“Sweet!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Glenisala

The Glenisala
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Glenisala
Ranked #308 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Sweet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

Graham and Francois are the nicest people I met at any place, warm, welcoming, willing to help to the last detail, they made me feel special by asking me how my days went in Edinburgh, had small yet rich chats.

The breakfast was super hot and very fresh, usually; I'm asked if I want white or brown toast with my breakfast, they offered me three; white, brown or seeded!
a buffet of 4 kinds of juices, flavored yogurts, fruits, and 5 types of cereal packets, and you have a selection of jams and honey ready on your table, soft classical music, beautiful clean white sheets on tables, just marvelous.

The room was very comfy, Thick bed plenty of pillows, a wardrobe, a sink and a constantly running heating system, which makes the room steaming hot in a matter of minutes.
the carpet was clean, no signs of dark spots, I felt fresh just being in the room, which is updated every morning after breakfast time's up.

On the 1st floor there is one shared toilet and one shared bathroom+toiletl, both provided with sinks and soap, the bathroom had lots of shampoo/gel selections, not sure if that was left by visitors or provided by the hotel, I had my own anyway.

The place itself isn't too far from the center, 15 minutes by bus at £1.40, where you could go to Edinburgh castle, Vue cinema, Prince's Street and the incredible Edinburgh playhouse where my concert of "Distant Worlds" was held.

Absolutely loved my stay at the bed & Breakfast, would recommend to singles and couples alike.

I like changing venues and experiencing other places, but if I didn't I would definitely come back to the fabulous Glenisla.

Double recommended!!

Monty

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Matlock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

A little late arriving - motorway holdup but clear instructions for obtaining key. Warm welcome next morning. Breakfast good. (Would prefer option of filter coffee and porridge!) Friendly host - mine of information if you need to know anything about Edinburgh. Room a little cool on arrival - would have appreciated rad being turned up before arrival - it was a cold snap. En suite nds attention - shelf unstable, shower door not clean; but above all a heated towel rail or radiator for winter! Room 7 could do with a new mattress - a bit lumpy to say the least. Unfortunately unable to open window next morning to clear window condensation; could be a problem in summer being up in the roof. Couldn't get wi-fi connection but not a major prob. A lovely quiet location with easy parking. A well presented house. Suspect garden is a bonus in summer. City easily accessible on foot or by regular buses.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Very friendly landlord and clean, tidy room. Breakfast was very good, with plenty choice. Bus service to Princes Street excellent. Plenty info on transport, eating out etc. Only downside was quality of mattress a little lumpy.

Room Tip: Top floor quite a walk upwards, if you're not fit.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights and had a really enjoyable time. Graham was very welcoming and provided really helpful information, including a really useful printout about the local buses.

The room was comfortable and very good value for money considering the breakfast was also included in the price.

There are loads of buses and we didn't wait any longer than 3 minutes for a bus in either direction. Plus, you can get a bus right to the zoo from just outside the hotel.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
bigton, Manager at The Glenisala, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you very much for your comments.
Bath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed at the Glenisla during the wettest August weather I have ever seen and it was wonderful to come back to such a warm, cosy and well appointed room. We had the family room which had comfy chairs which were great for reading by the window or watching tv etc. The host could not have been friendlier or more helpful and breakfast was second to none.
The hotel is not the closest to the city centre but it is only a few minutes walk to the main road and all buses take you from there to the centre so it wasn't a problem. It was actually nice to get away from the bustle of the festival and enjoy a peacful night's sleep. I have excellent memories of our stay in Edinburgh and have recommended the Glenisla to all friends visiting the city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jorow
bigton, Manager at The Glenisala, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
We really appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you again.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

The room itself was quite ok – I had enough space and it was sufficiently quiet, but that’s the only reason that I gave this place 2 stars instead of one. Their big problem is customer care.
The day before arrival the owner informed me that the check in will close at 5 on that day (not at 7 as stated on the hotel website) - because apparently he had to meet a friend. After explaining that I can't make it that early I was given elaborate instructions on where to find the key if there's no one to let me in after 5. On arrival, the owner didn't have time to go through the check-in procedure properly, he was also not there at breakfast next day, but in the middle of the day when I was in town I received a call saying that since he couldn't take full payment on my arrival, he tried to charge my credit card - in my absence and without my consent! - but the bank blocked the transaction (good job they did!) and that I should urgently give him a different card number that would work!
There were problems with the quality of cleaning during my stay - one day on my return to the room I found some contents of the rubbish bin scattered on the floor, and the towels haven't been changed once in 5 days (although the statement on the wall read that they are changed at least once in 3 days). Finally, when on the day of departure I asked where I could leave my luggage, this was met by the look of surprise on the owner's face. He then mumbled that they are "in and out" and that there's left luggage service at the train station. In the end we managed to negotiate the time when I could collect my bag from the hotel, but throughout my stay things that are normally never problematic (like check-in, payment, and left luggage) turned out to be such. The reason seems to be that the owners prioritise their comfort and convenience way above that of their customers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank traveller552_12
bigton, Manager at The Glenisala, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
This review is both factually inaccurate and selective-and contrasts sharply with the vast majority of reviews on this and other sites.
Where possible we contact our guests a day or so before arrival, first to check that all is ok with their travel arrangments, secondly to see if they require any advice or assistance on how to get to us (for example from the airport or station) and thirdly to verify their likely arrival time (given check-in is usually between 2 and 7pm) and this contact has been favourably commented upon by many of our guests. This guest advised she expected to arrive between 4 and 5 pm so as I had managed to secure last minute tickets to a show in the Festival (so would be leaving just after 5pm) I gave her full details of our key safe arrangements-which did not seem to cause any difficulty at that time nor, later, upon arrival.
I was not on duty at breakfast the following morning but later, upon trying to secure payment of the balance due, using the card given to secure the booking, payment was declined. I felt it only fair and wise to let the guest know-not least in case this apparent shortage of funds caused her any embarassment in another shop or business-and to alert her to the need to have another card available "just in case".
She did not draw my attention during her stay to any cleaning/housekeeping issues so I can't really comment-save to say I find it very unlikely.
So far as luggage storage is concerned, we frequently do this for our guests (free of charge-unlike the railway station!) but as we are a small B&B (so for example may be out getting supplies for the B&B) we do ask for a likely return time to collect the luggage which I think is only reasonable.
We endeavour to give our guests particularly good, efficient and friendly service and thank all our guests for their kind comments in this regard
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stayed at the Glenisla during the Edinburgh festival so the city was very busy. Graham gave very thorough information to guests, though, and it is easy to get into the city centre from the B n B. We didn't have an en suite but you are aware of that when you book and the room was extra large which compensated somewhat. Altogether a very clean and efficient establishment in a truly beautiful city!

Room Tip: In a very quiet area - check that your room has an en-suite if this will bother you particularly.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family