“Excellent stay”

Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #116 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel from Wednesday 22nd January to Monday 27th January 2014. Overall, I cannot fault it. Being just around the corner from Haymarket railway station made it easy to get to, even for those who have never been to Edinburgh before (such as myself). Check in was easy and I was greeted by a very friendly member of staff (Sadly I cannot remember any names), who gladly gave me a map of Edinburgh which was very helpful. Having said that, I found all staff members to be extremely professional and approachable.

My room was very comfortable and spacious. I had no issues in getting a good nights sleep and was impressed with the free tea and coffee that was replenished daily. A number of TV channels are available to view for free which is good.

I pre-paid for breakfast and found it to be value for money. Dinner was also delicious and good value. The bar/cafe area at the hotel is great. Only once did I find it too busy to get a seat, however I was able to return a short while later and there was no problem.

Overall therefore I would 100% recommend this hotel. It is a perfect place for anyone visiting Edinburgh and is incredibly good value for money. Travelling alone I felt comfortable at all times. Well done all and keep up the good work!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Liam H

Reviewed 27 January 2014

As expected, room was basic but very clean. No frills (remember your own shampoo etc.) but comfortable bed. Bathroom bare but clean. My room was at the back and surprisingly silent for a Friday night. Edinburgh airport Airlink bus, and Glasgow Citylink bus stops two minutes away. I left early so didn't use cafe/bar.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peggy_Babcock
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for your review Peggy_Babcock, it is great to hear that you found our beds to be comfortable and rooms to be clean. Unfortunately we do not provide toiletries in the rooms as standard. We do however have essential toiletries available in vending machines in reception for guests to purchase.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed this hotel as I was in Edinburgh for a Christmas party. The building is old and although the room was small adequate for the solo traveller, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was adequate. As I have booked in advance the room was £21 so it was well worth the money.

The staff were very helpful. Special mention to David who chatted to myself and a colleague whilst serving us a pre event drink and arranging a taxi to take us to the party.

The breakfast was buffet style but excellent with the buffet being topped up regularly to ensure that the hot food was fresh.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stuartie K
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Had 2 great nights at this lovely hotel. The room was fantastic value for money. At this time of the year all rooms are £30 per night (so book a double even if you only require a single). The hotel is in an interesting old Georgian building in a quiet street just a stone's throw from Haymarket station and the bus stop for the airport. As with everything in life you get what you pay for so do not expect luxury. For example, you don't get breakfast included and you have to take your own toiletries as there are none supplied. However, the rooms are clean and have ensuite bathrooms/showers. An added bonus was the very friendly and helpful staff; especially the guy on reception (I think he was the manager). This was my first stay at a Travelodge and I was impressed. I will certainly stay here on my next visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jamor
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend away, and was instantly impressed with the hotel! It just seems so much grander than any travelodge I've stayed in before. On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff, who seemed only happy to help.
Once we got to our room, we were shocked by how large and quiet this room was. A nice large window showed great views of the castle behind the rows of chimney pots and the park opposite.
The only thing that could have been improved upon was that the tea bags and coffee weren't topped up daily and when we arrived there was no toilet paper,and we ended up buying our own after coming back in the second day and still having none. But over all this was a tiny thing after what we felt we were getting for the price!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gordon789
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We arrived a little before the official check-in time and met the receptionist, David. He showed us the bar area and told us to help ourselves to tea and coffee while the rooms were being serviced. We sat in the window area and watched the world go by for a short while, before I went out to grab something from outside.

When I came back into the hotel, David called me over and told me that the rooms were ready and I had a choice of two. A top-floor room with excellent views over the city or a smaller room at the rear of the property, with not-so-great views. I chose the top-floor room and he went through the usual check-in routine with me before handing me my key and wishing us a good stay.

We went up to the room and we were impressed by the views from the bedroom window. Simply stunning.

Everytime we left the hotel, no matter what time of day it was, David was always running around like mad, trying to do a multitude of tasks at once. Always with a smile and stopping briefly for genuine conversation with us.

We stayed for four nights, touring Edinburgh and Fife and my friend's wedding. No matter what time we left or came back at, David was there. I even asked him if he had a home to go to, "Home? What's that?" came the response with a laugh.

Having worked in hotels previously, I knew exactly what he meant. From recommending little niche bars and less-touristy places to visit, he was a font of knowledge and we both appreciated his input. The man deserves a pay-rise and a promotion, but who knows if he'll actually get that.

One departure day, I went outside the hotel to find fake nails, bits of hair and, what appeared to be, blood on the stairs. Before I could finish my "Is that blood?" question, he looked at me with a 'it's only 9am but it's already a long morning' stare and simply said "Geordie girls on a hen night."

It's within easy walking distance (you don't have to drive everywhere!) of Princes Street and the rest of the touristy-places in Edinburgh, but from the top floor you can see the castle from your bedroom window.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a Superbreak Theatre deal with my 14 year old granddaughter and paid more than I should have. However the room we were given was huge and absolutely spotless. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Haymarket station with regular buses to Princes Street - 100, 26 and 31 buses with an adult fare of £1.50. The only problem was that our room (Room 1) was on the ground floor near the bar and I was wakened at 3.45am by a very loud man on his mobile outside our room shouting to his friend where he was. I could then hear lots of shouting and conversation coming from the bar area and when I complained I was told there was a 24 hour bar - the customer toilets were directly across the corridor from our room. We didn't eat here as the cost of breakfast was too expensive for what was on offer.

I would stay here again if I had a different room away from the bar area.

• Stayed: January 2014