“Good value”

Jolly's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
“Good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Been a few times since the premises were re opened by Wetherspoon's. No one could criticise the prices but food isn't always great and the service a bit impersonal. Drinks prices are very good however and a great place for a quick and convenient meal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
JollysHotel, Manager at Jolly's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
I’m sorry to hear you find the service impersonal we really appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear you have visited us a few times now and will hopefully see you again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
dundee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Visited Sunday 18th May 2014 with friends, a 9 month old baby and a two-year-old.

The two-year-old got restless therefore I took him for an ice cream from the shop across the road. We got a one scoop tub (tiny amount) and as we sat back down at the table, a staff member came over and asked us to leave as ice cream was not allowed on the premises. We said we had just bought a round of drinks so could we take the drinks outside to the beer garden and let the child eat the ice cream there, to which he said no.

As we got up to leave he also asked "have you been eating? If not you shouldn't have the kids in here" to which we replied we haven't been eating but had been there for over an hour. He then said "we have a two drink policy when you are with children so you will have to leave" no apology... nothing!

Never heard such nonsense or have been treated this way in a pub in all my life. Will not be returning.

3 Thank Sarah M
JollysHotel, Manager at Jolly's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
I am sorry that you feel we have let you down on this occasion and I would like to personally apologise for any disappointment during your visit but Due to licensing restrictions we can only have children onsite if they are having a table meal. Which in turn we use a two drink guide to monitor this.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I'm a support worker and had a client who is a wheelchair user here for lunch. Not wheelchair user friendly at all. Staff didnt try to help me move seats out the way to allow the room for my clients wheelchair to manovere through the impossibly narrow eating area not to mention how frustrated my client was trying to reach the disabled toilet....in fact they seemed reluctant for me to be moving things and stood back watching me with an annoyed expression on their faces! None of them even had the curtosy of holding a door open when we left. They were all rushed off their feet and so getting on with their job seemed more important than taking a minute out their day to be helpful and compassionate. Food was very basic. The panini was like cardboard and came with 5 chips...no side salad/garnish (and i love my food so never usually have complaints there), my clients Mac/cheese was like the tinned stuff you can buy. There was also a man going around taking photos (for promotion purpose i think), but wasnt asking people's permission if he can take the pics and was snapping away at folk eating with nobody explaining what this random guy was up to!! Needless to say, neither of us will be back!

2 Thank Pugglesworth
JollysHotel, Manager at Jolly's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
On behalf of Jolly's Hotel, kindly accept our sincere apologies.
Your comments and observations have been taken seriously and the appropriate action has been taken to ensure better service thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for giving us the opportunity to improve.
dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

After reading a lot of bad reviews for this pub i was a bit dubious about going in but i do like weatherspoons so thought i would give it a try. Went in today 17/5/14 first impressions were really nice. Was busy when we went in just after 1pm got told we could find a seat in the lounge area. Found a seat in the booth area my hubby went up and ordered i had cheese and bacon burger and chips hubby had chilli hotdog chips and onion rings. Order came to us within 15 mins which was a reasonable time to wait. Food was fine too although my bacon was a bit chargrilled which i dont like but i ate most of my meal and myself and my husband felt full after our meal. Decor inside is lovely staff seem friendly enough toilets were clean although only 3 toilet cubicals but not a problem. So go and visit for yourself as the saying goes you dont know until you try everybody has different views on things but just dont go on all the negative reviews go and see it for yourself. They also have a lovley outdoor area too which will be good IF we get a summer

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
JollysHotel, Manager at Jolly's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you so much for your nice comment, we really appreciate the feed back. We pride ourselves on our excellent value for money. Glad you enjoyed it and liked the new look. Hopefully see you again soon in the beer garden but I guess your right sun in Scotland is rare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

First visit since Jollys reopened, was pleasantly surprised . Meals are good value for money. Service was very quick for a Saturday night. Staff were all friendly and keen to service you at the bar. Tables were cleared quickly after we finished our meal. Will certainly be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JollysHotel, Manager at Jolly's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you so much for your nice comment, we really appreciate the feed back. We pride ourselves on our excellent value for money. Glad you enjoyed it and hopefully see you again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

First visit went for a drink after a meal out with friends, large place but found to dark for my liking, not very busy for a Monday evening, looked like a few locals in for a pint, didint see food being served, one guy kicked off at the bar with very choice language which no member of staff challenged, poor show I was embarrased, he stopped shouting and remained at the bar, first impression not good

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I ate here through the week as a party of 6 during a day out in Broughty Ferry, assuming that a wetherspoons is an easy bet for a quick, satisfactory, good value lunch. As we are not from the area we didn't realise it was relatively new...... until we got inside! The decor was lovely & everything has been finished to a high standard so it is a pleasant environment but we waited about 35 minutes for our food but when it finally arrived we were one meal short for my sister! We pointed this out to one waitress who sent the original waitress (who took the order) to our table 5 minutes later who looked at the receipt & told us it hasn't been ordered & that we needed to pay another £7; however she then realised it was actually on the receipt & had been paid for just not made! When the chicken arrived for everyonr it was in edible, it was burnt to a crisp & had a terrible smell!! Chicken was the special that day so I assume it's a huge grill with lots of chicken (over) cooking but it was disgusting! I personally had lasagne which was very nice & the best choice as the rest of the party who ordered chicken were left hungry!
I do think it is just teething problems & slightly disorganised which will hopefully improve. The staff were very nice, I feel sorry for them as it is organised chaos at the moment!

• Stayed May 2014
JollysHotel, Manager at Jolly's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
I’m glad to hear you like our new look, also that the staff very nice. I am sorry that you feel we have let you down on this occasion and I would like to personally apologise for any disappointment during your visit.