhoy

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

===Food, obviously===

Eating out is one of my favourite past times. What could possibly be better than having a decent meal and not having to worry about any of the dishes? A few things, but only some of them are food related. My partners cousin, Sloan, had obtained a voucher on Groupon that she decided should be used for us all going out and enjoying ourselves and that is what brought us to the Panmure House Hotel in october for a bit of a treat. You can stay there if you want; the hotel has a ranking of 67% on trip advisor at time of writing which ranks it at 18th out of 31 hotels in Dundee. Some of that is based on the food; some of it is based on staying there.

===Getting there===

If you know the area then you are sorted. If not you may be best to look up Google maps before you go, or even just shove a sat nav on. Situated in Monifieth (a large village just on the outskirts of Dundee, just past Broughty Ferry) it’s just passed the Tesco on the main through road, but that’s about as much help as I can really give you. Busses will easily get you within a brisk two minute walk of the place and taxis will get you right to the door. If you are driving (which, for me, is always the better option since taxis are expensive) then there will usually be enough parking at the hotel for you. We arrived on an evening where the hotel was holding a wedding and were still able to get parked with ease. There is a train station in Monifieth but you’ll be hard pushed to get a train that actually stops there with at last check about 2 or 3 trains a day going through it.

If you want to use your sat nav, the address is as follows:

Panmure House Hotel,
Tay Street
Monifieth
DD5 4AX

===On Arrival===

By the time we arrived the place was fairly dark outside (the table was booked for 8) there are a couple of doors you can go in but you’d probably be better to go in the door at the side of the conservatory area rather than go round the front of the hotel to the reception. If you do go in through the reception entrance you may feel a little lost, but the staff were quick to point us in the right direction. The gravel car park may cause some small issues for wheel chairs but there are no problems getting in and out of the place as all the entrances are nice and wide with slopes rather than stairs going up to them.

I can’t really say how the place looked from the outside, though I did make out a turret or two in the dark, so it did have a lovely grand feel to it which is continued in the dark wood and deep reds used inside. There’s a lovely giant mirror to the far left of the bar area surrounded by shields which is certainly an interesting focal point. We chose to sit in the conservatory area which had plenty room in it. It wasn’t the most modern looking place on the planet, but that just means that it fit in perfectly with the old style and grandeur of the rest of the building. Just outside the conservatory area there’s a small kid’s play area with a fence around it so they are obviously child friendly, though I didn’t see any on the night we went. Score!

===Groups===

The first thing I would say is if you happen to have a groupon or itison voucher (or any other voucher for that matter) it really is easier to print it before you go. Sloan had kept hers on her phone rather than printing it which meant a little bit of hassle having to write numbers down for the staff so they could process it. It also led to a little bit of confusion over which offer the voucher was for as the Panmure House Hotel have a few different offers that they let out periodically. The offer that we had was a steak dinner for two which was two ten ounce steaks plus a sauce for £20. The offer doesn’t include drinks or a starter or dessert but it does knock almost £14 off the price of the meal as the steaks are set at £16.95 on the menu.

===Clinkies for Drinkies===

The first thing we noticed when we went through to the restaurant area was the bar. You’ll be quite happy to learn (if you are like me) that the bar is fully stocked with all the good stuff and even a few beers and stuff on tap. It shouldn’t be too difficult to get everyone something they like from the bar. I started off with some tequila and orange juice, Sloan went for a Gin and lemonade and Allan decided to be boring with a coke.

===Start your engines===

The Panmure House Hotel serves both traditional food and has a full Indian menu too so you’ll probably be able to find something to please everyone. The surroundings are a bit mismatched to an Indian menu, but I’ve never found that effects eating, so I doubt you’ll be too upset by that. If anything you’ll be more upset by the three weirdos in the corner giggling away (quietly) at entirely inappropriate jokes (that was possibly us).

For starters I decided to go with the chicken liver paté which came with salad, oatcakes and onion chutney for £4.25. It was well presented and tasted much like most other paté does which can only be a good thing. The oatcake to paté ratio was spot on which I find to be a rare thing; I usually run out of oatcakes before I run out of paté. I’d give my starter a thumbs up; it was very nice indeed!

Sloan decided to go with haggis fritters (£4.25). That consisted of haggis in batter which came with a mustard/mayo dipping sauce and some salad. This also came in around the fiver mark. The plate looked nice though a little on the empty side, but Sloan really liked them so that’s another thumbs up.

Allan went with “Panmure Pakoras” from the Indian menu (£5.50). These were normal chicken pakoras with some dipping sauce and a little salad. For the price, his plate looked quite empty again, but he was impressed with how they tasted, scoffing them without even offering us a bite!

So that’s three thumbs up for starters and then we were asked to leave (not really). We asked for another round of drinks (this time lemonade for myself as I was driving) while the plates were being cleared. Rather oddly our empty glasses were left on the table till after the main meal was finished which I found a little careless, but it wasn’t a huge deal.

===Main event===

As Sloan had her voucher we both went for the 10oz sirloin steak, she ordered hers rare, while I ordered mine medium rare. We hadn’t seen the option for a sauce on the menu despite it being on the voucher so we didn’t ask for it (we only realised later when we double checked the voucher). Each plate came with a cooked tomatoes and mushrooms (which had a hint of a garlicky flavour about them) and chips (though I’d describe them more as fries, think McDonalds, not that that’s a bad thing at all). We were a little perplexed when we were presented with a medium rare stake and a medium. The waiter had gone before we had realised what he had said and by the time he came back we had just decided not to bother getting them to re-do another steak.

The steak, if I’m being honest, wasn’t really what I’d have expected for something priced £16.95 on the menu. Sloan and I agreed that we’d have probably have felt a little disgruntled if we’d paid that much. It’s not that it wasn’t nice; it’s just that it wasn’t really anything special. You could get the same quality steak from a wetherspoons for about half the price. You could by the same kind of steak yourself and probably make it a lot more impressive. You could even get a better quality cut for that much. Again though, it wasn’t terrible and we did get a heavy discount thanks to the groupon voucher. Maybe it just wasn’t the best quality cut, who knows? It didn’t get a thumbs down, but it didn’t really muster a thumbs up either.

Allan went with the Battered Haddock (which is just called fish in Italy as the Italian waiter informed Allan when he couldn’t understand him, leaving Allan a little confused and me a little amused) for £8.25 which came with salad, lemon and chips. It also came with Tartare sauce which, much to Allan’s dismay, was in packets that were sat on top of his food. Allan is a bit of a clean freak at the best of times so he didn’t like the idea of packets which could have been stored anywhere with bacteria on the outside being sat on top of his food. I thought he was maybe a bit more worried about this than he should have been, but it is something that was a little odd. Most places will prefer to have their sauces in a dish. If not they’ll usually be either somewhere separate along with everything else in a packet, or on the table in a little jar. It didn’t ruin his meal, but it certainly made him a little less comfortable eating it. Overall though he said it was decent, which is three thumbs sideways. And then we were asked to leave. (No, no, it didn’t happen!)

===Dessert===

Our plates and two rounds worth of glasses were then cleared… and then we waited… the waitress asked if we wanted any more drinks, we said no and that was that. We weren’t offered any sort of dessert menu and the staff seemed a bit more concerned about setting up cups and saucers, presumably for breakfast for guests the next day. There was nothing on the menu we had seen before that mentioned dessert (other than a quick mention of ice cream on the kids menu) so I’m honestly not even sure if they do them. I can’t seem to find anything on the website either. So, we’d either outstayed our welcome and the kitchen had closed and we weren’t warned, or they don’t do dessert, or the staff had simply forgotten to ask. Yes, we could have piped up, and if we were more in the mood for dessert then we would have, however, I would argue that a customer in a restaurant should never HAVE to ask. Most places will offer a look at the dessert menu as practice. It may have been an oversight, but it left us feeling a little underwhelmed by the service, despite the staff being generally quite polite. And then we were asked to leave. In our minds.

===The price===

The Bill came to £30 which covered the three starters, Allan’s haddock and five drinks (Allan stuck to his one Coke throughout). Add on the £20 that Sloan spent it on the voucher and that brings the bill up to £50. If you DIDN’T have our voucher, you can add on £13.90 for the full price of the steaks and that brings you to £63.90 meaning it was 21.30 each. Not terrible even at full price, though, again, I may have felt a bit overcharged for the quality of the food.

===The staff===

The staff were all polite enough, though they maybe need to concentrate a little harder on taking care of people past asking how the food is. We did feel a little like we’d been forgotten about after our meals were finished. The confusion over the voucher wasn’t very reassuring either and dessert not even being mentioned was just strange. The mistake with the steak being cooked to the wrong specifications was a little disappointing too. Overall though, the service was nowhere near the worst I’ve had. It didn’t really leave me wanting more either though, which is a shame.

===The Atmosphere===

One thing I couldn’t quite decide if I liked or not was the atmosphere of the restaurant. Noise levels were just right music wise, with a rather amusing CD of classical/instrumental versions of pop music (Elton John’s “Can you feel the love tonight?” being one that I was serenading Sloan with as the waitress arrived to take the order!). It wasn’t distracting and gave the occasional giggle when one of us realised what the song was. The thing I wasn’t overly fond of was that the hotel is right next to a train line. Every five to ten minutes you’d hear a rather loud rumbling of the trains going past outside. While it wasn’t unbearable, it was slightly distracting, though I can’t quite tell if it was distracting in an interesting way or in an annoying way. Possibly a little of both.

===The Toilets===

Before we shuffled awkwardly out the door, I popped into the loos which were in the reception area of the hotel off to the left, next to the staircase. The loo’s can always take points off easily for me, but these ones didn’t have any issues. They were a bit old looking, but not in a dilapidated way. They fit the older style of the hotel nicely. They were clean and didn’t smell bad. They were also all on the same level as the restaurant and exits so there would be no problems for those in a wheelchair. Good show!

===The Verdict===

The place is alright, but not as fantastic as I was expecting from the hype I’ve heard elsewhere. That being said, most of the hype was about their Indian menu and Allan did say that his pakoras were fantastic so I’d be tempted to try that if it goes on an offer sometime soon. As it stands though, the traditional food was just a bit lacking. The quality was ok, but not as high as I would have thought for the price. Sloan gave the place three stars out of five, Allan agreed with her. I’d give the place a four myself, but that gives it an overall score much closer to three so I’ll have to stick to it. I’d say it’s decent as long as you can get your food on an offer, and they do offers on groupon, itison and wowcher often, so keep an eye out if you are in the area. Three stars out of five and a recommendation on the proviso you go when they have a deal on.

• Stayed October 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were lucky enough to have a steak groupon for the panmure. We had a fantastic meal good steaks a little more cooked than I like but a fantastic taste. We had starters which were very good and certainly the curries looked and smelt fantastic so we will be back. The staff were attentive and well turned out. This is a good local, not fancy but very welcoming with a good range of food.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I spent 1 night here with my wife and 2 very young children. We arrived extremely late (2 AM) and were instantly made to feel so welcome. Travel cots were already laid out in our room for us. The night porter arranged warm milk for our baby and offered us food if we wanted it. Or room was large and comfortable.
The hotel itself is a beautiful old building with some lovely original features maintained. It's located right on the golf course and beside the sea making for very pleasent views. There is plenty near-by to occupy the children with great public play grounds, the beach, a coastal cycle/walking path, etc.
The staff couldn't do enough for us. It's true, this isn't a boring, new and fresh Holiday Inn style hotel, rather something from the good old days with tons of character and staff who actually care about the service they provide.
Thank you all for looking after us so well!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family