“Average hotel in centre of town”
Review of Smiths Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirkintilloch
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stay quite frequently in this hotel as I visit the area on business and it is convenient for me. The rooms are on the 3rd floor which is quite a climb with two cases and no lift. There is also no air conditioning and the windows don’t open so it can be very warm. Some of the rooms are quite small and could be cleaner. I have always found the staff to be pleasant and courteous. I have eaten in the restaurant on a few occasions and have found the food to be fine. There are limited options for breakfast but again it is all that I need. Overall, the location is the key factor. Note that a new Italian restaurant (Nonnas) has opened a 2 minute walk away which is very good but a reservation is needed

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the skylight as you will be woken by very noisy seagulls
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Smiths Hotel

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I always write reviews of hotels I have stayed in and try to be honest and constructive.
On this occasion I am struggling to be constructive at all.
The hotel to look at is not attractive and the area looks very run down.
Reception is ok, carpets are in need of a good clean. The rooms are on the 3rd floor.
In the room I had to brush cigarette ash off the toilet to use it. The bedroom was small but clean, the quilts on the bed were like biscuits, washed to death and in need of replacing. The single bed was comfortable. the out look was onto a public car park with a pub below and the smell of cigarettes wafting up. we were out until late with friends but on our return the hotel entrance, bar and restaurant had turned into a club with people queuing around the hotel.
We walked to the front as we just wanted to get to our rooms, only to be accosted by the police for queue jumping. We then had to explain, showing our key as proof, then we had to go through a metal detector and asked our age (both 40+) before we could go in.
When we reached the room there was no water.....so we could not use the toilet, hand basin or shower. I tried to phone down but phone in room did not work so walked down into reception/Club and was told no water until next day.
In morning still no water and no sign of it coming on.
BReakfast - coffee tasted like gravy and was cold, Orange Juice was Fizzy and on the turn.
No one about to discuss problems with!
WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN........ I WOULD RATHER SLEEP IN THE CAR!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin9645
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We used to visit Smiths for meals regularly, hadnt been for a long time and decided to revisit last Saturday, although the restaurant is very pleasantly redecorated most of the staff have changed, Im afraid not for the better, it appears the restaurant is trying to be pretty classy in appearance but unfortunately the service food and manners of the staff dont match, we were approached at the door and asked had we booked a table, we said no could we have a table for three, the young girl looked at the bookings and was rudely interupted by another girl who said I will deal with this, perused the book herself (although the restaurant was pretty empty and was for the whole of our stay) I found it embarrasing for the young girl who was brushed aside, on ordering we had to ask what type of fish it was the waitress told us she didnt know and did we want her to ask ? when received the portion was pretty meagre for fish and chips, the hotpot was nice but we should have ordered a side dish our own fault but felt it would have been nice to have been asked. When I ordered a steak and asked for medium the answer was medium to well ! em no actually just medium thanks ! again the portion size was pretty meagre (more a slice of steak) the chips that came with it looked dark and were quite soft and soggy all in all tasteless. A sweet menu wasnt available, on a visit to the ladies there was no soap in the dispensers, there was small bars of soap obviously from the bedrooms lying opened and used by the general public, totally unaceptable, its a pity the toilets were not refurbished to the standard of the restaurant, the staff never approached us for any conversation what so ever, and even on leaving we were not asked if we enjoyed our meal or were given a friendly goodbye. Although the prices were very reasonable I would rather they put them up a pound or two for a decent size portion in fact my husband was still hungry and got a local takeaway afterwards. Im afraid Smiths we wont be back, I recommended my Neice to have her wedding there as our was, I think Im regretting that ! looks like the good old days of freindliness and quality have gone.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TicketyBooGlasgow
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 years then left for a while and came back and got treated poorly by the general manager didn't make us feel welcome at all even though they earnt a lot of money of our company I guess customer loyalty dosnt count for much here. The bar maids/men are amazing though and the food us outstanding don't expect much from the rooms though there pretty basic and tellys are neck breaking . All in all if u want a quick stay it will be ok but don't expect value for money

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Johnyboy12
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Booked a last minute deal to stay here yesterday. It cost me £55 which is seriously overpriced for what could only be described as a crap place to spend a night! I arrived at the hotel and was given a key for my room. The room had a damp smell to it and was very grubby. The bathroom had mould and mildew on the tiles and smelled far from clean. The shower was broken and stuck on the "napalm" setting. After burning myself, I gave up. The toilet didn't flush properly either. The TV is mounted too high and at the wrong angle to watch it unless you are standing up next to the door whilst squinting your eyes. I told reception the shower wasn't working and toilet wasn't flushing and was told I could have another room key to use the shower in that room. I had a look and the room looked dirtier, smelled worse and had no remote control for the tv so I decided to stay put. The bed in my room had no headboard and was mounted on castors. If you moved on the bed i.e rolled over, the bed moved forward. Woke up repeatedly throughout the night because the bed was so uncomfortable and was moving from side to side like a fishing boat in the North Sea. At 4am I woke to find my bed in the middle of the room and because of the lack of a headboard, my pillows were on the floor and were lying on top of multiple insect traps. Not pleasant at all. I got up in the morning and went down for "breakfast". There were only 2 cleaners in the room and it was deadly silent, no radio, tv or even a "good morning". There was a choice of 4 small boxes of cereal, cold tea, cold coffee, slices of white bread, stale croissants and muffins. A terrible excuse for a breakfast and a very uncomfortable environment to eat in. The gentleman who checked me out never exchanged any pleasantries, never asked how my stay was (lucky for him) and then said "see you". I got into my car and as I drive past "Fawlty Towers" side entrance, the cleaners and staff member were dragging on their fags at the side door looking pleased to be free of guests.

I've read this back in case I was being too harsh at any point but I stand by every word I've given here. A horrific experience for a building moonlighting as a hotel. DO NOT stay here. Spend a tenner on a taxi to a proper hotel in Glasgow which you will get for £45 anyway!

Smiths, you have a lot of work to do.... or a demolition to carry out!

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel fro a pleasant nights sleep!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank David M
Reviewed 14 April 2012

visit here often never had a bad meal great prices and staff very friendly and helpful

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights sharing with a relative. The restaurant/bar was nicely decorated as was the corridors and stairs. Staff were friendly and approachable. The food was excellent, never had a bad meal and was very reasonable. Rooms could have been cleaner, saucer had a coffee stain and a rim around toilet. The room had a window but when opened was blocked in so felt a bit claustrophobic and worried about fire if you could not get out the room, there was no other exit, wonder if that is legal?
There was no cold water and had to leave cold water in the bath overnight and added hot in the morning. My niece, in her room had no cold water either and had roasting hot showers.
All in all, sharing a twin room it was £30 per night each which was fine for our purposes.
Breakfast was a bit sparse with no cooked breakfast offered.
I would stay at this hotel again if in the area it was reasonably priced for what you got.

Room Tip: Avoid the triple room as it has no window.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkintilloch
Kincaid House Hotel
Kincaid House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Campsie
Best Western Garfield House Hotel
Halo Crowwood House Hotel
Glazert Country House Hotel
#89 of 93 in Glasgow
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Smiths Hotel? Share your experiences!