We booked with Apartments Edinburgh (http://www.apts-edinburgh.co.uk/) through Lastminute (about 6 months in advance) having read the great reviews on here about large spacious rooms etc etc.
On booking we received an email confirming that it was an Apartment in Old Fishmarket, so emailed to check that booking was correct and was assured that Fishmarket was as good as St Giles.
Either all the St Giles reviewers are wrong OR Fishmarket is far inferior.
1) The bedrooms were so small that you had to physically move the bed to shut the door about 1ft of floor space on all sides.
2) No rails or hooks to hang bathroom towels on, so had to hang over backs of dining room chairs to dry.
3) Food on the floor on arrival under dining table
4) Boiler between the rooms very noisy from 11pm
5) Can hear the occupants of the flat above when they used their bathroom.
6) Windows could only be opened a couple of inches and even with all of them open the place was boiling hot all night (and it was cold & wet during the day)
7) The alleyway outside was used for ghost tours til 2am so every 30 minutes a noisy crowd came past and stopped for a story on the steps below - I would assume no worse than anywhere else just off the Royal Mile in peak tourist season though.
For £458 for 3 midweek nights we were expecting a high end apartment, we could have booked the Radisson nearby for that cost.
On the positive side, for a tourist trip it is a perfect location halfway along the Royal Mile and not too far from Waverly Station.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. Giles Apartments offers self catering accommodation in the heart of Edinburgh at great value for money. Our self catering apartments are furnished to excellent standards, designer finished, fully equipped with all crockery and linens. Situated conveniently for all of Edinburgh’s attractions our apartments make for an exceptional base while visiting our historic city.By staying with us you will find great value when comparing to a city centre hotel but with the added benefit of your own living room, dining area, fully equipped kitchen and most importantly privacy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Hotel.de so you can book your St Giles Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Giles Apartments Hotel Edinburgh
- St Giles Apartments Edinburgh, Scotland