“Very disappointed”
Review of Smiths Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkintilloch
Smiths Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kirkintilloch
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Would just like to share my bad experience of Smiths Hotel Kirkintilloch with everyone: we were there for a family meal last night and I asked a member of staff if there was somewhere private where I could breastfeed my baby, the guy looked awkward that I had asked such an outrageous question and said he'd go ask, when he came back his suggestion was that I could use the disabled toilet! I asked if he would like to eat his dinner in the toilet to which he replied no but that's the only option. Couldn't believe in this day and age that a hotel could have this crap attitude, plus I then couldn't relax as I knew baby would need fed soon and that I had no-where to go! My hubby complained and again the toilets were suggested, he then pointed out that as they we a hotel did they not have a spare room I could use, so eventually we were given a key for a cold and draughty room, but what a hassle, Smiths Hotel really need to sort themselves out and until they do I wouldn't recommend and breastfeeding mums use this place as you will be made to feel uncomfortable to say the least!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Econnell1
Smiths1987, Manager at Smiths Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

I am a bit disappointed in this review, We have no problem with people wanted to breastfeed there babies, its a natural thing, yes the waiter at the point did suggest the disabled toilets, we would normally offer them a private space in one of the other function rooms but they were all in use and also the hotel bedrooms where also full. When this was brought to my attention by the husband in no means of a complaint just a question, I offered him a bedroom to use which had not yet checked in. I am disappointed because this was the only option for the lady to have a private space. I feel this review is a bit miss leading as this guest wasn't even staying in the bedrooms so had no write to comment on them. We always go out our way to help people and when people decide to take actions like this its a bit disheartening.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

You know its cold when you can see your breath inside. Start of November - no heating in the bedrooms?.... It was warmer outside! They were clean however. Odd set up - in dire need of an upgrade. Trouser press, pull out ironing board and hairdryer from the 1960's. Newish ikea furniture. Steep steps to floors - NO LIFT! Dangerous shower- Nearly scalded as control was stuck together and didnt keep temp set! Disorganised, short staffed reception - despite being at a function. Couldn't check in til after 9.30pm. Cloakroom for function (1st floor) was at the unmanned front entrance behind a dingy curtain - next to the nightclub/pub/halloween party/breakfast room/restaurant. Breakfast on the other hand was the saving grace, mostly. £50 paid. Pity. Advice to management - have either a function OR a halloween party - not both. Scooby Doo, a Chilli and a Skeleton behind the bar at a wedding? Obscurely surreal, but not professional.

Room Tip: The hotel has space for cars - not spaces. Steep and plentiful steps to bedrooms - no lift. Very no...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed after a function recently (cannot believe this is only Hotel in Kirkintilloch) and found hotel to be adequate for the purpose. Rooms were clean, but could be doing with a little refurb, and beds were comfortable. There was a disco on downstairs till 2am but we had been prewarned and were expecting a wee bit of noise. The continental breakfast was sparse but again suficient, cereal, toast and coffee. Staff were all friendly enough and for the price we were not disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JoeSmith1960
Reviewed 17 September 2013

stayed for one night only, as thought would be a good idea as attending function in the hotel, but should have just got a taxi home. below i will list our experience
arrived at the hotel and hung about the so called reception area waiting for somebody to come to assist, the girl was pleasant enough when she got there. Room 8, it was a triple room with 3 single beds, they were quite comfy and clean, but there was an internal room with window in it and i am still trying to work out why as it looked straight into a brick wall. ok then i thought that i would unpack my p j's. there was a set of drawers pulled the top drawer...it was stuck, then pulled the second drawer and did get it open after a struggle but there was no bottom in it,,ok then onto the third one it was snapped in the middle so i left it at that. ok now to get ready for the party...into the bathroom turned on the hot water tap and water started to leak out the sides right onto the floor, wiped it up and the towel was very dirty and looked like floor had not been cleaned. there was mould round the bath also shower head was really dirty. now i wanted to curl my hair i was looking for a socket near the mirror, i did find one and it would be ok if you were eight feet tall, luckily there was a long cord on my curlers. then thought i need a cuppa. found the kettle, oh no i thought i cant use the eight feet in the air socket to plug it in..so searched about and found a socket behind a night table..what a relief. off to party had a really great time ...but two random drunks from the nightclub downstairs wandered into our private function..come on get your security in order....next morning down for continental breakfast, well all i can say is....disaster......one small table, one toaster, right wheres the bread,cups, spoons, butter , jam milk....coffee and hot water this is all that i could hear everyone saying, there was one girl on and tutted each time she was asked for anything, she was flustered, but maybe needs a bit of training on her customer service skills, and management to sort of staffing issues. ok the continental breakfast was awful, what about a cooked breakfast..ok the chef comes in at 10am your order will be taken then, but how earth can i check out at 10.30 if i am still eating breakfast. i paid £50 for this pleasure, but i tell you something will not be doing it again. Smiths hotel please take this as a bit of constructive critisism and get the hotel renovated. ...................n o w..........................................its a real shame as the restaurant is fabulous for a meal

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank coco442013
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Booked this hotel as it was near a venue we where attending a wedding, room heating not on when we arrived just assumed it would come on later that evening, returned from wedding to find heating not on , room freezing and no hot water for a shower for even a shower . To too if that dj banging out music till 2am and then all the noise outside hotel till 3am. No matter what the price don't book here.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Reid1305
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Check in was good, friendly staff,was offered a late checkout and after my stay I know why as they knew I would get no sleep. We only stayed here as we were at a wedding in the Kincaid house along the road. Never ever would I stay, even so we got a refund. The hotel is above what seems like a nightclub. This went on till after 2am, then residents partying in rooms, music blasting, residents being sick,you could hear it all!! I felt sorry for the family with 2 young kids as this is not a safe hotel for families. Rooms are small and far to warm,so all windows had to be opened which then results in having to listen to screaming drunks outside. I am in my 30s so I am not old, but after being at a wedding all day and partying it was time for bed or so I thought. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rhum999
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Have stayed here a few times over the years and just got round to doing a review.

Had a minor problem last time, not caused by the hotel, but by noisy guests. The receptionist was really good and moved me to a room away from the noise. Was fine after that.

Hotel was spotless. Room was clean. Bed was comfortable. The shower was good. All staff were friendly.

Breakfast was as it says on the tin. Continental.

I don't believe they offer room service. But there was one occasion I was ill and they brought food up to me.

I would use this hotel again.

There is a night club on certain nights but they do always tell you.

Nice food in the bar downstairs too.

Room Tip: No good if you can't do stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DonnaMLobrien
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkintilloch
Kincaid House Hotel
Kincaid House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Campsie
Best Western Garfield House Hotel
Halo Crowwood House Hotel
Glazert Country House Hotel

Been to Smiths Hotel? Share your experiences!