“My Favourite Edinburgh Bar/Restaurant”

Whighams Wine Cellars
Reserve with OpenTable
Whighams Wine Cellars is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #318 of 2,653 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Oldest wine cellar in Scotland. Steeped in history, stone caves, an oval bar and separate dining area. Seafood, steak, Scottish fare. Remarkable wine list and warm Scottish hospitality a speciality!
Reviewed 15 May 2014

A great bar. There is something for everyone. They serve excellent wine and a good choice of decent beer. The food is always top class. The menu isn't huge for there is a good variety including lots of delicious seafood dishes. The raspberry vinaigrette served with the oysters is really tasty. The staff are always friendly and efficient. I thoroughly recommend Whighams.

Whighams-Manager, Manager at Whighams Wine Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

What a lovely review thank you so much. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

What a great find. We had searched George Street on Saturday last week only to find the place booked - mostly hen do's.
Whighams was superb. A lovely location, great food and wine, and the service was attentive without being too much.
I would not hesitate to go back and sample more of the delicious sea food on offer.

Whighams-Manager, Manager at Whighams Wine Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank You so much for your lovely review. So glad you managed to find us as we can be hard to locate being tucked away downstairs. Happy Birthday from all at Whighams and we hope you can celebrate many more occasions with us in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I enjoyed tapas , desserts and cheese and biscuits. what a treat. The tapas was lovely. We had a mixture of prawns, chorizo and patatas. it was mouth watering served with gorgeous bread.
the staff were attentive and cheery and the whole experience makes us want to go back.

Great to see such great feedback on our tapas. This is a reasonably new addition to the Whighams offering so it is extra nice to hear that it is being enjoyed. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Having worked at Whigham's many moons ago I was delighted to be able to have dinner here during a short visit to Edinburgh. As I descended the stone steps I was curious to see how this place had changed over the years. I was thrilled to see the old original part with the cellars still there and the new restaurant, well how lovely it has been done! We enjoyed a glass of wine in the bar first, which was half full of people enjoying a drink after work, chatting away, a lovely atmosphere- just as I remembered it! We were shown to our table by a young South African girl who was very efficient and friendly. I wondered if Cullen Skink would be available and sure enough it was. I ordered the half lobster, chilled, and my partner had the seafood linguine. Both were delicious. Creme Brûlée for pud and a Scottish cheese board too. Absolutely lovely.

So glad you enjoyed your return to Whighams. We are still under the same ownership as when we opened over 30 years ago and pride ourselves on keeping the standards of food and service high. So glad we didn't dissapoint and hope to see you again on your next return to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a lovely meal here with a group for a hen party earlier this month. We were a quite rowdy large party but the service was great! Very attentive and the food was very good quality for the excellent priced set menu!