Dundee Carlton Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

List of faults:- Reception desk sticky/unclean; stairs had uneven, dangerous treads;room had paper thin walls; large stain on carpet; decor tatty & dirty, both bedside lamps not working, damaged blackout blind; sticky bedside table; the provided teabags were not individually wrapped; extractor fan in tiniest en-suite did not work; no hooks/shelves to put anything, when getting washed; toilet seat aged/unhygienic & 25 years overdue for replacing; the pump assisted flushing system noisier than rocket shelling in the Gaza Strip; 2 inch gap between shower tray &skirting; after being told to choose breakfast items the night before, had to reorder the next morning.. when it arrived it was cold & as vegetarians were treated to less than half a plateful, with meat items simply excluded & not substituted with more beans/mushrooms/tomatoes which is the norm ; had to ask if we help ourselves to cereal & toast (from a faulty toaster)
STAY HERE AT YOUR PERIL!!

Room Tip: A tip for a good room is to use a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jimcG8735SV
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have been staying at a rather run down allegedly 3 star hotel in Dundee. It is the first in my travelling life I was asked to choose breakfast items the night before! But to day the I went down to breakfast at 8.50am to be told that breakfast finishes at 8.45am (last order). In there brochure it list breakfast as 7.00am - 9.00am. Do yourself a favour and give this place a miss!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose the Dundee Carlton
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2014

we booked this hotel for the 24/03/14 as we were in Dundee for a day course at the University , it looked fantastic on the website,& value for money, also close to the city centre and the University. When we arrived, nobody was there to great us till 4pm, but states on the website we can have access to rooms at 2pm. There was a note left at reception to say somebody would'nt be back until 4pm. I found this very unprofessional & disappointing to say the least, but i gave the hotel the benefit of the doubt. At 3.50pm, an Asian man came to reception, & we explained we had a room booked, so he must have contacted sandra, (the owner) and said she had guests. The owner Sandra then turned up & said she went home to walk her dog. Sandra then stated, she was retired, but had to return to the buisness, as her husband had passed away, & had to return to the buisness for financial reasons. She also said she would be selling up to the owners of the Indian restraunt next door & retire by june/july, We felt we had her life story within 5 minutes of arriving. I did feel sorry for her as i have a heart, but she still has to to be professional & meet guest standards & requirements. We had to go in to city centre. in a hurry as i wanted to treat my partner to a nice romantic evening meal. So we did not have time to go over the room. When we arrived back to the hotel around 6pm, we had to get ready for going out for a meal , so i started running a bath, which was a struggle to get the tap on, and off, thats when we discovered things were wrong with the room. There was mould around the shower door, windows not opening,cobwebs on widows, the blinds were filthy, and not working. Drafts coming in the room. No heating in the room after 9pm. The super king size upgraded (superior room) turned out to be 2 single beds put together , so i went down to complain to the owner sandra at 9pm, but no one was there AGAIN! I then went up to room to connect to the internet,on my laptop, but could not connect as the password was incorrect, i am very up to date with computers, so i knew there was something not right. I then called laterooms.com, and expressed my issues & concerns. Even the lady from laterooms.com could not contact the owner. So the lady from laterooms.com said she would accept my concerns & horrible experience not to pay for the room , and cancelled it there and then. I am really angry and upset as i couldn't get connected to the internet to look for any other hotels,so we decided to stay in as we did not know dundee & had no where else to go. We just wanted home. In the morning after a long night with hardly any sleep, i dropped my partner off at the university , and returned to the hotel to discuss my concerns with the owner,who was not present AGAIN! As i had to be signed out by 11am , i told the cleaner who was there. i was not paying for the room my partner and i, had so much issues, and that laterooms was dealing with the matter.The cleaner claire then called Sandra (the owner). I accepted the call , i told sandra all my concerns & issues , she called me and my partner liars, and said laterooms never called her , she also said she was going to the police and get me done for fraud, which i cant see why as i gave laterooms all my correct details, & they cancelled my details & accepted our concerns that evening. I left the hotel with good bye your hotel is, falling apart, & stop ripping people off. & false adverising, we would of had a better sleep in my car. I never paid a penny for the room. I have since noticed the owner sandra kept trying to take money out my account, & finally suceeded from my bank on the 28th march, which is fraud as i never gave her permission to do so. I will have this hotel investigated, i have now saught legal advice, & will be compensated for our deplorable experience!! This woman should be ashamed of herself. Also the Indian resteraunt service, & standards are disgusting, i would rather have a chipper supper. Only my opinion, but you can tell its a very run down, joined buisness. Its due to the fact of embezzling con artists. enter at your own risks folks. The Indian resteraunt is a rip off too, we paid £1.50 for extra prawns, & recieved shell peeled prawns, that was meant to be king prawns. Do your research correctly, before booking with these scumbags. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE, RIPPED OFF.COM. Also dont book through laterooms.com. They dnt care, as long as their making ££££

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chris k
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I booked this hotel through booking.com for £55 per night when I got there I was told this was a mistake and the cost was £60 but on check out the invoice was for £55.......seemed like a fiddle going on to me.

My room was dirty and in desperate need of a refurb. The bathroom was dirty and had a very unpleasant smell.

The hotel restaurant only serves Indian food so I had to go out to eat as I cannot eat spicey food. The breakfast was terrible. I stayed at The Carlton Hotel in Prestwick while on this trip and they did charge £55 and was 100 times bet than this dump.

Room Tip: DONT book a room here
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014

There is no fitness centre or swimming pool, but if your looking for a comfortable sleep in a clean, friendly environment then this is perfect, me and my partner stayed here as he was working near by. It's ideal for business persons as well as couples looking for a break.

The staff were lovely, very helpful and accommodating, breakfast was brilliant after reading several reviews I thought to my self where on earth had my partner booked us in! However soon as we arrived the lady was fantastic, so kind and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable warm and the shower in our room was lovely.

The views from the front are lovely too you can see the river from the breakfast room and main entrance and some bedrooms on the front, there was no traffic and the hotel was very tranquil.

I would defiantly stay here again and recommend this hotel to others looking for affordable, comfortable, relaxing, stay, with fantastic internet access!

Room Tip: The views from the front are lovely, you can see the river from the breakfast room and main entrance but if you do want a river view I would recommend asking for a front room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business