“Excellent value for money and location”
Review of Rowan Guest House

Rowan Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rowan Guest House
Ranked #264 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2012

As a solo female traveller, I look at not just only the value for money and location, but also reviews written by like travellers.

I stayed three nights and based my booking on all of the above, I was given a double room on the first floor with a shared bathroom, which was at the front of the house and lovely and roomy, a couple would manage here very well. I was the only person on the floor for two nights so had the bathroom to myself, the bathroom is newly renovated and had lot of lovely hot water with a really strong flow. These things are important to me. Importantly there was a second toilet, so that one did not have to wait until the bathroom was free.

The location is fantastic and I used the bus on both days, easy. Both Alan & Angela were only too happy to provide information re timetables, Post Offices and restaurants. Just a street away is a whole range of restaurants and supermarkets

I will certainly be telling people to stay here and would stay again should I return to Edinburgh

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Noeleen S

Reviewed 25 September 2012

We visited Edinburgh in August when the city was fully booked out. Rowan Guest House is a nice quiet place about 15 minutes away by bus from the city centre. The rooms were freshly renovated, the service was excellent and so was the breakfast. We had a great time though it was a little bit expensive.

PS: Try the porridge! :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My stay here was for a week while trying to find a flat in the city and starting a new job. The attitude of the staff here made such a difference at quite a stressful point - I can't say enough nice things.

The value for what you got was excellent, the place was spotless, the staff were fantastic. There was a reduced rate for not having breakfasts and when I checked out early they happily waived a cancellation fee.

This is a perfect example of what a small private business should aim to be. They were accomodating, hospitable and there was always that personal touch. You felt like they were genuinely nice people who wanted to help out, not just get money out of you. At the end of the day though, a business is a business and this is a brilliant way to create customer loyalty.

If I'm ever asked to recommend a B&B in the city, it'll be here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Seven D
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We had a double room at the top of the house with private bathroom. The room was very nice and clean, but the most amazing thing of that b&b was the breakfast:Angela's freshly baked scones were incredible, and the fruit salad with so many different types of fruits, very good bacon and sausages!

The b&b is 30' by foot from the city center, but many buses run in the street nearby.
The street is very quiet and you hear nothing during the night!

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Chose this B and B just because it was the least expensive of the ones that had good reviews on tripadvisor. We took two rooms (a double and a twin) for ourselves and our teenage kids with a bathroom to share on the landing between us. The place was old fashioned including the furniture. I personally had a problem with the sheets as I like 100% cotton and theirs were not; also I'm afraid I'm a little sensitive to smells and the room my kids were in (the twin) had an unpleasant smell to it - so much so that I could not sit in their room with them. However, our room (the double) was fine. It seemed quite clean, the bathroom was spotless, but before checking out I looked just around and under the bed to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything and found a hair elastic with a couple of hair clips that were definitely not mine - obviously left by a previous room occupant and not cleaned up.

Room Tip: The twin room (not ensuite) at the back of the house first floor had an unpleasant smell to it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Rowan Guest House is located on a quiet street in a nice neighbourhood and you can reach the city centre in about 20 min on foot. Its owners are very, very friendly and helpful. They make a wonderful breakfast with lots of different choices. The room was rather small and we found the furniture a little old-fashioned but it was spotlessly clean and we felt very comfortable throughout our 2-night-stay.

Room Tip: Room no. 5 is a standard double room which has a good view on Arthur's Seat.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I booked a single room at the Rowan Guest House, with a shared bathroom, for a business trip.

The cost of the accommodation was very reasonable compared to the bigger hotels in the centre of Edinburgh, and yet it was within easy walking distance.

When I arrived, the owners, Angela and Alan were very friendly and helpful.

My room was at the front of the property, overlooking the side road, but the area was so quiet and peaceful, I got a great night's sleep!

The breakfast was amazing and I loved Angela's freshly baked scones! I would definitely stay here again, whether on business or just a sightseeing trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business