This hotel is in a quiet-ish side street off the Royal Mile. We stayed 5 nights over New Year and were a bit disappointed. Having not stayed at a HI Express before we were expecting a different standard. The room was clean and relatively well-equipped but quite small and with no real cupboard space at all. That might be ok for one person for a night or two but for us it seemed like we were constantly opening and closing our suitcases and standing in each other's way in the process. The bed was soft and quite small, when one person rolled over, the whole bed shook.
Again, breakfast was a wee bit disappointing. Instead of a full English or indeed Scottish breakfast there were sausages, scrambled egg and baked beans - in itself ok but as I say, not quite what we thought we were getting. A much more dire problem, from our point of view, was the lack of drinkable tea or coffee. The tea was a do it yourself affair with what seemed to be not quite boiling (and very scaley) water from the coffee machine and if you were unlucky you got a drip or two of the previous coffee in the cup
The atmosphere in the rather cramped breakfast room was a cross between a station cafe and primark in the sales, although we were there quite early every morning.
The hotel seemed to pride itself on its environmental consciousness, but at breakfast there were lots of individual packaging.
As far as service was concerned the staff were all friendly and willing if not always able to help.
On the whole, a budget hotel in a good location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Edinburgh city centre budget hotels don't come any better than the Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh-Royal Mile hotel, Edinburgh's only Express hotel with air conditioned guestrooms. There's FREE Wi-Fi internet access in the public areas and cabled access in the guestrooms plus an extensive complimentary hot breakfast buffet too - this Edinburgh budget hotel is sure to be a popular choice! As the name suggests Edinburgh's newest superior budget hotel is located in Edinburgh's quaint Old Town, just moments from the historic Royal Mile, Waverley Train Station and internationally renowned attractions such as Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Scottish Parliament Building, Princes Street and more. For sports fans the Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh-Royal Mile hotel is within easy reach of Murrayfield Stadium, home of Scottish Rugby, as well as Hearts Football Club & Hibernian Football Club. For meetings in Edinburgh our fully equipped, air conditioned meeting room can accommodate up to 40 delegates. Thanks to our FREE Wi-Fi internet access delegates meeting in Edinburgh can keep in touch while on the go! Our location is perfect for delegates attending the Edinburgh International Conference Centre. NCP Car park 3 mins walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
- Express Edinburgh Royal Mile
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile Scotland