“Great if you're not expecting luxury!”

Edinburgh Playhouse Apartments
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed in one of the penthouse apartments for 3 nights with 15 other girls. It was my hen do so we wanted somewhere central and sociable. It was great that we were all together rather than split between different apartments and we there was enough room - even enough bathrooms (though the biggest bedroom needs a full length mirror)!
There's a co-op just around the corner and it's relatively central. We mainly caught taxis (too many high heels!)
Just be careful about the parking permits. For an apartment catering for 16 we found out that we were only allowed 2 permits and they weren't there when we arrived. Eventually they stopped answering the phone and we had to leave handwritten notes in our cars. When we returned (at silly o'clock in the morning) the permits were on a table. I wasn't happy that they had let themselves in when we were out. However, we had 3 (and found one behind a sofa) so we managed.
All in all a good place to stay if all you're wanting is somewhere to get ready and crash your sleepy head. The keys in a box worked well and saved hassle too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 November 2012

We were very pleased with the apartment - very nice and clean, close enough to city center and attractions, supermarket and plenty of restaurants around, good assistance from the staff over the phone, we have never met them (keys and instructions in safe box, money left on the table the next morning).
The only advice is to take care with the included free parking. The permit provided is for the parking of the apartment complex, which is behind the building. If you park in the street in front of the building, on the permit holders area (like we did at first) you will get your car towed and that's very expensive (although the car pond is just a 10-15 min walk). We did not clear info on the parking at first nor did we know there are several types of permits.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Delwind
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I chose these from booking.com as I use them regularly for weekends away. I thought an apartment would be better than a hotel as it was me and my partner and his mum and daughter so thought it would be nice as we would be able too sit in the living room and night rather than seating in deprecate hotel rooms. The apartments were advertised as luxury and with a lift and we chose a 2 bedroom one . When we arrived at the apartments we had to find the key boxes which had our key and the instructions to find our apartment. When we did find our block we had a parking space which was great but was greeted with a used nappy in the doorway. The building had key code entry but no code was on the letter . We looked around for someone to ask when a couple came over looking confused and said they had about 20 students scattered around the apartments . I was thinking it was strange that luxury apartments would be full of students . Then someone who worked for Easylet apartments came over and said the code should have been on the letter. Once in we wished we hadnt bothered we were greeted by the most hideous stench and a nice hole in the wall. We discovered there was no lift and we were 4 floors up. I found this very distressing as I have a weak heart due to cancer treatment which makes me out of breath and my mother in law is asthmatic . The problem was getting up 4 flights of stairs holding your breath because the smell made you want to vomit!! When we got on the apartment we were very disappointed with the standard. The furniture was cheap and shabby , all the walls were painted dark brown or dark red which bade it seem very oppressive . The standard of cleanliness was very poor the skirting boards hadn't been cleaned for months and the ensure had hairs all stuck in the dust. There were no hand towels just 4 very small thin bath towels. The lounge curtains were hanging of the tracks. There were coffee stains all over the mats on the table. The double bed was 2 singles strapped together so spent all night falling in the gap. There wasn't any mirrors except in the bathroom so there was no where to do your hair. The standard of this appartment spoilt our stay in Edinburgh. I complained to booking . Com who they basically said weren't responsible for the problems and they would contact Easylet and they said not responsible for the entrance or the stairs and smell and the people in the appartments but they would look into the cleaning of which I've heard nothing. They offered me 15% of my next stay !!! I wouldn't stay if the paid me. The block was building 11 if anyone does stay there . The smell on those stairs will haunt me forever as noone could pin down what it was .

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank tallullah1966
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Difficult to find the apartment - weird set up to check in.
Apartment 83/4 seems to have hosted a boxing match; holes in doors and walls, loads of scuffs everywhere.
One scratchy towel per guest, and no tea towel/dishcloth for the kitchen is really poor.
No guest info AT ALL.

Good size apartment in a great location - could be soooooo much better.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Excellent location, large airy apartment, plenty of hot water and easy to regulate central heating, free parking, close to City centre but why has management not listened to the negative comments of previous guests?
Kitchen - 2 non-matching wine glasses in an apartment for 4 (similar problems with other crockery). No teatowel or dishcloth or a simple welcome pack of tea, coffee etc.
Bedrooms - quilt did not fit bed, too few pillows,
Bathrooms - no towel rail or hooks for clothes etc (or toilet roll holder)
Lounge - no information pack, for contact of reception, how certain pieces of equipment work (eg WiFi) or what is on in town.
Maybe the conditions vary from apartment to apartment and therefore please note this review refers specifically to apartment 12/4

Room Tip: Avoid aprtment 12/4 for reasons given above.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We were delighted with our apartment. The location is central, yet has the benefit of free parking. Quiet which ensured a great nights sleep. The cleaning staff were still in the vicinity. They were very helpfull on arrival.
Would prefer to receive the key codes at the time of booking.

Room Tip: Apartment 34/4
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I had intended booking into a hotel but decided on this apartment at the last minute and I'm so glad I did. Very spacious, very light and airy rooms, clean, well furnished and surprisingly quiet given how close to the centre of Edinburgh it is. About a 10 minute walk from Waverly station, 5 minutes or so from The Omni centre and Princes Street, so very handy for cinema, eateries etc. Lots of storage space, comfy beds, very comfy settees in lounge; bathroom plus ensuite in one bedroom. Letting agent I spoke to was extremely pleasant and very helpful, talking me through the entry procedure. If I do have any criticism - and I say this mainly for the benefit of the letting agents, as I would have given a 5 star rating otherwise - more pillows would be better (only 2 for each double bed), and the freezer section of the fridge freezer was in serious need of defrosting. The ice was so thick it was unusable. Not a problem for me as I was only there a couple of nights but for anyone staying longer it might be an issue. And the iron wasn't very good. But these are just minor quibbles which didn't impact on my enjoyment of the apartment in any way. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo