“Couldn't cope”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We went here on our Christmas night out and as I didn't organise it I'm guessing that there were about 24 of us.
On arrival there was a very large table of about the same number.
We pre ordered our food so that they knew what they were catering for.
I went for the apple a celeriac soup to start with. It was luke warm and tasteless.
I then had the tradition Christmas dinner. The veg was raw! I like my veg crunchy but It was almost impossible to cut the brussel sprouts.
The meat was tasty but over cooked. Like wise, so was the stuffing and sausages.
I complained about the veg and I heard later that other people complained. No solution or alternative was offered. I ate it cos I was so hungry!
Desert was a crumble with custard. The fruit was very tart and the custard cold.
The establishment clearly couldn't cope with the numbers and I believe they well and truly over stretched themselves by taking a booking for two such large parties.
Quality of food was very disappointing and poor.
Having said that I enjoyed staying there all night and the establishment had an nice ambience and atmosphere.

3  Thank Joan A

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We booked a meal here based on good reviews as we were staying in the area. After being seated we waited a good ten minutes to be offered drinks only to be told only two of the beers on tap were available, which was a disappointment to my real ale loving husband! Decided on wine then had to flag someone down to request menus as none were offered. Another 15 minutes went by before we waved the waitress over to order. My daughter and I really enjoyed our meals but my husbands steak pie was cold in the middle (he just ate it anyway because he was starving and thought if he sent it back we could be there all night!) We then sat with our dirty plates in front of us for a long while before anyone cleared them and offered dessert menus...then another wait for the order to be taken. In a nutshell, with an extra waitress the evening could've been greatly improved, they seem to have no real plan regarding the service, it felt like we were being pests asking for things for the entire meal, which is a shame. It's a lovely place and the food is good, they just need some efficient staff.

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Came here for a family meal on a cold evening - nice and cosy with candles lit. Was fairly busy but service was still attentive without being intrusive. Although the menu is quite small compared to some we were all more than happy with our choices and the dishes that came out. Steak pie was a hit as was the battered haddock . Prices I felt were fair and will more than happily pay a return visit and recommend to others . A wee treasure.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Lovely place, so cozy and chilled out. Staff are lovely and the food is always really good - huge portions and comforting!

Really nice atmosphere- perfect for long winter evenings of eating and drinking...

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We visited here after a day wondering around Edinburgh. We had a lovely table by the window - romantic and quiet but still wit the atmosphere of the restaurant behind us. The staff were welcoming and friendly. There was an excellent choice of wines and the food was warming and delicious. After finishing the meal we enjoyed the rest of our wine and felt incredibly relaxed! Would definitely go back.