“Better than the first time!”
Review of The Mitre Bar

The Mitre Bar
Ranked #263 of 2,568 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: You will find The Mitre Bar in Royal Mile Edinburgh within a short stroll of North Bridge, Waverley Station and Holyrood - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Mitre Bar is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was here a few weeks ago with the family and had a great meal. This made me visit with my mate last night. We had a great meal and also had fun listening to the music. It was as good as the last time and will now me my regular haunt when I'm in Edinburgh. Would recommend for a drink, a night out or a family meal. Great all round.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

For the last four years my wife and I have run the Edinburgh half marathon and as something of a tradition on the Sunday have eaten at The Mitre. Previously it has been great, good service, great food and reasonable prices; but unfortunately there was something of a change this year. We arrived about 7.30 and it quickly became apparent that only one person was serving, we got seated quickly but were ignored for 30 minutes - it took my wife to go up and ask to be served. The starters were lukewarm, we ordered lamb shank pie (which previously had been great), the pasty was baked so crisp you had to crack it and the accompanying mash was Luke warm. I think what disappointed me more though was the fact that four days ago I mailed the owning company Nicholsons, with the details and they have not responded.
We are planning to run in Edinburgh next year, but Sunday evening will be spent elsewhere.

1  Thank John C
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We visited the mitre bar on our recent trip to edinburgh. We enjoyed the food and the service. The fish and chips is a particular speciality. Would highly recommend

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Visited here in April 2014, this was our final meal during our stay in Edinburgh, conveniently located on the Royal Mile over the road from our hotel. A nice small and friendly pub with some great period features. Service really friendly and quick, food was tasty and good value for money.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

If you can't bother going hunting for a perfect non-touristy pub in central Edinburgh, The Mitre is a safe choice. It looks like a pub, it smells like a pub, but you get good service! Most probably you will mostly meet other tourists, but it won't matter since the beer's good and the food is just what you'd expect from pub grub. You'll hear conversations on several different languages, see people celebrating their hen night/bachelor party and just feel relaxed while grabbing a pint or two. The food won't make your tastebuds dance, but you'll be well fed and anything on the menu is a safe choice - no kitchen gimmicks here, only pub grub.

1  Thank MsPeppa