On arrival for several days at the fringe festival this place seemed great. Fantastic location, nice furnishings (which one would expect for £200 per night).
I don't recommend these apartments though. Our hot water wasn't working, which we discovered on the first morning. The shower was freezing and the hot water tank isn't big enough to fill one warm bath, let alone two. We called the owner, who came up and said that he'd get a plumber out.
We returned late that night to find that we had no hot water whatsoever! God knows what the plumber had done, if indeed a plumber had ever been called. We rang the emergency mobile number provided and were assured that a handyman would visit at 10 am. We missed two shows whilst we hung around in the apartment waiting for the handyman to finish. When he left, we discovered that the shower dial had been forced such that it only disgorged scorching hot water, which would have burned anybody standing beneath it. It soon exhausted the hot water tank. Cue second morning of cold showers. We were furious. We called the office AGAIN and asked that our hot water be fixed. Nobody came.
It spoiled our trip because it took away any sort of spontaneity. We were really annoyed at the owner's inaction; the aim of the trip was relaxation and we didn't get much of that. Constantly ringing the apartments' office and taking cold showers is not restful.
Also, you only get one big towel and one small towel each, which they expect you to use for the duration of your stay. How hard would it be to change them when you're charging £200 a night?
We'd warned the staff that we'd be looking for recompense from the owner of the apartment for the problems with the water (as with many of these arrangements, they make you pay in advance before they release the key). We waited in the office on our check-out morning for the owner, who finally appeared with very ill grace. We very reasonably asked for a discount on the cost of our accommodation since we'd been unable to take a warn shower or bath during our three night stay. The owner said that we'd have to take it up with his plumber!!!! He also accused us of breaking the shower ourselves, which was nonsense. We told him that he'd breached an implied term of his contract with us and that our remedy, if he refused to negotiate with us, would be to dispute the VISA transaction. He said that there would be no refund because of "the attitude you're showing"!!
The owner is a thoroughly unpleasant man and we felt quite intimidated by him. OK, the apartments are nice and well located, but these people aren't professional and don't know the first thing about customer service. AVOID!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. Giles Apartments offers self catering accommodation in the heart of Edinburgh at great value for money. Our self catering apartments are furnished to excellent standards, designer finished, fully equipped with all crockery and linens. Situated conveniently for all of Edinburgh’s attractions our apartments make for an exceptional base while visiting our historic city.By staying with us you will find great value when comparing to a city centre hotel but with the added benefit of your own living room, dining area, fully equipped kitchen and most importantly privacy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Hotel.de so you can book your St Giles Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Giles Apartments Hotel Edinburgh
- St Giles Apartments Edinburgh, Scotland