“Overall lovely experience”

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Overall lovely experience”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This was our first visit to Dundee and the ferry and it will definitely not be our last. We came to the ferry to visit our daughter who moved there last year and couldn't have wished for a nicer experience. Our room was lovely, very quaint and prettily decorated. It was very nice having complimentary water, robes and slippers and the room also has a very comfortable settee which is always welcome rather than sitting on the bed. The staff were very helpful, welcoming and friendly, the breakfasts were lovely, plentiful and tasty.
We stayed for 3 nights and despite being on the corner of a busy road had no problems with noise pollution. The bed was comfortable and the overall experience was grand. We will definitely be using this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Winniesgirl56
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Winniesgirl,
Thank you for your wonderful review, as I've said a hundred times before, it really does brighten up our week, it creates the " feel good " factor for myself and my colleagues. It's so lovely when residents show their appreciation, we would all love to see you back again, then we can all thank you personally. See you soon.
Once again, many many thanks,
Jeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here for our first time to visit daughter who has recently moved into the Ferry, and certainly were not disappointed. The rooms have lovely furnishings and beds very comfortable. Staff exceptionally friendly Victoria deserves a medal with running reception and serving breakfast both with a pleasant smile and welcome. Speaking of breakfast its amazing, Chef - Brilliant!! No sooner have you ordered and it has arrived. Didn't use pool facilities but went for a wee nosey, thinking it was going to be on the small side, definitely not it is surprisingly big. Some other reviewers mentioned about the traffic noise, well it is on a corner of a busy wee village - which enables you a short stroll into the town for all those beautiful little shops - the noise didn't bother us one bit. The only downside is car parking - total nightmare - those Jeep/people carrier owners etc just do not have any thought or respect for other users and took up 2 spaces or parking alongside the wall and blocking other cars in. Once we got a space the car didn't move the whole weekend. It appeared that ones going for dinner used the car park so therefore residents arriving back from a day out could not get a space. A suggestion to the owners, a key pad barrier which reception hold the magic number each day changing for residents, Overall a lovely stay with lovely surroundings. Will deffo be back to sample your infamous Curry though, as we didn't have enough time this visit.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back would probably hear the train rattling down the track, but again that wouldn't...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear LadybugJJ,
All of us just love you to death ! A fantastic review such as yours, lights up our day, Indeed our whole week. All my colleagues ( especially Victoria ! ) are really " chuffed " You are quite right about the difficulty in parking a car, the space only takes about 12 vehicles, which of course creates a few problems. As you probably realise, we have residents, diners, taxis and discerning customers parking to pick up one of our famous majestic Indian curry meals ( See Michelin Guide ! ) We are working on a solution, which involves buying land close by, hopefully by next year we will be able to accommodate around 40 to 50 vehicles. Once again, many many thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.
Jeff
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were visiting my daughter and decided to stay here. The rooms are clean and tidy, no complaints at all. The staff are friendly and helpful.Not much more I can say really. I'd rate it at 3 star. Good overnighter, but not sure if I'd like to spend a week there. Ist floor rooms are very good, but we hd to move to ground floor on our third night. You can't leave the window open all night.........

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank George C
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear George C,
We are indeed honoured to be reviewed by a professional reviewer, or perhaps, even a professional in the hospitality industry, over 50 reviews I believe, WOW ! World wide traveller WOW ! I understand on your arrival at our hotel, you were extremely disgruntled by the fact that your accommodation provider had reserved you into a twin room, when in fact you had requested a double, this of course was not our fault, however I believe my colleagues managed to re-locate you on your 3rd night into a double en-suite room. I'm sure you must have appreciated their concern. We are all very happy with your positive comments, but a little unhappy & disappointed with your negative ones. We do appreciate that you feel you would not like to stay with us for as week or so, but can assure you, the feeling is completely mutual, why stay if you are unhappy, it just makes our colleagues unhappy as well.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Not for the first time we were delighted to stay at this superb , family run hotel. The standards offered by this unique hotel are way above the "Travel Inn" type properties who charge similar prices. This is s true hotel, fantastic facilities including a pool, and lovely personal touches. Tea, coffee, biscuits, water and sweets complimentary. The breakfast is to die for, nothing too much trouble. I had two perfectly poached eggs and quality black pudding, as well and as much toast as I wanted. The rooms have fabulous modern televisions...the picture so clear it felt like the screen was coming out to meet you !!!!
Keep up the good work, we will never go anywhere else in Dundee.

Room Tip: The lovely lady who owns this hotel has decorated every room in a very special way. Every room is go...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Duncan1955
Dear Duncan,
What can I say ! What a fabulous review, readers of this will think that you are my Dad, I can assure you folks, we are not related in any way ( at least not that I know of !! ) Joking aside, thank you very much for your wonderful comments. The brilliant & talented young breakfast chef was ecstatic when he read your appreciative words on his cooked culinary breakfast creations, now that he knows how to poach an egg & grill black pudding, he wants to move on to steak pies and scampi !! I have to say, the young trainee has a fantastic career ahead of him. Once again Duncan, many many thanks for making our day. Well done.
Kianga
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights while visiting family in Broughty Ferry. I found all the staff really friendly and helpful and I liked the charming decor which seems to be different in each room. I started off in a room facing the front road which was very noisy but I was changed to another room the next morning with no fuss. I loved the dressing gown and extra touches. However I have to agree with the review about the uncomfortable bed. This and my night with no sleep due to traffic noise are my only gripes. It is a quaint hotel and I would be happy to stay again when next in The Ferry.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by traffic noise ask for a room that doesn't face the front road.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Mary Kianga,
Many thanks for your very positive review, it is all very much appreciated. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We have taken on board your comments re uncomfortable bed, however we do have some residents who find the beds too hard, too soft, too springy, not springy enough, too high or too low from the floor. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Unfortunately It's not quite as simple as " how would you like your eggs, hard or soft ? " Bit more complex with beds ! All residents have their own preferences. My colleagues are all delighted that you found them friendly and helpful, it just makes their day. Hopefully Mary, we will see you again in the not too distant future.
Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed two nights in this very nice hotel in a part of Scotland I had never visited before. My first impressions on checking in were of friendly, welcoming and competent staff. My single room was small but well equipped and comfortable. The fact there were bookings for seventy people on a Wednesday night in September is an indication of the quality of the food served in both restaurant and bar. I ate in bar both nights and the food was excellent. Broughty Ferry is a very nice suburb of the city of Dundee with a number of nice pubs in walking distance. It is a great base for someone there to play golf as I was and I certainly intend to return. The small pool was an unexpected bonus and nice to relax in after a warm day on the golf course.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GlasLep
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear GlasLep,
Many thanks for your complimentary words, they are very much appreciated. As in line with most other hotels, our single en-suite rooms are rather compact, maybe "cosy " would be a more appropriate word ! A considerable amount of our clients book de-luxe double en-suite rooms for single occupancy, at a supplement of £11 per night. We are all delighted you enjoyed our culinary offerings, and of course the added bonus of using our pool for a relaxing swim. Once again, many many thanks for your very kind words, please let us know when you intend to return, as it would be our pleasure to offer you a complimentary room upgrade. Hope to see you soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was a return visit to the Hotel Broughty Ferry and as expected, it was just like coming home. Lovely bedroom, charming staff who remembered us from our last stay and who obviously take great pride in working there. Ate in both the bar and the restaurant and the food was excellent in both. Only thing wrong was that we only stayed 4 days and we would have gladly stayed for 4 weeks. Looking forward to our next visit to 'The Ferry'

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mr_mrbaron
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Good afternoon Mr Baron,
Many thanks for your terrific review, it just makes our day when we receive lovely comments such as yours. Your wish to stay for 4 weeks rather than 4 days, is exactly the same as mine. Only I wish every resident would stay for 4 weeks !! I believe during your stay with us, you visited our sister pub on Karaoke night, it's a real blast with compere T.A. commonly known as Tonsorial Appendage ! giving it his all. Again many thanks for choosing The Hotel Broughty Ferry, see you all very soon.
King regards,