“Fantastic Stay”

Gil Dun Guest House
Ranked #15 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the Gil Dun Guest House over New Year for Edinburgh's Hogmany festivities. The room was spotless, with a large comfortable bed and a clean, modern ensuite bathroom. The staff were really friendly and helpful, ordering taxis and giving us advice on bus routes etc.. They also very kindly put "New Year" wine and chocolates in the room in addition to the usual tea/coffee tray.

Breakfasts were excellent with a good range on the menu. About 20 minutes walk from the Royal Mile and on a good bus route as well.

Would definately stay here again :)

Room Tip: Room 6 is very nice with views looking over the hills outside the City.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gil Dun Guest House

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We have just arrived back from our visit to the Gil-Dun Guest House and Edinburgh and once again we were not disappointed. The last time we came here was three years ago an it was like home from home. Gerry and Bill were so gracious made us feel really welcome nothing was too much trouble gave us so much valuable information service was second to none. When we decided that we would visit Edinburgh again we did not hesitate in booking the Gil-Dun again as we enjoyed our visit the first time. We were not disappointed, the rooms and guest house were spotless warm and inviting, breakfast was delicious as it always was with plenty to choose from and Gerry was there making sure that everything was ok which it was. If you are an animal lover you have to meet Troy he is adorable and so friendly just like his owners! The city centre is within walking distance aswell as easily accessible by public transport we chose the first option as it made a refreshing change. Once again I would highly recommend the Gil-Dun Guest House for amazing hospitality, I would certainly return here and would not entertain staying elsewhere. Thank you Gerry and co for having us see you again soon !!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just got back home after a great weekend in Edinburgh. The Gil Dun Guest House is brilliant. From the first moment we stepped through the doors we were made to feel so welcome, nothing is too much trouble for them and the whole of the guest house is so clean and fresh and the bedrooms were nicely presented and spotlessly clean! On arrival we were given lots of useful information on buses and places to eat. The Breakfasts were amazing, we were spoilt for choice. The Full Scottish Breakfast was wonderful and plentiful, we will definitely be returning, thank you Gil Dun!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My friend and I are young girls in our early 20's traveling alone. The Gil Dun Guest House made us feel safe and conformable. All of questions and needs were met as well. It was very clean, close to the city, quiet and great food! I would certainly stay there again during my next trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The owners were most welcoming and helpful, with advice on transportation options and restaurant suggestions. The location was about 20 minute walk from the Royal Mile, but within a 10 minute walk were two of the top 5 rated restaurants in the city, and several more dining options we wished we had time to visit. A charming pub is just up the street. Free parking in front of the building is a bonus not always found in city bed and breakfasts. (Room for about 4 cars) The room was absolutely beautiful and very quiet and the bed very comfortable. As other reviewers have mentioned, breakfast is top rate. I loved Edinburgh and would love to visit again, and would definitely make Gil-Dun my home base.

Room Tip: Our main floor room was very spacious and faced the back garden.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank archar
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Based on recommendations from Rick Steves (my travel guru!) and Trip Advisor I booked a single room for the too short 3 nights that I visited Edinburgh.

What a fabulous choice! The whole place was so warm and inviting. The rooms that I saw were all just as gorgeously decorated and clean as mine was. Gerry and Bill took excellent care of me, starting with taking my luggage upstairs and then giving me detailed bus instructions so that I made it back "home" each evening.

Breakfast is beautifully served with linen tablecloths and napkins and menus, with each room assigned a table--no chance that you might not have a place to sit when you are ready for breakfast! There was a huge variety of items to choose from on the breakfast table and then of course there was a wonderful selection of items that were cooked to order. My main regret about breakfast was that I couldn't stay long enough to be served on the last morning--but I had some fresh fruit and yogurt and more waiting for me grab on the way to the airport.

What I thought would be a problem turned out to be a minor inconvenience--the single room has a bathroom a short way down the hall. And I normally have to make a trip at least once during the night. But it is a large private bath--locked so there was never a worry that someone might be using it when I headed there. And there is also a sink in the bedroom. I had no problem with WiFi access (as I had had in a couple of other places I stayed on this trip).

The bus stop around the corner is very convenient but it's also an easy walk into the city. I walked down and gave my feet a break after walking around the city and came back by bus. And yes this location is very convenient to the south access trail to Arthur's Seat, but you might want to consider the other trail if you are not in the best physical shape--it's a lot more gentler approach. (I speak from direct personal experience!)

Thanks again to Jerry and Bill--I must come back because I ran out of time as I knew I would--of course, it will be a joy to return to Edinburgh and the Gil Dun!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Thank you so much Gil Dun for making out stay so incredible. We loved coming back at night, knowing that we would be warm, safe and comfortable. The distance is easy because of the bus system and it was nice to be somewhere quiet and away from the noise of the city center. The room was beautiful and had a great view. Breakfast was delicious and we felt very well cared for. Stay here if you are going to Edinburgh, I promise you won't regret it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends