“Good food, service and presentation could do with improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Compass Leith
Ranked #360 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$4 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food, service and presentation could do with improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was here for brunch in a group of 4 on a Saturday around midday.When we arrived it was pretty empty however there were a few tables that had been reserved. After choosing our table we had to ask for our drinks order to be taken - same with food - we were constantly trying to get the waitress' attention. It wasn't her fault - she seemed to be the only one on the floor for the first half hour or more and was struggling with the number of tables she had to manage. The food took quite a while to come and the dishes arrived at different times - the bread for the soup didn't arrive until the soup was nearly finished! The food itself was pretty good but the presentation could be improved - the eggs benedict could have done with more bacon and a salad dressing or a few leaves on top. Seemed to be good for families with young children

• Visited May 2014

edinburgh
“Decent enough food and nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife and i ate here yesterday, we have been in a few times in the past so thought we would try it again. I was hungover badly so needed some decent food to help me. I was a little disappointed as the chips were not fully cooked properly, still edible enough but could have done with a bit more time cooking them, did not say anything as i was rough and needed food so just got on with it. My wife got the fish cakes which she said was lovely.

I have to say every time we have been in here it the staff and service has always been faultless, friendly staff is always a bonus anywhere.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh
“Always pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Go to compass often

The meals are always good quality And fresh tasting. The steak pie is my favourite as is the fish cakes. You can tell they are home mAde

The kitchen is so small the chefs must work so hard

Service is friendly and fast. Never rush you out after your meal either.

Prestonpans, United Kingdom
“Awkward service and disappointing lunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Here for a quick lunch with a few colleagues from the office. For menus we were handed pieces of crumpled paper! First impressions do count these days! The menu was rather limited and I settled for the safe choice of fish and chips.

i did feel that service was slow and almost unfriendly, our waiter and waitress were both quiet (in a negative way) and awkward. Anyway we got a nice bowl of bread. Our food came about 20 mins after ordering. My dish was very, very greasy. I understand fish and chips are deep friend but this was ridiculous and I only could stomach 1/3 of my meal. I will not be rushing back.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Jay M
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Busy night handled well”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Went in mid week for a bite to eat with my partner.

Place was busy for a Wednesday night with only one member of staff on although you would not realise. Service was fast and good was great.

Not our first visit here and definitely not our last.

The good is of big portions and always tasty and fresh. If you like good home cooked food at a good price and service with a smile head down to compass!

1 Thank trixypoo