“Heard new chef in town boy was i not disapointed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Foxbar Hotel

Foxbar Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Heard new chef in town boy was i not disapointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Always out and about looking for a good bite to eat after a hard weeks work! And through word of mouth heard there has been a new chef at the foxbar!! So decided to take the plunge!! To sum up foodwas fantastic ! A must try! Well done! A good change!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Craig8597

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I arrived on a quiet sunny and warm Sunday afternoon. No other cars in the car park adjacent to the front of the hotel bar. Bit concerning when I found the reception locked, but this was only because the staff were busy & security conscious.
Very friendly and quickly booked in.
Bedroom was surprisingly large , big kingsize bed and heating had been switched on for me prior to my arrival. Room clean. There was no bath, just a shower but that suits me fine.
Had evening mesl in the bistro. Staff again were very pleasant, particularly Jill the barmaid who didn't fuss but was attentive. I had home made lentil soup (delicious) and a tasty chicken curry with the best hand cut chips I have tasted for years. Just like my auntie's!! Couldn't find room for a sweet. Must go back!
Feeling that if I lived in Kilmarnock, this would be my local.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Richard L
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

The reviews I had read worried me slightly, but It was close to where I wanted to be, so I thought I would give it a go.

SURPRISE!!!!

The check in was very quick and easy with a friendly receptionist. (The reception is open 24 hours) Up to my room, and again SURPRISE, a nice large double room, en-suite, newly decorated, new carpet, modern bathroom, with extremely large shower, tea and coffee making facilities. Everything about my room was new, including the telephone.

On, my first morning, down for breakfast, a very friendly waitress to serve me, cereal, juice, coffee, toast and my full Scottish breakfast was there in a flash. No waiting. No complaints.

The whole of the hotel that I saw had been refurbished to a excellent standard.

The bar and bistro was all newly refurbed and clean, maybe the bar was just a bit too modern, it had a cafe feel to it, but having said that it was called a bistro and not a bar.

Old reviews mention loud music, the bar of old must have gone, I'm basically above the bar, and I cannot hear anything, maybe because they DON'T have music.

Kilmarnock, is a bit cold at the moment, but inside, my room is nice and warm.

I don't think people should take note of old reviews, as in my eyes, this is a value for money hotel, and personally I would stay here again.

Of course there has to be one gripe, the wifi, it's certainly is poor, and I was told my room was, the best room to get a siginal, glad I brought my dongle. Phone signal is is a full 5 on o2.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank DaveHTAFC
Turnberry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I booked a night as a bit of stress relief for myself and my partner. The fact the room had no window only added to the cosiness. We chose to eat in the hotel and the food was fresh, well presented, great sized portions and tasty too (not often you find all that in the one meal!). Staff were friendly and polite and happy to help with any request we had. Breakfast took a wee while to be served but was definitely worth the wait. Great food, great value for money and will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caity_x
Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here as we had a family party in Kilmarnock so booked in with my brother to stay here as it was in a convenient location for the party.
Upon arrival the receptionist had no record of us booking and asked for "a little help" in finding the booking (it's her job?)
Then eventually when she found our booking we were given our key and asked to pay before we went to our room.
We got to the room to find no cupboard, no desk, and 1 bath towel between the two of us. The shower didn't start, and when we got it started it was boiling got and neither of us could turn the knob to cool it down so had burning hot showers. Also the sink plug wouldn't open after my shave so had to hold it open to drain the water.
There was also a foul smell coming from one corner of the room.
The only good point I'd say about this hotel was the single bed (however with only one pillow) was actually very comfortable.
Finally, breakfast was served far too early for a Sunday morning (7-9.30) which resulted in us missing it.

We went down by 11 to check out but no sign of any receptionists for 5 minutes of waiting so just left our key on the desk and left, thankfully.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Calum D

Travellers are raving about these Kilmarnock hotels

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

the foxbar is a well known hotel in kilmarnock and has always had a good reputation for accomodation and food it has recently had a refurbishment and is fab i live near this hotel and know its fab they do lovely bar lunches and dinners

Room Tip: all the rooms have been refurbished
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alan w
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

On arriving at the hotel after 9pm, I couldn't get in despite ringing the bell for ages and emailing in advance that I would be after 9pm. I then went into the separate restaurant entrance and walked through a deserted hotel until I reached the reception area when at last two girls came to check me in. Having already paid for the first night's stay by Paypal, they wanted the second night's payment before giving me the room key. The room was very clean and spacious (king size), but there was no wardrobe, just a rail in a recess in the wall, and the TV was so small that I couldn't read teletext when I was sitting in bed! Furthermore, the shower had a mind of its own and the pressure was poor (a dribble) and the temperature control was very poor. In the morning, I went to breakfast to find a display of cereals, juices and milk alongside one bowl and one glass. Obviously I was the only one there. After 10 minutes, a young girl asked if I wanted breakfast (I was eating cereal at the time). I said yes but she had no menu so I settled for a cooked breakfast with everything. 'Everything' obviously didn't include an egg and on asking for coffee, I received it in one small cup but no pot for a refill. I felt like I was in amateur night in Cairo. Breakfast the next day was worse. After eating my cereals, and after a further 10 minutes had gone by, I lost my temper and had to go hunting for someone. I headed for the sound of clanking in the kitchen and was told that the chef had called in sick. Not my problem! I got my cooked breakfast, packed my bags and returned to reception. I handed over the key to the receptionist but the niceties of 'hope you had a good stay' or 'have a good journey' were totally ignored. I know the room rate was relatively cheap (£96 for 2 nights), but the service in this hotel was shocking and I will certainly not be repeating the experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lambman13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
The Park Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,984 reviews
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Piersland House Hotel

Been to Foxbar Hotel? Share your experiences!