“Average”

Ranked #327 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in September with my friend. Our room was at the top of the house and was nice enough. Bathroom small but okay. Breakfast was average, was strange to see people coming in from the house next door! On our first morning we asked for a jug of milk for our coffee and were told to use the milk from a 4 pint carton on the dresser with the cereals .
Wasn't pleased when we arrived back from our day out to find the beds hadn't been made, the coffee etc., hadn't been replenished and the cups were still unwashed ! Went down to ask for more milk for what coffee/tea we did have, there was no problem about that.

This guest house has a nice park outside and is only a short bus ride from Princes Street, pity it was just 'average'.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The room was tidy, but the shower and sink had mold, there was no soap provided, the tv reception was so bad we couldn't watch television and the dvd player didn't work, and at night there were guests next door who were so noisy at midnight that I rang at 1a.m. to have the host come as them to quiet down, but no one answered the phone...I had to go out and ask them to quiet down, which was to no avail. It was not possible to cancel our stay for the second night as they have a no cancel policy and your credit/debit info for booking. When I wanted to put in a formal complaint and not pay the full, overpriced rate of £75/night (we stayed two nights) I was given a phony phone number to an owner, Mrs. Roberston, who is never around to speak with. When I have rang the main number or cell number provided to ask for the correct number, the host has continually hung up on me!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Franzi T

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

London
Reviewed 17 April 2012

After reading the reviews of this guest house I was a bit apprehensive about the staying here, but, it was quite acceptable. It is a 10 minute bus ride from Princess Street with regular bus's. It has a nice park outside and is in a quiet neighbourhood. It was what I expected for the price I paid, I had a double room, ensuite and the room, ensuite and bedding where all very clean. Yes maybe the walls looked a little bit tired but overall I was impressed at the cleanliness.
There was a dining room where they served a cooked breakfast with help yourself to cereals and orange juice, this was also very acceptable.
Overall if you want a B&B outside of the city centre I would say this one is far better than the reviews on here lead you to believe. No its not 5* but served me well.

Room Tip: I would avoid the single room at the front, above the entrance stairs as this is a very small room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank energyuk
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We were booked in for 5 nights from 8-13 September 2011 at Hermitage Guest House. We arrived to be sent 'next door' to Cameron House ?I was told I could only stay in this room for 1 night ! My room which would have slept 4 - no plug in basin/only two of the lights had bulbs in/ could sit on the loo and my knees were in the shower/longlife milk past sellby date - tasted metallic/the room was cold/my sister's 'ensuite' was a basin adjoining a toilet above which was the shower (no separation!).Next morning I visited my 'new room' - tiny/ with even smaller bathroom at the back of the house (my sister decided to stay put). I insisted I be given a room in Hermitage guest house- another room which would have slept 4 ! I sat on the loo and my knees were in the shower ! the breakfasts were appalling - no milk on the table/ recognised the juice - from a cheap overseas store - watery/cold toast. The dining room had a corner of boxes etc and general debris in it. The dining room of Cameron House was filled with mattresses/beds/chairs etc. The family running these establishments have not a jot of interest in the wellbeing of their guests - sadly the mother and father had a limited degree of english (although the daughter was fluent and sharp). This guesthouse has a sign which says it is AA 3* star rated. I have checked today with the AA and their registration is no longer in existence.Their next door property 'Cameron House' is nowhere to be found! The Edinburgh tourist board do not have them listed either. We were charged £55 per night for a single room. THIS IS A COMPLETE RIP - OFF.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan C
Mumbai
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Being the Fringe Festival time, this was the only single room I could find in Edinburgh that too only for 2 days. The room is TINY and the Bathroom is the Smallest space I have ever seen. There is no place for more than a large back pack or a small cabin Size suitcase in the single room unless it is kept standing upright.
There was a long wait for Breakfast as there are limited seats and they bring it out pre plated based on what u request for the previous night. My B/F got mixed with someone else's and the lady barely spoke English for me to clarify. Only 1 girl (Tina) speaks English but goes to university so if she isn't around, unless you speak Chinese you won't have much Joy!

Having said that, for that price during the festival (45 Pounds per night) I was happy that it even had an en suite and the room was clean and had a great view of the park. Also the Bus stand is right outside the house with No 12 and 25 going to Princes street so easy to commute. The Tesco super market is closeby so all in all good Location, clean room and bathroom. I would stay here again altho I would prefer a bigger room if possible.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank anvin23
Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The single room I had was comfortable but had no hair dryer. Location is good as the bus stop into the city centre is on the same street only a few metres walk. It is not luxurious but good value for money. The guesthouse was full when we stayed there so even we had to book (and select) breakfast for a certain time we had to wait a while as the breakfast room was full. Otherwise the room and facilities were not luxurious but comfortable enough.

Room Tip: no hair dryer in room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ConnieIreland
Manchester
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Basic but ok if you're not too fussy ( your wife/ girlfriend/ boyfriend wouldn't be impressed !). Rooms small and not serviced for either of our 3 night stays. Pleasant people, just need to improve on housekeeping.
Never seen a milkjug on the breakfast table, very bizarre.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business