“SAFE, CLEAN, INEXPENSIVE”

Saint Louis, Missouri
“SAFE, CLEAN, INEXPENSIVE”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Travel to Scotland twice a year and stay in EDi. Found Travelodge,
now don't look any where else. Prices, locations, cleanliness. Single F SAFETY IS A BIG PLUS for me. Most near the Airport bus route.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Scotland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here overnight on a business trip. I was booked into a single room that was compact and bijou to say the least but had all the necessary stuff. The hotel is in a converted building, so it does creak and groan somewhat. There is a lift to the top floor, but it does make for good exercise if you don't use it.

The hotel has been made over with the TL new look, so even though it was a single bed, it was comfortable. The en-suite shower room was long and narrow, with a sliding door.

Breakfast the following morning was functional, but not inspiring. Tinned tomatoes have never done it for me, the bacon and sausage were okay. Scrambled eggs were overdone and just not nice. But the coffee was hot and the cereal was your standard boxed Kellogs fare.

The man on reception was very helpful, especially when I was looking to dismantle something I'd bought that wouldn't fit into my case!

Room Tip: There might be a degree of road noise at the front of the hotel due to the cobble setts outside, so...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ScotchMissed
Bologna
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is centrally located near haymarket.
It's a nice building, the room was spacious and perfectly cleaned.
Breakfast was really good

In our room we had only one towel and no soap. No hairdryer. No telephone in the room to contact the reception
The shower wasn't working correctly: the water was coming out SOOOOOOOOOO slowly
It was nightmare.

On our floor there were some guests making noise and screaming all night till 8 am!!!!!!!!
This was unacceptable. We couldn't sleep at all

Staff not really friendly

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Larbert, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

about a 2-3 minute walk from Haymarket station, on a quiet street opposite a city garden, a rather nice location in the city. Close enough to the nightlife and a very comfortable and hugely spacious room. After a night out in Edinburgh i want to come back to a clean room, with a comfortable bed and no noise in the morning to wake me too early. This place hits the spot perfectly. Young staff that clearly take pride in their work, gave us a warm and friendly welcome.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

London
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was a bit worried when I booked this as the prior reviews were quite scathing. I went ahead with the booking as it was cheap, only for one night and right in the middle of the festival period. First thing to say is that the location is great, right near to town but in a quiet street off the main drag. On arrival the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful. She took the time to show us three rooms as we are a bit fussy and none quite fitted the bill for us. When we said that our main worry was having a quiet nights sleep she showed us a room in the basement which was quite a walk from reception and was totally removed from the rest of the hotel apart from one other room opposite. The room was quite literally huge but with the regular amount of Travelodge furniture ie sparse there was a lotr of bare floor space! Saying that the room was super quiet and I can say I had the most peaceful nights sleep I have ever had in any hotel at any price! If peace and quiet is your thing then go for this room, sorry I cant remember the number but I'm sure if you made the same request as us you would find it. All in all I can only highly recommend the receptionists patience and effort to please. This plus the location and cheap price made this a great choice for us. As a warning I would have to say that we were lucky with our room so others may not have such a good experience given this is a cheap hotel and may not attract the best clientelle leading to possible noise and disruption. Having said that I have paid hundreds of pounds and still had to experience neighbours from hell! Staying in a hotel is a bit of a lottery when you are fussy about noise like me!

Room Tip: Ask for the basement room which is a long walk from reception if you want peace and quiet and to be...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swissisbliss
maestrodimente
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Gorgeous old Travelodge building situated a convenient 5 minutes walk from Edinburgh's Haymarket station.

The staff team are excellent - I had to say this first and foremost. They really couldn't be more helpful, proving chatty, entertaining, knowledgable and cheerful. Food served with my pre-booked meals was basic, but tasty, and it always arrived with a smile. The staff team deserve a pay rise just for being so really nice :-)

The hotel itself is an old building, and it shows. Creaky floors, draughty windows and seemingly no insulation from the noise from other rooms were a real let down. Twice in the past week I've had cause to knock on other guests' doors to ask them to either turn their TV sets down, or place their chimpanzees/children/buffalo herd under control and be considerate of other guests.

Cleanliness is another concern. My most recent room welcomed me to a small parcel of hairs placed neatly on the bathroom sink. I've no idea whether the previous guest was feeling generous, or whether the service team might have simply misplaced some of their own, but it didn't really appeal to me I'm afraid. Given that the carpet had been unvacuumed, and remained so for the duration of my stay ( a thoughtfully placed piece of disposable Kleenex on the room carpet had awaited my arrival, and remained there even when I checked out), I thought I'd be kind and use a towel to clear away the hair-parcel from the sink, just in case the next guest didn't appreciate that sort of thing.

This aside, it seems a popular hotel, thankfully free of corporate pretentiousness, and had a healthy mix of both business and family travellers to be catered for. One thing I'd ask staff to do is bear in mind that when a business guest arrives, it might be best not to place him next to a family of screaming Spaniards who do nothing but fight with their kids and each other. Separating business and family guests makes sense to me, and it's worth bearing in mind that like any customer, business travellers tend to mention these things when friends or colleagues are looking for digs too. My own recent noise-related encounters in this hotel with the drunken hippy who feel asleep watching TV at full blast, the fighting Spaniards, and the arguing Geordie workmen mean that it won't be my first choice for my frequent return trips to Edinburgh. Much as the staff are brilliant at what they do, it's not enough to save this place from a below average rating in my book.

Room Tip: Bring your own bio-hazard suit and some ear plugs.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bellissimomare
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your review bellissimomare. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hospitality of our hotel staff so it is regrettable to learn that the rest of your stay did not reflect this high level of service. We hope all our guests have a good night’s sleep with us so we require a night staff member to patrol the hotel to ensure that a respectable level of noise from our other guests is maintained and we also try to reduce noise in our hotels by having insulated walls. We also expect our staff to follow a strict routine in the cleaning of our rooms and we would require them to be cleaned to our high standards. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution so please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is a great old Travelodge, its in a very good location, near to Haymarket railway station and only 15 minutes walk from Princes .Street. All the staff were exceptionally helpful, our room on the third floor had a great view and was very quiet. Breakfast excellent too, would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: ask for room 305
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family