“Excellent B & B”

Browns Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #57 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for a belated anniversary weekend.

The room was lovely and totally spotless. The owners were very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast both days was fabulous. Chosen from a menu, we got to pick exactly what we were in the mood for and it was cooked perfectly.

Thanks again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 February 2013

As South Africans travelling with terrible exchnage rate, this is really great value for money. Very central. Attention to detail is amazing. Comfortable warm beds; spacious rooms. Brilliant service from Marion and Norrie. Warm and friendly hosts who make you feel so welcome and that you want to retrun "next time". They were very happy to oblige with a packed breakfast for the day we were off early on a tour of the highlands.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
bingo20, Owner at Browns Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Hello Girls we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at Browns BB and hope to see you both again in the future enjoy Oban

Reviewed 21 December 2012

We stayed at Brown's for a conference. The room was clean and comfortable. Great location. However, we found the owners to be somewhat rigid. We were the only guests at the time and yet it appeared to be too difficult to accommodate our breakfast time in order to get to the conference on time. We ended up skipping breakfast and picking p food en route. While we were allowed a later check-out (approximately 1:00 pm), when we arrived to pick up our luggage, the room was stripped including the bathroom so we could not use it prior to departure for the airport. Unfortunately, our experience was soured.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank punk_n_tiller
bingo20, Owner at Browns Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

I am responding to this reveiw as i feel let down with it .As i explained to the guests via email this is a bed and breakfast and i need to strip and clean the rooms for the next guests coming to stay .My earliest breakfast is 8.00 am and i am sure i would have offered a breakfast to go as i do with all guests. As i can only accommadate 8 people at the house We only have four rooms .I do offer to keep luggage when ever possible as i do not have staff or 24 hour reception .It would be impossible to let the leaving guests use the bathroom and bedroom when they return for luggage as other guests have usually arrived during that day and expect there rooms to be ready for there stay in Edinburgh .If it was a hotel i am sure they would not get the room to use when they return they would be charged another days stay .Luggage would be kept in a locked luggage room until they return

Reviewed 12 December 2012

I have just returned from a weekend away with my friend. We stayed at Browns' B & B this is a spotless B & B, very comfortable beds and tastefully decorated. Marion and Norman are a very pleasant couple, very easy to talk to and very helpful. Would stay here again if I was visiting Edinburgh and I highly recommend Browns. Not far from Princes Street and situated near the Playhouse.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms no issue with the room I was in at the front.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I should start by saying this is my first negative review, and I really am loathed to do it, but the stay was just not up to scratch.

We have just come back from a two night break staying at Browns on a Saturday and Sunday night.

Firstly, some positives. The room was of a decent size and the bed was comfy. Room was quiet and good sleep was had. The dog was charming (it is old & blind) and tea and coffee facilities were fine.

The negatives:

i) The bathroom was, we were told by our host, "a feat of engineering". It was effectively a split level wet room where you were showing next to a toilet paper dispenser. God forbid you wanted to use the toilet after the shower, as the floor would inevitably be wet. It was an odd room, and a bizarre design. Put simply, it didn't work, and a separate bathroom would have been a better idea rather than trying to squeeze a shower, toilet & sink into a cupboard.

ii) Breakfast. We stay in B&B's in Edinburgh because of the breakfast. Breakfast is everything for a B&B! It is really their only chance to show a bit of what they stand for on a plate, and I always look forward to it while away. In truth, it was so bad, it was funny.

On the first morning I had selected the full Scottish breakfast. It was awful. The sausages were processed, had no texture, and were the cheapest of the cheap. The filling had a strange slimy texture, probably because it was mechanically reclaimed, rather than actual meat. Poached eggs were not an option, and had to be requested on the breakfast form. The hostess advised she had struggled with the poaching; the egg was fine, but hadn't been drained properly, and so there was water all over the plate. The bacon, similar to the sausages, was of a poor quality, and it was a shame. Mushrooms were odd, not a nice flavour, and way way overcooked. The Haggis though.....the haggis was really awful. The texture was very bizarre. It was 'wet', and wobbled if shook. The flavour was unpleasant, and I feel I may have been spoilt in the past having some very good Haggis from all over Scotland, but this tasted like it was from a tin.

Most of the food was left, and we had a large lunch to make up for it.

The second day we both decided to go for soft boiled eggs, as how could you mess those up? "They're a bit hit & miss my boiled eggs!". I don't see how...she had done them for at least 10mins, and they were totally solid!

Again, both breakfasts were left barely touched.

I suppose I wonder, as lovely as the couple are, whether this business is for them? If you can't boil an egg, should you really be running a B&B?

We were charged £80 per night and stayed in Room 3.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The3Dean
bingo20, Owner at Browns Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Trip adviser has removed this reveiw ? three times .The review is not a contructive critisium but an attack on me and buisness .I am very dissapointed that someone is allowed to sabbatage me amd my buisness as there were no complaints from the guests when they stayed .If they had a complaint it would have been manners to tell me .On the weekend they stayed in October there were six other guests who stayed and two rooms have put a reveiw on to trip adviser about there stay with me . A number of bed and breakfast owners have contacted me and are distgused about this personal attack on myself and property

Reviewed 13 November 2012

I love staying at your place Marion! Excellent service, quality rooms, free WIFI, and lovely breakfast (I already miss your smoked salmon meal).
Location is just excellent, 15 minutes walking away from the Center, a bus stop is just 2 minutes away giving an access to majority locations in Edinburgh. Not to mention the Library and a Tesco express which are just one block from the B&B. But above all, the warm welcoming and friendly atmosphere you get at Browns! Thank you Marion for everything!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I love this B&B! Such a lovely place which makes me feel welcome upon my stay. Always make me feel like it's my home from home. I honestly could not rate this place any higher than I can, the owners are so friendly and helpful. Always accommodating my every need. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them.
A great location with lovely rooms.
Whilst staying in Edinburgh, I would always recommend Browns B&B.

• Stayed: October 2012