“Fantastic Service”

Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

This was a last minute decision and we got service with a smile, clean sheets and comfy rooms. Would actively seek it out to revisit, but cant complain either

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Rockhampton, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

On first impressions, the room was larger than normal and it looked neat enough. In the middle of the night we woke to dripping coming from the roof (we weren't on the top floor). Turning on the light revealed water dripping out of the smoke detector and then we were left in the dark as the light shorted out. We quickly went downstairs to the reception area. No-one was to be seen and we called the emergency number, only to get message bank. After trying the number of the hotel, which rang downstairs but didn't get forwarded, we tried twice more before eventually the owner rang us back. Her first response was 'is the bed wet?', 'no?', after which we insisted that she come and investigate. She obviously lives offsite, as it took 15 minutes for her to arrive. After arriving, she launched into a long explanation of how this had happened to a room at the other end of the hotel and had collapsed the roof of the restaurant - comforting!

Instead of moving us to another room, and then getting to fixing up the problem, she launched into another explanation of what had happened. After 45 minutes of being awake in the middle of the night we were a bit over it and asked for another room. We were moved to a twin room instead of a double (the only one available apparently, although there wasn't another sole at dinner, or car in the car park). This room was fine, but was only recently painted and smelt very strongly of paint. In both rooms the wind was easily coming in through the closed windows. It was quite draughty and cold.

Breakfast was adequate, but I wouldn't go as far to say it was good. When checking out, the manager was very apologetic and we appreciated her attempts to negotiate with the owner to obtain a refund (this took some negotiating with the owner as she wasn't willing to give us anything initially). Eventually we received a 50% refund for the room. I still think it should have been more. If these events hadn't happened, perhaps I would have given a better review, but the owners tardy response to a problem and her unwillingness to give a refund justify our rating. Very disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SS99_11

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed here because of the Open Golf. We paid £95 for B&B, which was good value as all other hotels bumped up their prices because of the golf - and we booked in November 2009! I was worried after reading the other reviews, but whilst there were some issues, the most important thing to me was that the bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the shower was good! Reception area could be better and there were a few jobs that needed finishing off (skirting in bathroom, new locks on door). We found the hotel staff to be friendly and we had a meal in the Indian restaraunt, which was fine, but a bit pricey. We didn't eat breakfast as we left for the golf very early. Main complaints are that the website needs to be updated to refelect the hotel and small jobs need to be finished.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
St Helens, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

too late to change having seen the review in June as attending the open golf and all hotels booked up. Yes it's been refurbuished but my 'Mr Bodge'. The towel rail was hanging off the wall, the bath was too short and the tap cover fell off when turning on the shower!! The bedroom doors are like cardboard and anyone moved anywhere above or belopw and you could hear them!! The old lady on the desk was down right rude! She had no idea what she was doing. After having complained she then promptly told the staff in the indian restaurant located in the hotel all about me, whilst I was sat having my meal!! Service at breakfast was slow! Only positive - it was clean!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reidandfrance
dundee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

My parents stayed here when visiting me and booked it on The Carlton's own website.
It stated the hotel had been refurbished and was modernised with large, quiet bedrooms.
However, when my parents checked in, only the front of house had been refurbished-the bedrooms were outdated apart from a flat screen tv and pretty small. When having a drink in the restaurant, we were hounded by staff to have a meal with them. Car parking is really cramped and their car was nearly wrecked by a lorry from the restaurant trying to turn in the drive!
The restaurant and bar are not even owned by the hotel-the hotel has sold that part, which has been turned into a indian restaurant and no cocktail bar, again which it said it had on the website!
The worse part is when checking in, my parents were told they must be back in the hotel by 11pm or they would be locked out!!! So we had to rush our evenings to make sure my parents did not get locked out-yet on both occassions, the restaurant was still in full swing and people were in and out the restaurant! This meant the place was still noisy while my parents were trying to sleep!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

Nice breakfast, gears you up for the day
Nice cozy beds
Nice rooms
A very nice and a helpful owner and manager

Overall a good place to stay, but a bit far away from the city center

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sonuabhi
yorkshire lady
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

I am all for small hotels and have spent the last ten years staying in many hotels whilst travelling on business. However this is one of the worst! Firstly hotel carpark is a nightmare to get in and out of and you have to park on a very steep slope. When I arrived the reception area looked like a building site and there was only one poor elderly lady working (doing everything from receptionist, handyman to waitress!). She was very sweet but did not have a clue what she was doing! My room (1) was very basic, no proper lock on the door, just a screw bolt!! As a women on my own I had to push the sofa against the door to feel safe! The heating did not work, so had a plug in heater! The bathrooms have no heating, so ok at this time of year, but must be freezing in winter! Also the tv reception was dreadful (like watching through snow) and elderly lady had no idea how to fix it! On the plus side the room was clean!

Meal wise, I did inform them a week in advance that I had a gluten allergy, but no special arrangements were made and I had very little chose from the meau. Breakfast was fine. Also their machine would not accept my business Amex card so had to pay cash myself. Really a very poor hotel which appears to be run on a shoe string.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business