“small but clean”

Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Perth, Scotland
“small but clean”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Booked this accommodation at the last minute - paid £35 for the night room only. It is about a 25minute walk into the centre of Dundee but there's a bus stop at the entrance which is very handy. The room itself was quite small but very clean and for £35 per night, the bathroom was a wet room which was fine, and again very clean. We were in Dundee for the Blues Festival and accommodation was quite scarce! We got a taxi back to West Park in the evening which cost us about £6.00. All in all we agreed would would probably stay here again, only for one night - too cramped for a couple to stay any longer than that.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your short stay with us and look forward to your visit again. Hope you enjoyed the Blues Festival!

Christine M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at West Park for 3 days. I didn't know that I was booking Student Digs. When we got there we saw it was a university we were confused. The reception staff were welcoming and we found our 'digs'. The room was basic but no less so than a Travel Lodge. It was clean and fine for the price. We were very mislead when the advert wrote 'the rooms have tea/coffee, TV and full Scottish breakfast' but the breakfast was at an extra cost. I confronted the manager and told him that the advert was misleading. He then said we could have bacon roll and coffee but the receptionist said we couldn't. It had to be a full Scottish or nothing. There was no excuse for getting this info so wrong. The bed was uncomfortable. Would I stay there again? Probably not.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 2 which faced away from the conference/dining building to it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
We are advertised as Campus accommodation and I apologise if you felt you were not aware of this. I also apologise for the confusion over breakfast. We offer a “room only” rate at all times online. Guests can then chose to add breakfast if they wish. As our double room only rate is from £17.50per person per night, to include a full Scottish breakfast in this price would be above expectations. Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is very important for us.

Israel
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel is located within reasonable distance (25-30 minutes walk) from the city center. The rooms are clean and tidy. The shower/bathroom is spartan, with only a shower separating between the two. This is a budget hotel, so we were not expecting luxury, however the rooms are too small by any standard, and felt like a small, dimly-lit cage. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone other than single students or budget travelers.

Room Tip: Front (Perth road) facing rooms can expect significant noise from the road and from the hotel's...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. The accommodation we offer is campus accommodation and is advertised as so. The bedrooms are slightly smaller than an average budget hotel and our price fairly reflects this. From £17.50 per person for a double room we offer good, clean, value for money accommodation at a very acceptable price. I am sorry to hear it was not what you were expecting. Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is very important for us.

Christine M

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

I work all over the country, I've stoped on some strange places, but this.......something else!

Our booking service got us in here at the last minuet due to graduation week- our normal hotel was double booked. On arrival, I informed the young man on reception i was only staying for 4 nights, this was fine and my bill was altered accordingly because we had to pay up front - then suddenly, my company credit card was declined - even with funds on it. However, it then came to light that there were multiple invoices for all our group, all with different prices.....and all in my name? Nobody in reception seemed to have a grasp on what was going on! I had to ask for a copy of my decline slip from the card machine because it was quickly whisked away and shredded along with my adjusted invoice - apparently 'that's what we do'.

I had to get someone from head office to pay my bill and they were charged for 5 nights - when I raised this on check out, I was kurtly told that I was wrong, there was no record of me informing anyone I was only staying 4 nights (it had probably been shredded) and I had already paid, so there was nothing that I could do about it.

I can't really fault the rooms, they were what anyone would expect from a university campus. However, the housekeeping staff must knock off early because on more than one occasion, our groups rooms were not serviced at all! One room had a broken shower head, so this was mentioned to reception - on return to our rooms, the leaky shower had been fixed in room A, but now room B had.....a leaky shower. This went on all week. We actually laughed about this - it was so ridiculous you couldn't make it up

I see someone else on here has commented on the air con/extractor unit that whined away like concord taking off all night - this was joined in its late night symphony by the bar staff, adding pucussion by throwing bottles into a big steel bin (one at a time) until the small hours!

In fairness, the staff were all very pleasant and polite (other than the mentioned ones who came across as rude or lost). They smiled
when we raised any problems and did try to sort them out.

The only food we had here was breakfast, and this was reasonable. You could request anything you liked and it would eventually arrive at your table. The scrambled egg I suspect may come from a packet rather than an egg!

I have read the other reviews and I aknowlage that others have had a better experience than my team and I have had. But having a great wealth of experience in staying in hotels, this outfit is far from slick and has some questionable practices. They are charging people to stay in this establishment, and even though they don't charge the earth, they need to get their house in order!

If the keystone cops ran a hotel, this would be it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank NurseNomadic
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you were so disappointed with your stay at West Park. We did discuss your issues at the time of your stay and understood the matter to have been resolved. We rely on information passed to us via booking agents. I apologise that the information we received was not correct. Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is very important for us.

Angouleme, France
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the West Park as the hotels where I usually stay were all booked this week. Its location is not very convenient if you do not have a car. Count £6 for the taxi from the train, maybe slightly less from the airport.
The "hotel" is more like a seminar complex that happens to fill its rooms as a hotel when it needs to. The rooms are small and very basic. I ended up sleeping all 3 nights with the window opened as the heater could not be stopped. However, the hotel is in a quiet area so it did not bother me.
The breakfast is over-priced at £8 but if you choose to get your own breakfast, the nearest supermarket is 10 minutes walk away.
Very annoying: There is no wi-fi in the rooms, just a LAN cable that does not work and I was told it's £4.50 to get the wi-fi in the pub.
Overall, I think £52 a night without breakfast for such amenities was a bit over-priced. However, I did not have a bad stay and would not mind staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
“West Park” is Tayside’s largest Conference and Events Centre. Situated within the grounds is West Park Campus. During the summer months this 3 star Campus accommodation is available to the general public and offers excellent value for money and is an ideal choice for those seeking clean, comfortable, en-suite accommodation. Residents can make use of the excellent breakfasts served within the Victorian Mansion House on site.
The LAN cable in the bedrooms you mention is for term time students only. Wifi is currently being installed in the bedrooms and will be available for use within a few weeks.
Our prices at the time of your stay reflected the accommodation availability in Dundee. Generally our prices are £35 per room per night and offer excellent value for money. I am glad you did enjoy your stay and will happily return again.

sheffield
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed here for two nights when attending a wedding (also held at West Park). The rooms are student halls, with a basic wet-room bathroom and simple furnishings. Our room was perfectly adequate for a cheap place to sleep and get ready. Breakfast was a standard buffet with a few hot items, priced perhaps a little high at £8 per person. Staff were helpful and we got a good nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your short stay with us, what a great wedding!

Scotland
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed as part of a conference held in Dundee. The rooms are basic but were clean and tidy. Food was provided as part of the stay and was surprisingly good. Fantastic value for money for a short visit.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay during the conference. West Park is known for its great food! Everything is handmade by our team of chefs (including the conference cookies you will have had). We use natural, ingredients from local suppliers. Visit us again if you are staying on vacation in Dundee!