Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$207
US$187
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$488
US$439
US$210
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$270
  • Bar/Lounge
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$152
  • Restaurant
All reviewscity centrebudget hotelstram stophuge roomhigh ceilingsstreet parkingquiet areaprinces streetshort walkconvenient locationtop floorcomfy bedfringe festivalnight's sleepone night staymurrayfieldbuses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend away, and was instantly impressed with the hotel! It just seems so much grander than any travelodge I've stayed in before. On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff, who seemed only happy to help.
Once we got to our room, we were shocked by how large and quiet this room was. A nice large window showed great views of the castle behind the rows of chimney pots and the park opposite.
The only thing that could have been improved upon was that the tea bags and coffee weren't topped up daily and when we arrived there was no toilet paper,and we ended up buying our own after coming back in the second day and still having none. But over all this was a tiny thing after what we felt we were getting for the price!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gordon789
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We arrived a little before the official check-in time and met the receptionist, David. He showed us the bar area and told us to help ourselves to tea and coffee while the rooms were being serviced. We sat in the window area and watched the world go by for a short while, before I went out to grab something from outside.

When I came back into the hotel, David called me over and told me that the rooms were ready and I had a choice of two. A top-floor room with excellent views over the city or a smaller room at the rear of the property, with not-so-great views. I chose the top-floor room and he went through the usual check-in routine with me before handing me my key and wishing us a good stay.

We went up to the room and we were impressed by the views from the bedroom window. Simply stunning.

Everytime we left the hotel, no matter what time of day it was, David was always running around like mad, trying to do a multitude of tasks at once. Always with a smile and stopping briefly for genuine conversation with us.

We stayed for four nights, touring Edinburgh and Fife and my friend's wedding. No matter what time we left or came back at, David was there. I even asked him if he had a home to go to, "Home? What's that?" came the response with a laugh.

Having worked in hotels previously, I knew exactly what he meant. From recommending little niche bars and less-touristy places to visit, he was a font of knowledge and we both appreciated his input. The man deserves a pay-rise and a promotion, but who knows if he'll actually get that.

One departure day, I went outside the hotel to find fake nails, bits of hair and, what appeared to be, blood on the stairs. Before I could finish my "Is that blood?" question, he looked at me with a 'it's only 9am but it's already a long morning' stare and simply said "Geordie girls on a hen night."

It's within easy walking distance (you don't have to drive everywhere!) of Princes Street and the rest of the touristy-places in Edinburgh, but from the top floor you can see the castle from your bedroom window.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a Superbreak Theatre deal with my 14 year old granddaughter and paid more than I should have. However the room we were given was huge and absolutely spotless. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Haymarket station with regular buses to Princes Street - 100, 26 and 31 buses with an adult fare of £1.50. The only problem was that our room (Room 1) was on the ground floor near the bar and I was wakened at 3.45am by a very loud man on his mobile outside our room shouting to his friend where he was. I could then hear lots of shouting and conversation coming from the bar area and when I complained I was told there was a 24 hour bar - the customer toilets were directly across the corridor from our room. We didn't eat here as the cost of breakfast was too expensive for what was on offer.

I would stay here again if I had a different room away from the bar area.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Carol G
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The bed was incredibly comfortable and I was delighted to have both bath and shower. However, there was no bathmat so I had to stand on a towel. I booked breakfast online but the hot food was cold. At checkout, I was told that, if I'd paid cash that morning, I could have had a refund but as I'd booked it online I could not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback Helen M. We do not provide bath mats in our hotels, however our bathroom surfaces will have enhanced slip resistance and we also provide handrails for your safety. Our bar café staff are fully trained on how to prepare food to a great standard so we are truly sorry to learn you found the food to be cold. We expect our staff to provide a great service and to be able to deal with any problems which you have during your stay so we are truly sorry to learn they were unable to assist you. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution. In order for us to do this please could you visit our website and use the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I have stayed in this hotel a few times now and i must say, i'm thoroughly impressed. Our room was a great size, lovely big comfy bed, bath, tv, plenty of towels and facilities for tea/coffee. When i arrived, the gentleman i spoke to was very welcoming and engaged in genuine conversation and he made sure that i knew Edinburgh well and that i was aware of all the facilities that the hotel had to offer, not to mention all of the other staff members i had dealings with were fantastic! I had a great nights sleep and look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: January 2014