“More like a hostel!! Do not stay here”
Review of Smiths Hotel

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kirkintilloch
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Check in was good, friendly staff,was offered a late checkout and after my stay I know why as they knew I would get no sleep. We only stayed here as we were at a wedding in the Kincaid house along the road. Never ever would I stay, even so we got a refund. The hotel is above what seems like a nightclub. This went on till after 2am, then residents partying in rooms, music blasting, residents being sick,you could hear it all!! I felt sorry for the family with 2 young kids as this is not a safe hotel for families. Rooms are small and far to warm,so all windows had to be opened which then results in having to listen to screaming drunks outside. I am in my 30s so I am not old, but after being at a wedding all day and partying it was time for bed or so I thought. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rhum999

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Have stayed here a few times over the years and just got round to doing a review.

Had a minor problem last time, not caused by the hotel, but by noisy guests. The receptionist was really good and moved me to a room away from the noise. Was fine after that.

Hotel was spotless. Room was clean. Bed was comfortable. The shower was good. All staff were friendly.

Breakfast was as it says on the tin. Continental.

I don't believe they offer room service. But there was one occasion I was ill and they brought food up to me.

I would use this hotel again.

There is a night club on certain nights but they do always tell you.

Nice food in the bar downstairs too.

Room Tip: No good if you can't do stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DonnaMLobrien
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed here a few years ago and thought it was bad - now it's terrible. When we first stayed, even though the hotel was run down, at least the staff were friendly and there was a cooked breakfast. Now the staff are bordering on surly and there is only what is laughingly described as a continental breakfast (a toaster, tired croissant, tepid water in a thermos to try and make tea etc etc). Other reviewers have stated the many faults with this hotel so I won't repeat them but I would like to add a few of my own: The walls of the rooms (which are tiny and overheated) are paper thin and in our room the bathroom of the adjoining bedroom was directly behind the headboard of our bed so we could hear every turn of the tap and flush of the toilet (and worse); corridor carpets unhoovered for weeks; non-existent security so drunks from the bar downstairs were free to wander the bedroom corridors, windows that wouldn't close properly. I could go on - and on - and on. Sadly this is the only hotel in Kirkintilloch (which is why we used it, although never again) but I would highly recommend that you stay elsewhere if possible.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank saabman00
Smiths1987, Manager at Smiths Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

I am replying to this review as I disagree with most of it due to some miss leading quotes in it. We have full time cleaners which clean the hotel top to bottom every day of the week, at the weekend we have door staff on our doors from 10pm and the hotel has over 18 CCTV Cameras and the stairs to the rooms are directly in front of the reception desk where there is always someone present. We do only offer continental breakfast to keep our prices low, but you can request a cooked breakfast at a further cost. Our continental breakfast is delivered fresh each day. We do admit there may be some noise from other rooms toilets flushing which can't be help, but the walls aren't paper thin. We are a reasonably priced hotel which delivers for the price we charge, our rooms are cleaned everyday, our whole hotel from the cellar, the restaurant, the bars and the function rooms are cleaned everyday, we offer good food at great prices and we currently have a very high occupancy level with a high level of repeat business with great feedback and satisfied customers. I am not on here to promote the hotel just to iron out some comments made which I believe are untrue and so do our many other customers.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Smiths hotel proved to be a great budget hotel as we toured round Scotland. The reception area and restaurant have been revamped and the team were happy to serve us till late despite us being the only group left in the bar. The room, whilst small, had everything we needed and was clean. For a one night stay smiths provided everything we needed at a good price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

our room was clean to be fair but the hotel is really just a night club and they do not want children
there.
on the first night we arrived to the restaurant to get some food for the kids and the security man said that it was too late...he was really rude.
we went to the Indian restaurant over the road.
There is no security for people in the hotel bedrooms really as all the corridors have young people wandering around. I would go to the Premier in in Stepps next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sheila j
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We had our sons christening party here and it was fantastic, couldn't do enough for us! We had alot of people stay the weekend as we came from Doncaster. There is a late night pub next door which was bit loud during the night but apart from that it was great x

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stay quite frequently in this hotel as I visit the area on business and it is convenient for me. The rooms are on the 3rd floor which is quite a climb with two cases and no lift. There is also no air conditioning and the windows don’t open so it can be very warm. Some of the rooms are quite small and could be cleaner. I have always found the staff to be pleasant and courteous. I have eaten in the restaurant on a few occasions and have found the food to be fine. There are limited options for breakfast but again it is all that I need. Overall, the location is the key factor. Note that a new Italian restaurant (Nonnas) has opened a 2 minute walk away which is very good but a reservation is needed

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the skylight as you will be woken by very noisy seagulls
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkintilloch
Kincaid House Hotel
Boclair House Hotel
Boclair House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bearsden
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Smiths Hotel? Share your experiences!