“Best Indian Restaurant in Edinburgh”
Review of rivage

rivage
Ranked #808 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We discovered this restaurant about a year ago and just keep going back for more. It is superb. The food is different from any other In Indian restaurant we have ever been to. Quite unique. And the flavours really come through and delight your taste buds. Not only that, it's not expensive with an option to BYOB even though they are licensed. And their own wine is good and with inexpensive brands too. I also love the fcat that nothing is too much trouble. We have started to take our fiends and family their on special nights out and no-one yet has been disappointed. It's an out-of-the-way gem.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is the second eat-in meal we have had at the Rivage.

We did find the restaurant a bit cold, and the chairs are still very hard. Please, please, please upgrade the menu to something nicer as they are really awful. They do not do the restaurant justice - as does the lack of a website and online booking.

The food was good, reasonably priced, lots of flavour and we all really enjoyed it.

Service is not the best but an improvement on the last visit.

Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I see mixed reviews here and can only say that our experience at Rivage was excellent. The lamb curry that I had was exactly what I wanted. The menu had familiar dishes and ones that were not familiar to me at all, from a variety of areas of India. I tried a very nice vegetable starter I had never seen before. We went when visiting friends in Edinburgh. The two wives were both vegetarian and needed dairy free food; the two guys both non-vegetarian. We got poppadoms, starters and main courses and the food was inexpensive given large portion sizes. I had an extra nan, which was great - I'd seen them being cooked in front of me. The wine was good and not very dear (a Spanish white), though there were much fancier ones on the menu. My wife's food (a couple of vegetarian side dishes served as a main course) were excellently cooked but a bit spicy for her taste. It may be advisable to ask and check how spicy particular dishes are. The friends who brought us to Rivage used to live in Birmingham, renowned for very good curry. This small modern restaurant, where the front of house staff were two Scottish ladies, was the quality of Indian food you find in areas with large Indian sub-continent populations.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I returned to Rivage after having been put off it for a couple of years by being given uncooked aubergine in a vegetarian dish. So, I decided to give them another go tonight. I ordered the Goan Fish curry which was very bland and had a wierd metallic after taste. I complained and ordered a lentil dahl instead. This simple dish was so bland, all I could taste was lentil, no spices were detectable at all. It was like boiled lentils with no salt, even. In an Indian restaurant? Very very poor food. I will not return.

1  Thank lindsalba
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here on many occasions, with family, friends, small groups and large groups. I am never disappointed. Food is obviously cooked to order, fresh and flavoursome. Excellent vegetarian range and will do half and full portions so you can mix and match. Murgh Tiranga is a firm favourite but the monkfish starter or scallops are great too. BYOB is an added bonus but restaurant is fully licensed if you forget to take your own. I am surprised and the negative comment about the service, I have always received a warm friendly welcome and made to feel that nothing is too much hassle. Slightly different menu from the norm and well worth a visit.......taste buds are in overdrive just writing this!