“Fab Hotel”
Review of York House Hotel

York House Hotel
Ranked #341 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My friends have just returned from a 2 night stay, and would highly recommend this hotel.
The hotel is spotless, staff very friendly and breakfast was great. It is well situated and handy for most amenities.
As it is grade listed building, it does not have a lift and it is over 5 floors. However the staff will try and accommodate you to the best of their ability

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

A good hotel if you are on a budget. Great location but it is next to the bus station. Didn't really bother us though as the main street had its own noise when the bars close. We were there during a rugby match and luckily the men were not too loud.
Room was adequate but dated. Tv was not great and hard to turn on. Breakfast was ok. Wifi only works in common areas. Staff was fantastic.
Overall it was clean, dry and close to everything.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel is in a good location and the staff are as helpful as can be expected. They were well polished.

We arrived early and were let into our room six hours early, which was a massive bonus and suited my wife and I superbly.

The room was large,clean and tidy and had amply tea and coffee. The bed was also comfortable, although onlly had one pillow, which upset Mrs G a tad. The shower in the on-suit bathroom wasn't as powerful as most hotels I have stayed in and therefore hits the B&B tone in my title.

What also adds to the B&B feel is the facilities as a whole. I can only expeand on that with there aren't many and it's decorated like a buy to let property.

Again for no grand reason, but a positive, I really enjoyed the breakfast. There was lots of it and it was well cooked. Unlike a B&B I wasn't asked what time I'd be eating it as I stepped through the door. (I may have only ammused myself there).

So if you want a decent clean comfortable room with an ample and ranging breakfast, with the chance to be let into your room six hours early and with a smile, this my friends, is the Ho&tel for you.

Room Tip: Get the room I got (Room 8) but ask the bloke cooking the breakfast not to have the radio too loud a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. It was clean, had adequate room facilities, and was well placed for exploring the city. I also thought it was expensive for what it was. But then again it was conveniently located. A bit of a conundrum. I would definitely recommend it for a short stay, but you wouldn't want to stay for an extended period if the was your only refuge. We had my daughter's flat to stay in during the day. Major gripe? No wifi in the bedrooms. Why doesn't every hotel have free wifi now?

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Lord M
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Recently stayed at this Hotel (although myself and Friends felt it was more of a BB ) on a Friday and Saturday night.
We arrived at the Hotel on a Friday afternoon and was surprised to find a large Black Door that was locked (unusual for a Hotel ) we rang the bell someone arrived and we checked in.

Upon checking in we were asked who had the single room and were we aware it had no ensuite, I had the single room and I said no I wasn't as I booked through another company and wouldn't of booked if I knew that ,I was then told it does state this on our website the person then wanted to show me this.

The room itself was at the front of the building and was very small, and have to say very noisy at all hours of the night and early morning with traffic and late night revellers up to 0530am on Sunday morning !

I do not feel that £192.20 was value for this room which did include Breakfast although only had this Saturday morning as we had to leave early for a flight on Sunday morning and the sign on the wall at reception states Breakfast between 0830 and 0930 only.

The Breakfast was fine and the Accommodation was clean, but we would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about any single room location and Ensuite facilities
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nickjl67
Reviewed 8 February 2014

It was clean, it was equipped with all the basics you need, the staff were friendly and a decent breakfast was provided. It's a good bit down on Premier Inn standards. It's fine for a night on the town but don't book this for a romantic city break

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RoverP
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The manager, Ms Ilaria Braina, is most friendly and cheerful and made us feel most welcome. She is also most forthcoming with information. When we told her that our luggage was delayed, she was very helpful and said that she would take care of it when the delivery man came, and she even made effort to contact the delivery company.

We stayed in an en-suite family room on street level. It is amazingly spacious, with huge bathroom.

Perfect location, as it is within walking distance from Princess Street and all the tourist attractions. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family