“Standards are slipping 01.07.14”
Review of The Compass

The Compass
Ranked #326 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$4 - US$26
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Having eaten at the Compass for a number of years I can say the standard of the food and service on our last visit was well below average. My steak was dry and very thin for £15 the pepper sauce was watery and a light grey colour. My partner had fish off the specials menu which was better but not to their usual standards. For around 12 tables there was one person serving and every interaction was started with a well versed quip the delays. The girl serving was wearing a see through top so all we could see was her pink bra and belly, enough to spoil average food further. The guy behind the bar looked like he had been playing on leith links before he got to work, his jeans were dirty and grass stained. If the owner thinks this is acceptable we will not be fooled again. I felt sorry for all the tourists eating in the restaurant and I really hope they don't think this level of service, presentation and standard of food they would get in Edinburgh.

1  Thank EatingInEdinburgh

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Lovely place, I had forgotten about compass as it's not right at the shore. My seabass was cooked beautifully, and my husband loved his steak followed by homemade chocolate brownie with ice cream :) all at a very reasonable price.
The service was really friendly and welcoming. I highly recommend it! We will be back soon!!!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Lovely pub at the Shore. Very nice atmosphere, friendly staff, good beer and nice food. What else could you ask for a relaxing evening.? Would recommend it.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Really welcoming and I felt fine eating on my own in the restaurant. I had a goats cheese salad which was very good. Good coffee and there seemed to be a good selection of drinks. I would go there again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was here for brunch in a group of 4 on a Saturday around midday.When we arrived it was pretty empty however there were a few tables that had been reserved. After choosing our table we had to ask for our drinks order to be taken - same with food - we were constantly trying to get the waitress' attention. It wasn't her fault - she seemed to be the only one on the floor for the first half hour or more and was struggling with the number of tables she had to manage. The food took quite a while to come and the dishes arrived at different times - the bread for the soup didn't arrive until the soup was nearly finished! The food itself was pretty good but the presentation could be improved - the eggs benedict could have done with more bacon and a salad dressing or a few leaves on top. Seemed to be good for families with young children