“Weekend break”
Review of Smiths Hotel

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirkintilloch
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night for a trip to a wedding located 1 mile away. The hotel itself was very adequate for our 1 night and room size was to be expected. However the rooms were dirty and the bathroom was not by any means clean, not impressed with the cleanliness! Our room rate included a continetal breakfast which was also quite disapointing... a cooked breakfast was £6 per head and for the actual amount we paid I would have expected a full cooked breakfast on this rate. The staff were very pleasant and could not help you more with anything. I must say I dont think I would return. Being a couple who stay overnight at lots of varied hotels in the UK this is by far not one the best.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Smiths Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Well i went here with my two friends for a quick night away.It was easy to find and the location was just off the high Street.Not alot of parking so i would recommend getting there early.We arrived at 1.30pm on Saturday the 17 May and headed to the reception.We were greated by the friendly receptionist who was more than helpful with the questions we had.The reception was well decorated in a modern style and chairs for guests.It was clean and tidy and had lots of local info for longer stays with ideas for discovering the area.Our room was on the second floor and as there was no lift this was quite a hike.I would not recommend this for anyone with walking difficulties.I found it a bit to much as i suffer with knee problems.We arrived at our room and was surprised to find a good size room with three single beds.The floor was laminated there was ample modern furniture for your clothes too.There was a large flat screen tv with freeview with a great reception.The bathroom was large and contained a full size bath and a powerful shower over the bath.Ample towels and free toiletries.We unpacked and headed down stairs to check out the lounge and restaurant.There was a very trendy bar lounge with nice white leather seating in the center along with clean tidy bistro style seating around the lounge area.We ordered a main meal for dinner and there was a good choice on the menu.The staff were easy to spot as they all had a uniform on and they were very attentive throughout.Later in the evening the tables in this area are re arranged as there is an in house disco/nightclub that starts around 8pm.This gets very busy around 10.30/11pm and it closes around 2am.It is very loud and caters for all age groups but there were a lot of 20-30 year old's so if your in for a relaxing Saturday night your in the wrong place.It was hard to get to the bar at this time due to the amount of people but the bar staff were again very efficient.The floor can get wet due to spillage of drinks so be careful .If you smoke where was a large well decorated decking area with modern rattan tables and seating for you to use with plenty of ashtrays.On returning to our room we found our internal room extremely hot but the reception staff were only to happy to get us a fan for the room.The beds were comfortable and we all slept well.In the morning we enjoyed a free continental breakfast with several cups of tea/coffee.We would recommend this hotel to older/younger groups Monday to Friday and younger 18/ 40 age group who love to party on a Friday and Saturday night.We are 45 plus year old's but we had a great time and would go back again but if your not into the night club scene or loud music then avoid a |Saturday night but if that's what your looking for then this is the place to go .The only thing i could say negatively about this hotel is that in the hallways there is a damp smell but i dose not follow into the rooms id recommend they change the carpet which was clean but must have gotten wet at some point .

Room Tip: avoid if you have walking difficulties as there is no lift .Great weekend night club !!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jules505067
Reviewed 27 April 2014

After I booked this room and read the reviews I wasn't expecting much! I was surprised when we arrived! The hotel itself looked good! The person who checked us in didn't offer much information on anything except pointed us to where the bedrooms were, and even that wasn't clear! On goin to the bar, the waiter there told us where there was a good bar with live music and called us a taxi! Very attentive and helpful! Later we went to the nightclub which got busy and we didn't find any problems with the noise when we went to bed. I cannot comment on the food
as we didn't even manage breakfast. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, worth the money and would stay again! Being a young couple it was just what we were looking for.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank shivkerry
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Anyone thinking of staying at this hotel should seriously think again.
Stayed at this hotel about 3 years ago and although the room was small and the hotel basic, it was adequate, however it seems to have deteriorated significantly since!
There is no longer a cooked breakfast just a "continental breakfast", this is something of an exaggeration, and consisted of small boxes of cereal, a toaster, a few pots of flavoured yogurts, a very tired looking croissant and a few mini chocolate muffins, nearly forgot there were some apples and pears that looked like they had been hanging around for a while!
We were staying with our adult daughters and had booked a double and twin room, they were interconnected, both rooms were tiny, they both had laminated floors, however in the double this was coming apart! In the twin room one of the beds was so close to the chest of drawers it made it impossible to use, which was probably just as well as it was broken. There were holes in walls left from previous fixtures.
Onto the bathrooms...... both had toilet seats that moved around the bowl, the shower in the double room only ran cold as the controls were broken, and in the twin room the shower ran hot, very hot, and could not be adjusted. The shower screens were almost impossible to move and the plastic seal on one fell off!
On mentioning all of this at the reception the response was of indifference, the receptionist politely made a note of our complaints and promised to pass them on, she didn't seem to be at all surprised, and didn't even offer an apology let alone a any sort of refund!
We are just grateful we were only booked in for the one night.
Most definitely will NOT be going back

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Rose E
Reviewed 25 February 2014

it was so nice to go for an evening out to Smiths as we usually do on an evening for a nice meal and a nice bottle of wine, suddenly to our amazement our lovely wine glasses were exchanged for a plastic tumbler,,, after discussing this with the staff we were told there had been a lot incidents in the past few weeks that the police had advised to do this , not very reassuring for a hotel !!! specially at 10 o'clock at night .
I think smiths Need to address the clientele they wish to attract , they cannot have there cake and eat it , Hotel ? bad reputation night club ? restaurant or wine bar ?
think it's time to make a choice . won't be back .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Myself and my partner went to Smiths for a meal on Valentines night .... lovely meal, nice setting, attentive staff. Great! The place was full of like minded couples and a few groups having an equally good time. After our meal we moved to the comfy seats in the middle of the restaurant, and I then went to the bar for a couple of glasses of wine. Which were served in hideous half pint plastic tumblers! Apparently plastic glasses after 10pm is now company policy. We live in Kirky and won't be back. Seriously bad policy guys!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R-1818
Smiths1987, Manager at Smiths Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

I am so glad you enjoyed your meal and thought the setting and staff where great, which makes me wonder about the 1 out of 5 we got because of plastic glasses in the evening. As we have a late license we have to abide to different licensing rules to maintain this late opening hour. When you where in for your meal we operated as a restaurant and glasses are no problem to serve any type of drink in but as of 10pm when the restaurant is closed and we are operating as a late bar with a late license then we have to do what the license board asks us to do and that is that everything is served in plastic from 10pm till 2am, this is for customer safety, so I am sorry to hear you wont be back but this rule is out our hands and we would prefer to use glass but our hands are tied sorry!!!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Would just like to share my bad experience of Smiths Hotel Kirkintilloch with everyone: we were there for a family meal last night and I asked a member of staff if there was somewhere private where I could breastfeed my baby, the guy looked awkward that I had asked such an outrageous question and said he'd go ask, when he came back his suggestion was that I could use the disabled toilet! I asked if he would like to eat his dinner in the toilet to which he replied no but that's the only option. Couldn't believe in this day and age that a hotel could have this crap attitude, plus I then couldn't relax as I knew baby would need fed soon and that I had no-where to go! My hubby complained and again the toilets were suggested, he then pointed out that as they we a hotel did they not have a spare room I could use, so eventually we were given a key for a cold and draughty room, but what a hassle, Smiths Hotel really need to sort themselves out and until they do I wouldn't recommend and breastfeeding mums use this place as you will be made to feel uncomfortable to say the least!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Econnell1
Smiths1987, Manager at Smiths Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

I am a bit disappointed in this review, We have no problem with people wanted to breastfeed there babies, its a natural thing, yes the waiter at the point did suggest the disabled toilets, we would normally offer them a private space in one of the other function rooms but they were all in use and also the hotel bedrooms where also full. When this was brought to my attention by the husband in no means of a complaint just a question, I offered him a bedroom to use which had not yet checked in. I am disappointed because this was the only option for the lady to have a private space. I feel this review is a bit miss leading as this guest wasn't even staying in the bedrooms so had no write to comment on them. We always go out our way to help people and when people decide to take actions like this its a bit disheartening.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkintilloch
Kincaid House Hotel
Kincaid House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Campsie
Best Western Garfield House Hotel
Halo Crowwood House Hotel
Glazert Country House Hotel
#89 of 93 in Glasgow
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Smiths Hotel? Share your experiences!