“Great location, amazing price, very nice.”

Hot-el-apartments Edinburgh Waterfront
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Reading through other users reviews I had many of the same concerns. Specifically it is hard to locate (not on GPS), and difficult to find the office. We happened to stop that the local ASDA (Walmart) to look for better instructions when we could not locate the apartments, and the gentleman at the ASDA gas station seemingly knew our plight, and told us exactly how to get there -- drive ALL the way down the street, turn left at the end.

The apartments are huge, well appointed, and delightful. We were upgraded to a two bedroom suite for free. The apartments each have their own on demand hot water tank that are extremely new -- so any issues with those should be extremely isolated.

You can't beat the value for how nice the apartments are, but there is a little work to make it all come together.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We booked through a booking agent but there was no instructions on how or where to check in,i spoke with the reception desk person on the phone twice to try to find out where to go.The apartment was nice apart from the lingering smell of the previous occupants curry meal.It is a good location and because it has parking this is a bonus.Close to pubs,restaurants,shopping and a convenient 24 hour supermarket.I would stay here again as it was well equipped and comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed there over the New Year for 2 nights and it is a great location even though out of town as there is a very regular bus access into the city. Parking is also good.

The views are great and the kitchen and main living area are nice and spacious.

However we booked a 3 bedroom apartment to be shared between 3 couples. The smallest bedroom was so small that there was only room for a double bed and one bed side table. There was no wardrobe or anything else in the room.

The next size room had the same amount of furniture (why was there only one bed side table when there was room for another one) and some built in wardrobes.

The master bedroom was bigger but no more furniture and had a small ensuite shower room.

This was the only shower in the apartment as the main bathroom which was quite large only had a bath and not even a hand held shower head.

Quite frankly it was not acceptable as we all ended up taking it in turns to share the one shower.

To be honest we would have probably got better bedroom/bathroom facilities staying in a Premier Inn at a cheaper price. I do not think this is very good value.

Room Tip: Note the comments about room size and bathroom facilties - it is an issue aprticualry if you are sta...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travelhappyalways
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed for a Saturday night and wasn't disappointed. Having stayed at other apart-hotels I knew what to expect, you have to remember that this is not a hotel. Booked a 1 room apartment and was given 2 room apartment, nice surprise. Main bedroom had en-suite facilities.

Reception is rather difficult to find, not well sign-posted but as this had been mentioned in other reviews I checked out Google streetview before setting out. I hadn't realized that the complex was spread over various blocks, so check-in before taking all your luggage out of the car!

We were able to park "on street" so can't comment on the underground car park.
We were on the 4th floor of block 7 which had a view, not the nicest as the docks are still used, but a nice view over the Firth of Forth and, if you lean out of the window, you can see the Royal yacht Britannia over at Ocean Terminal.
The location allows easy access to the city centre using public transport, don't drive unless you know Edinburgh as you will drive around for ages looking for somewhere to park that won't cost a fortune.
The facilities were as described, just!. The complementary toiletries consist of a tiny bar of soap. Plenty of tea, coffee and little cartons of uht milk.
Master bed was 2 singles zipped together which I dislike but seems to be the way in a lot of places nowadays.
Could do with some additional mirrors in the bedroom with power sockets nearby, girlfriend had to use the mirror in the hallway. The bathroom didn't have a shaver socket and needs a light over the mirror.
Our room was ready but the paperwork wasn't so we were unable to check-in at 2pm but we got an hour later check-out free of charge for the inconvenience.

A few negative comments above but only for minor things as, overall, I would recommend the Hot-el-apartment.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We booked direct with Hot-el Apartments on their website and got a better rate than online booking agencies were offering. We specified the features we wanted and they were all met. We had a 2 bedroom apartment on the 7th floor with great views. Everything was clean, warm and comfortable, everything worked, no hot water problems. The reception staff were always on hand in the office and they were polite and helpful.
We missed having a cafetiere but just bought real coffee sachets from Asda which is a short walk away. We used to live in the area many years ago and it's nice to see new restaurants and cafés, try Port of Siam, a tiny but great Thai restaurant and Porto and Fi cafe/bistro.
Definitely recommend the apartments and it's worth asking for the location and features that you would like plus checking their own website for prices.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I would really like to give this place a better review, but I can't. The place has lots of great potential, but it did not seem to be well kept.
The good ... location, size, free parking, nearby restaurants and shopping. The location near the harbor is nice. If feels somewhat secluded and had great access to the public bus system. For £1.50 one way or £3.50 day ticket, you can be in Edinburgh center in 20 minutes. The unit was very nice sized. It was a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit with a true master bedroom (with its own toilet and shower), a living room and kitchen. The size was great. There is free parking both street and garage available. There is a nearby pub and a harbor area with very nice restaurants within walking distance. The Ocean Terminal mall is about 1 mile away and had decent restaurants, movies, and shopping.
The bad .. check in service and fees, parking, beds, cold water, and the smell. Checking in started off poorly. The office is not easily found, ut was at the very back of the complex. When we did find it, the clerk was on a smoke break so we waited as he finished his cigarette. Upon checking in, we were informed that the apartments charges service fees for using credit cards. We were not prepared for this additional charge and was very disappointed. The parking is free, but access to the parking garage requires a remote which is provided "subject to availability". When we arrived, there were no remotes available, so we had to park on the street. Street parking is fairly limited. The beds were horrible. For a master bedroom, I was surprised that they pushed 2 single beds together. They were not comfortable. In the 2nd bedroom, one of the mattresses had exposed springs which cut my daughter and I as we walked by it. Overall the unit seemed to be in good condition, but one morning we woke up to no hot water. The shower started out mildly warm but after 3 minutes was ice cold. We called the service number and had hot water in the evening but had already had to suffer through the shower. Worst of all, the 2nd bedroom had a very strong pet urine odor smell. We informed the service desk, but as we were there for the New Years holiday they did nothing about it. We had to remind ourselves that these are truly managed apartments, not hotels. We were there for 4 nights and never saw a cleaning crew or fresh linens.

Room Tip: We were assigned an apartment in building 8 on the ground floor. There are no views to be had. Apar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jay J
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Just. Returned from a two night stay at Hotel el Apartments. This is my third time in a couple of years staying there now and I am never disappointed.
I booked a one bedroom apt. For myself. But when I arrived at the flat I discovered it was a two bedroom apartment I had been given. Much to my delight and surprise .
I found it to be. Very spacious. Clean modern and very comfortable .
They have thought of just about everything you would need for a very homely. Stay here.
It was already cosy and warm when I arrived also. Which was Lovley .
I wish. I could have stayed longer in the apartment and didn't want to leave.
All in all. Yet another. Great stay here. Couldn't really fault much at all. .
Will defiantly be back. Again I,m sure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo