“Gutted about our treatment” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smiths Hotel

and 1 more site!
Smiths Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirkintilloch
“Gutted about our treatment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 years then left for a while and came back and got treated poorly by the general manager didn't make us feel welcome at all even though they earnt a lot of money of our company I guess customer loyalty dosnt count for much here. The bar maids/men are amazing though and the food us outstanding don't expect much from the rooms though there pretty basic and tellys are neck breaking . All in all if u want a quick stay it will be ok but don't expect value for money

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Johnyboy12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Booked a last minute deal to stay here yesterday. It cost me £55 which is seriously overpriced for what could only be described as a crap place to spend a night! I arrived at the hotel and was given a key for my room. The room had a damp smell to it and was very grubby. The bathroom had mould and mildew on the tiles and smelled far from clean. The shower was broken and stuck on the "napalm" setting. After burning myself, I gave up. The toilet didn't flush properly either. The TV is mounted too high and at the wrong angle to watch it unless you are standing up next to the door whilst squinting your eyes. I told reception the shower wasn't working and toilet wasn't flushing and was told I could have another room key to use the shower in that room. I had a look and the room looked dirtier, smelled worse and had no remote control for the tv so I decided to stay put. The bed in my room had no headboard and was mounted on castors. If you moved on the bed i.e rolled over, the bed moved forward. Woke up repeatedly throughout the night because the bed was so uncomfortable and was moving from side to side like a fishing boat in the North Sea. At 4am I woke to find my bed in the middle of the room and because of the lack of a headboard, my pillows were on the floor and were lying on top of multiple insect traps. Not pleasant at all. I got up in the morning and went down for "breakfast". There were only 2 cleaners in the room and it was deadly silent, no radio, tv or even a "good morning". There was a choice of 4 small boxes of cereal, cold tea, cold coffee, slices of white bread, stale croissants and muffins. A terrible excuse for a breakfast and a very uncomfortable environment to eat in. The gentleman who checked me out never exchanged any pleasantries, never asked how my stay was (lucky for him) and then said "see you". I got into my car and as I drive past "Fawlty Towers" side entrance, the cleaners and staff member were dragging on their fags at the side door looking pleased to be free of guests.

I've read this back in case I was being too harsh at any point but I stand by every word I've given here. A horrific experience for a building moonlighting as a hotel. DO NOT stay here. Spend a tenner on a taxi to a proper hotel in Glasgow which you will get for £45 anyway!

Smiths, you have a lot of work to do.... or a demolition to carry out!

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel fro a pleasant nights sleep!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank David M

Travellers are raving about these Kirkintilloch hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

visit here often never had a bad meal great prices and staff very friendly and helpful

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights sharing with a relative. The restaurant/bar was nicely decorated as was the corridors and stairs. Staff were friendly and approachable. The food was excellent, never had a bad meal and was very reasonable. Rooms could have been cleaner, saucer had a coffee stain and a rim around toilet. The room had a window but when opened was blocked in so felt a bit claustrophobic and worried about fire if you could not get out the room, there was no other exit, wonder if that is legal?
There was no cold water and had to leave cold water in the bath overnight and added hot in the morning. My niece, in her room had no cold water either and had roasting hot showers.
All in all, sharing a twin room it was £30 per night each which was fine for our purposes.
Breakfast was a bit sparse with no cooked breakfast offered.
I would stay at this hotel again if in the area it was reasonably priced for what you got.

Room Tip: Avoid the triple room as it has no window.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I have stayed at Smiths Hotel now on a couple of occasions, the staff where extremely helpful on both visits and the newly refurbished restaurant is lovely and the food is the die for i stayed in different rooms on each visit, both rooms done the job fresh rooms very clean and i had a great sleep both visits and it is very handy now there is a new road that takes you straight onto the motorway about 1/2 a mile drive very handy.
the only downside of the hotel on my visit's was the parking was pretty tight

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

This is the only hotel in Kirkintilloch and it shows. The exterior and approaches are depressing although the interior is an improvement. I attended a function and the function room is spacious and fairly comfortable. The service was slow however and the food very basic. I understand the rooms are comfortable clean but small. Parking was very tight and the surrounding area very untidy.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jerryattrick
Littleborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Stayed here at end of Aug 2010 as part of a wedding party. Arrived after a very long 4 hour drive and no-one was on the reception. 2 other guests arrived at same time as us and had to knock on kitchen door before any staff appeared. When receptionist finally did appear it took ages to check in.
Room very small and basic - not worth the money - even with 10% off for group booking.
As we were attending a wedding the next day we thought we'd get an early night. By 12.30am when I was still awake from the noise of the music coming from below - so loud you could sing along with it I went to complain. Having passed drunken people, who obviously weren't staying at the hotel, lolling about on the stairs I asked to speak to the manager who told me I couldn't hear any noise from the nightclub (which is the reception/restaurant area during the day/early evening - very bizarre!!) but might be able to hear the music from 1st flr function room. Told him it was irrelevant where the music was coming from it was unacceptable. He then said well it stops at 1am!! No apologies or anything - made to feel like I was in the wrong for complaining. Nightclub goes on for longer and then you can here all the noise at front of hotel of drunken people waiting for taxis.
Breakfast was terrible on both mornings and service was non existent. Dirty plates and cups from previous diners left on tables and had to wait ages for eggs and orange juice - very chaotic to say the least.
This is the only hotel in Kirkintilloch and when we next travel up to visit relatives would rather pay taxi fares to Glasgow and stay somewhere else than ever step foot in this establishment again.

Room Tip: Don't stay at weekends.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank y_evans1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkintilloch
Kincaid House Hotel
#89 of 96 in Glasgow
The Z Hotel Glasgow
The Z Hotel Glasgow
#13 of 96 in Glasgow

Been to Smiths Hotel? Share your experiences!