“Excellent value and great food”
Review of The Portland Arms

The Portland Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilmarnock
The Portland Arms
Ranked #7 of 8 Kilmarnock B&B and Inns
“Excellent value and great food”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I've been in this restaurant a couple of times and each time I'm completely satisfied, really nice food and good service... I did not stay at any time as I live fairly local to the establishment, but if you want good food and good value I heartily advise a wee look in!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Twixer1

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 24 April 2014

just visited M'Christies for a meal. the meal was excellent, reasonably priced for a 3 course accompanied with coffee. excellent staff. quickly served. had lasange with salad and chips well worth it would visit again .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sarah3107
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Went last night had set menu £11.95. Excellent value, food lovely drink reasonable. Restaurant was very busy always a good sign. However we were served very quickly. I had late and fish and chips, my wife had chicken kebabs and salmon bake. Tea and coffee is included in the deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We went to McChristies the other night for a family meal as its local and my parents had been a few days earlier and said their £7.95 two course menu was superb value. There was a large group of us due to visit so we decided to book and were perplexed to be told that we would all have to order off the set menu or none of us could. This seemed strange, but I was told this menu had plenty of choices so this should not be an issue. When we arrived and were seated it turned out they had a new festive set menu, which was £11.95 for two courses and I was told was almost identical to the recent £7.95. This was disappointing straight away. In defence the menu did also state in faint writing that it came with coffee, mince pies and crackers. However, I have still to receive a mince pie and coffee had to be requested rather than offered and I would have expected the crackers on the table. For starter I had haggis pakora, which was served with a mint and spicy tomato dip. This was a really nice dish, although I would have preferred the sweet chilli dip I had been told this dish used to be served with. Really nice though and for main I had steak pie, which was also good. I would have preferred slightly more vegetables and perhaps one or two more potatoes would have helped soak up all the sauce, but overall no complaints as it was a really nice dish. However, the chicken with haggis perhaps had too many potatoes as it was served on a bed of mash, but also with boiled potatoes. If you request chips instead of potatoes then you are still given the bed of mash with the chips simply replacing the boiled potatoes. Kids meals were really good value and the desserts all seemed to be thoroughly enjoyed. Overall a good visit, but not as much value in their festive menu as before as most starters are about £4 and most mains just over the £8 mark. Overall friendly service and food was nice

Room Tip: Nice restaurant hopefully £7.95 menu will return
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We went on a Tues evening and ordered off the set menu £10.95.Everyone really enjoyed their meals and it is of a high quality. There was also a good choice on the menus as well. If I was really critical I would say that the chips would be better home made. I will be eating here again as the value for money is very satisfactory.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
newmilns
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

My partner booked us a meal here for my birthday ...Good points and bad points ..as we were there slightly early, we went into the lounge for a drink ... We explained to the bar man that we were there for a meal and he would take our drinks through when we were ready...We then had to walk out on to main st and walk round the back of building gain access to resteraunt by luck it was a nice night and not raining ...not much good if pouring of rain and you are all dressed in your finary...Food was good excellent value ..my partner had large piece of haddock and I had lasagne followed by choc fudge cake for both of us ...a would say they could have give us a little time between courses as felt main course was no sooner down till pudding was served...lovely place to dine and staff very pleasant .

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I have been to McChristies' Well numerous times with my Wife and with my family and the quality of food and service have been consistently high. That being said however I do feel the quality of the food has dipped slightly. My Father had the black pudding salad on this visit and was disappointed with it, my Aunt was POSITIVELY FURIOUS with her meal. She had ordered the cooked ham salad and was presented with a salad with PROCESSED COLD HAM! Taking into account the cost of the meal you'd expect it to be proper meat. If I am honest I had a lovely meal, I can't remember my starter but I had the Cajun Chicken for my main and the Tablet Sundae for dessert and I really enjoyed it. Overall McChristies' used to be high quality, they have dipped but it wont take much to put it right.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family