“Excellent”

Ranked #304 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
london
“Excellent”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had a great mid week stay. Room very spacious and clean with a few nice touches. Good location. Food very good. Great value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
new york
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This was sadly only a one night stay as we had to add an extra night in Edinburgh so it was a last minute booking and what a lovley treat it turned out to be. The room was unbelievable, large and impressive and it had a full decanter of a good port type drink and a large packet of real scottish shortbreads. The family were very welcoming, helpful and kind and we particulary enjoyed meeting all the children and their pets! It was the highest quality bed and breakfast we stayed at during our scottish trip and the friendliest. could not recommend more highly if you want somewhere special and happy to pay slightly more than budget guest houses.

Room Tip: we had glenmorangue (i may have spelt that wrong)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed at this establishment on the 22/11/2011 and was very pleased with the room we had booked which was the Glenturret Suite. It was large in size with high attention to detail in both the furniture and features such as the complimentary bottle of sherry.
However, what disappointed us greatly was the lack of guest service we experienced throughout our stay.
When we arrived we were not welcomed in any way and once provided with our key we were not offered any additional assistance such as informing us of local transport links to the city and where we could find the ironing board and hairdryer which the room was advertised as having but were nowhere to be seen.
We decided to go into the City centre for dinner and as we had never visited the area before, we went to see the owners to ask what bus we required to get there. However, after knocking several times on the all of the closed doors on the ground level over a period of ten minutes, we were completely ignored. Even though we could hear conversations on the other side of the door, no attempt was made by the staff to respond despite us knocking relatively loudly.
We also needed to know if there was curfew so once we had given up on knocking on the doors, we attempted to call both the office number and emergency mobile to check. However, to our disappointment there was no response on either number and to our utter disbelief we did not receive a call back despite us calling the emergency number.
The following morning we attempted to check out at the specified time of 10:00. Again there was no reply to our knocking and when we called the office number we were informed that no-one was in the property and to leave the key in the hallway.
We really enjoyed staying in the room but felt that the lack of guest interaction from the owners made us feel unwelcome. Even a greeting or a quick chat on check out would have made the stay more pleasant.
Finally, the free parking as advertised was full on arrival and the parking outside of the property was a maximum 4 hour stay during the day which meant we had to take our car into the city centre.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisY1987
England
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I booked and paid for the only room with ensuite bathroom to find out when I arrived at 7.30 pm as I had informed the owners I would, that it had mistakenly been given to other guests. The wife was very rude to me when I refused to accept the smaller room and share the communal bathroom. Her husband made it clear that the Continental breakfast (which was an additional charge) would be delivered outside my room sometime between 7.30 and 8.30 am when he had got their 3 young children ready for school. This token breakfast did not include a hot drink because I had a kettle in the room. However it was impossible to make my tea because the tea bags and tubes of UHT milk (as used by British Rail) were not replenished, and the mug and tea pot were not emptied or cleaned. The husband had also promised to find or replace the missing remote control for the TV, which he failed to do. I did not see either of the owners when I left, but a Spanish student (one of half a dozen emplyed on different days she told me) took the cash which you must use to pay your balance. The guests are clearly a nuisance to the owners of this house, which is well situated for good schools, but not for the centre of Edinburgh, and it is a hike to the nearest restaurants.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Goodtouristfood
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My family just stayed here for 2 nights, 28-30 May, and we enjoyed this place. We are an american family that traveled fromEngland and drove about 7-8 hours to get here. This is the first time we ever stayed at a B&B. We originally has reservations for NBS Guest House but we received a call the night before and we were asked if we would like to change to Merchiston Gardens for free. We were informed that it was a bigger room which we needed since I was traveling with my wife and 3 kids, 11, 9, and 2.

Before arriving I researched this place and already knew it was a pretty much somebody's house. I had my doubts about how big the rooms would be being that this is a residential home in the UK. After we arrived I was suprised at how big the room was. We stayed in the Glenturret Suite which has a bathroom inside. I'm pretty sure the other rooms don't since I saw other guests walking into their rooms in bath robes from a bathroom in the hallway. We brought our own tavel crib for our son and still had plenty of space to move about the room. The house is pretty quiet and I'm pretty sure we were the loudest guests that weekend. I know guests can be heard in the hallways since i could here my family talking in the room when i would go downstairs. Guest are provided with a small TV, water heater, coffee, and free Wi-Fi. The wi-fi was hit-or-miss in the room. One minute i'm cruising the internet and the next I had no signal. I'm guessing the router was downstairs and in a big house the signal won't be that strong. I just went in the hallway and was good. This was pretty much more of an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. I only needed the internet to do some research on locations before heading out in the town. The beds are REALLY COMFORTABLE! Better than the ones i have in my own house.

The only minus was that on the first night we didn't have much heat in the room. The young lady did try her best to accomodate us but with not much luck. The heat would turn on for a few minutes but then turn off again, even with the main heater control set to ON not TIMER. We dealt with this by using the nice thick blankets that are provided. The second night was better since the heat seemed to stay on all night.

Overall the stay was really nice and I would stay again if i was in the area. The bus stop we used was a few minutes away and took us right down the street from the Castle. Highly Recommend!

Room Tip: The Glenturret Suite has a private bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Riceburner22
Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Lovely family home B&B which we were welcomed into, Ross and Lorna the owners made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2011

15 Merchiston Gardens was everything I could have expected from a B&B and more.

The owners were very hospitable and we felt they did everything they could to make our stay a memorable one. To begin with we arrived late (as normal!) and Lorna did what she could to make sure we arrived at a family wedding on time.

The room was immaculately clean and very comfortable. 15 Merchiston Gardens is a beautiful Georgian townhouse and it was nice to stay somewhere so impressive. The old doors, stripped flooring and antique furniture was quite a contrast from the plastic Travel lodge we stayed in night before we arrived.

We would definitely stay there again and wholly recommend it to friends and family alike.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple