“A lucky find for seafood and drinks!”

Whighams Wine Cellars
Reserve with OpenTable
Whighams Wine Cellars is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #317 of 2,479 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Oldest wine cellar in Scotland. Steeped in history, stone caves, an oval bar and separate dining area. Seafood, steak, Scottish fare. Remarkable wine list and warm Scottish hospitality a speciality!
New York City, New York
“A lucky find for seafood and drinks!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I unexpectedly had an extra day in Edinburgh, and after wandering for a few hours, was intrigued by the signs advertising the seafood in this wine cellar. Lucky me! As I was traveling solo, I sat at the bar and ordered some beers and a cullen skink to start off the night. At the bar, James, Charlotte and Valeria were incredibly attentive! James helped me pick a specialty (mussels in cream, excellent!) and then informed me as I worked my way through a few whiskies. An off-duty waitress, Sara, was there with some regulars (apparently, of 30 years!), and I had a grand time waiting for the rainy day to pass before my next flight. A memorable evening, and I hope the restaurant and bar stay just as they are for the next time I'm "stuck" in Edinburgh!

1 Thank Daniel C
Whighams-Manager, Manager at Whighams Wine Cellars, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
So glad we could help you pass the time and that you enjoyed your experience. We do hope you get stuck again soon

edinburgh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Look no further.”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

An oasis in the heart of Edinburgh's west end. Superb food accompanied by a decent wine list. Friendly and efficient staff. Great ambience. Makes this establishment well worth a visit. Jim M

• Visited August 2014
Whighams-Manager, Manager at Whighams Wine Cellars, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank You for taking the time to write a great review. We pride ourselves on providing great food and drinks with friendly service and it is always great to hear that people have enjoyed their time with us. We do hope you can return again soon.
“Amazing”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

fantastic food, great service, meal was one of the best ever, seriously good, portions perfect and all in great atmosphere, honestly for amazing food Whighams is THE place. Wine is good too with a great choice of beers, buzzing but relaxing, just brilliant!

• Visited August 2014
We are all so glad you enjoyed your visit to Whighams and would like to thank you for writing such a lovely review. We do hope to see you again soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Best food I've ever had”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booked in here while up visiting my sister for the weekend. Food was out out of this world. The chef was so accommodating as my wife really wanted salmon and as not on the menu he made this for her as a special request, she said was the best meal she has ever had!! I had the mussels and they were fantastic. Would so so recommend the restaurant to anyone who lives OR in Edinburgh for a visit. Just go you will not be disappointed. A big thank you to the chef Dougie.

• Visited August 2014
What a fantastic review, thank you for taking the time to write it. I have passed along your comments to Dougie and his Kitchen team who were all delighted you had enjoyed the food so much. We hope to see you again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“I am the only one who does not like this place!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I feel in the minority as I have really never taken to Whighams and everyone else always seems to suggest it as a place to meet. On the plus side it is great for the wine list and there is usually a decent selection of beers. The outdoor seating area is welcome but average. Negative, dark basement setting is a real put off. If I want to enjoy a drink I don't want to go into a cave to have it. Why Am I seemingly alone?

Visited August 2014