“Theft from Car Park”

Hot-el-apartments Edinburgh Waterfront
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We booked a two bed roomed apartment overlooking the waterfront. The apartments appeared to be relatively secure being accessed by a fob which opened a central door to the building. There is also an underground carpark which is accessed via electrically operated roller shutters again you need a fob to operate these. We were therefore extremely disappointed to find our bikes had been stolen in the middle if the night. Presumably someone had gained access to the garage and then forced the locks of the bike rack to remove the bikes and leave the building without any difficulty. Signs throughout indicated the presence of CCTV however the hotel reception staff appeared disinterested in our loss and no one has been in touch to indicate whether the cameras recorded anything or indeed were even working. The apartments themselves were adequate but a like tired. The surrounding area seemed neglected as though building work had been abandoned. Having recently stayed at The Apple Apartments in Greenwich London there was no comparison. I was disappointed in the quality, service and overall experience. The theft from the car park left a very sour taste. I would not return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank nicehotels4me

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We only stayed for one night and did not cook in the apartment but we were very happy with the accommodation (Block 7 No. 12) Everything was clean, it was spacious, nice views over the water. We had to contact reception to request milk but that was a minor oversight.
As mentioned by others there is the minimum of toiletries provided (two little bars of soap in the two bedroomed apartment) but I usually take my own shampoo etc anyway.
If there was a 'good' rating I would probably use that instead of 'very good' but I would use this place again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank tembo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I recently stayed in these apartments. First impressions were great, the location was superb withviews of the Royal Yatch Brittania and the firths of fourth. The apartment blocks look quite new but the area around them looks like it is awaiting further development maybe work stopped when the recession hit. The apartment are furnished to a reasonable standard but in ours all the furniture showed signs of wear. The bed in the master bedroom was well past its use by date and really needs replacing. The overall cleanliness could also be better there were cobwebs in several corners and the cooker was terrible. Somebody had wrapped all the oven /grill racks in tin foil so to cook I had to unwrap them. When I did unwrap then I found that they were full of congeilled grease. I spent half an hour cleaning somebody else's dirt before I could even cook. I did complain to the cociege about this but he just looked at me and said sorry. There was also no mesh in the grill pan or handle to pull it out when in use and as a result I ended up with a burn on my hand.
If you decide to go to Edinburgh town centre use the bus which stops just across the road. Its only a 20 minute journey and only costs £1.50 each way and the buses run frequently.
Be prepared to pay £100 deposit on arrival by credit card. Parking can also be as bit of an issue there is an underground car park but we weren't given to this so we had to park on the road outside along with lots of other people.
I have emailed my complaints to the management but as of yet I have heard nothing not even an acknowledgement. When I was checking out there were several other people complaining about their apartment so it wasn't just our apartment that had issues.

Room Tip: Avoid block 7 apartment 4
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank truckdoctor
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Hot-el apartments Edinburgh Waterfront for three nights. We were four adults and two children (aged 2 & 4) in our group. Despite having booked our stay a couple of months in advance, during check-in I was told that the booking was only valid for 4 adults and 1 child. I was told to pay GBP 20 extra per night for the second child. This meant that I had to pay an extra GBP 60 for the entire stay.

This was clearly against the hotel's rules as the children who do not require separate beds are included in the price of the apartment. This is clearly stated on the hotel's website and I have tried to contact the hotel twice until now and haven't received a response yet. I clearly feel cheated and would not stay at the hotel apartments again. I would sincerely urge all of you who are traveling with children under 5 years of age to not pay the additional amount.

The other issue was the parking space around the property and the underground parking was flooded due to water leaks in the pipes which rendered the parking space useless. This issue was not looked into for the three days even after I had pointed it out on the first day.

Really disappointing!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rohan V
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were in town to visit the Royal yacht Britannia and were happy to be outside the city centre. We had a car so the location was fine for us. We booked a two room apartment for four of us. Check in went ok, no wait but the gentleman greeting us although he had good English, it was not his first language and he spoke very fast with a strong accent. It was straight forward to gain access to the apartment. We found parking at the apartments tricky but we were lucky enough to find a space outside our holiday base. The rooms were ideal for us for a short term stay, double room with ensuite shower room and twin room, family bathroom, lounge and dining kitchen. The furniture was pretty low budget but was not uncomfortable. The kitchen was sparsely stocked with equipment. One large frying pan and one large pot. I think this is poor. There were clean towels on the beds and a minute piece of soap but it was fine for a short stay. There were plenty tea bags and sugar, etc, even small long life milk cartons in the fridge. We stocked up at the Asda, which is at the end of the road as you turn up towards the flats. We had takeaway one night from the Loch Fyne restaurant and ate in the city centre the other night. If we were going back we would take cooking items with us.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lassie
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here 21.5.14. Was upgrade from 1 bedroom to 3 bedroom. View was great. Best apartments we have stayed in. Clean, everything you would need. Dishwasher, american fridge, washer, tea, coffee, milk, hairdryer.
Would definately stay there again.
Parking bays outside of apartments free.
Bus stop at back of apartments No 10 bus takes you directly into Princes St Edinburgh for £1.50 single or a day ticket for £3.20 which only takes 10-15mins.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and a high floor to appreciate the view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda j J
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We visit family in Edinburgh regularly and would normally use a hotel if staying over but prefer apartments now we have a toddler. We've stayed in the area before with one of the other providers which aren't registered in TripAdvisor and wonder if the bad reviews against this provider might just be miss posted because we recognise all those faults. In this case the apartment we had was well maintained, spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet. What more could we ask for? Well for a start the underground parking was thrown in which is a real bonus with the Edinburgh weather (it wasn't with the other place we stayed) and they had a high chair as well as travel cots for use oh and check in was at a reasonable time and not limited to a half hour slot like the other place either. The location is good for us because it is at the right side of town, but I can see why people might be disappointed if they want to be in the center of town and it is still a bit of a half finished development but still well kept with reasonable local services including a very local asdas and Brewster's. Negatives, the only I could pick on would be the quality of the cot which seemed prone to collapse but we managed to get it propped enough for us to be comfortable however I'm not sure I'd want to put a boisterous child in it. For us it was a good find and I'm sure we'll use it again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family