“Beautiful experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Muelheim an der Ruhr, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beautiful experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

In Oct. 2011 my wife and I walked the John Muir Way in East Lothian, Scottland. We flew from Weeze in Germany to Edinburgh and rode straight to Fishermans Row in Musselburg, were the JMW starts. The rest of the afternoon we walked to Aberlady, the next day to North Berwick, then to Dunbar. My wife had blisters beneath her feet, so we took one day of and strolled around the port. Because we couldn't reach any B&B in Cockburnspath which is the last leg we went there while we left our rucksacks in Dunbar and took the bus back to Dunbar after we finished the JMW. From Dunbar we took the train to Edinburgh and flew in the evening back to Germany - five super days! The end of the way is a little unceremonious and abrupt, I would have prefered it to end in a village or at a restaurant or so but not at a roadside. My guess is that the way stopped exactly were East Lothian ends and the Southern Uplands begin. The JMW took us through back roads, along huge power plants and through countless golf courses. But we also walked through ancient woods, through very pretty coast towns, along lonely beaches with only our foot prints in the sand and through unique landscapes like the mouth of the river tyne where old pine woods meet the mud flats with thousands of birds. Once we were overtaken by three deers. Each night we stayed in a B&B place that I had already booked in Germany via the internet. Each night cost 70 GBP for the both of us and we felt very comfortable in each place. Except the Edinburgh bus drivers who seemed to be in tremendous stress everyone else was super friendly to us and all restaurants that we visited served delicious food and beer that we enjoyed very much after a day of walking. I can only advise everyone to try it out. When we were back my wife and I agreed that was a super experience. Thanks for setting up this wonderful way!

Visited October 2011