“Good Value”

Edinburgh Playhouse Apartments
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Edinburgh Playhouse Apartments last week and had a great time. About a 15-20 min walk from Old Town and the Royal Mile. Even closer to Leith st. Which has several very good restaurants. The Pros would be location, value and parking. Cons were that the apartments were not very well appointed, many things were broken and getting the key is a bit of a hassle. But overall we had a good time and I would recommend this apartment.

Stayed: July 2014
Kimberly W, Guest Relations Manager at Edinburgh Playhouse Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you for your review on our apartment, I am unsure what apartment you stayed in but our maintenance are very good and keeping everything in working order so to read this is worrying as not heard about anything in need of repair, if you could contact me directly and we can go over the issues directly that would be very helpful. Due to our apartments being all over Edinburgh there is some key boxes that are a wee bit away from the actual apartment you may be staying in.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I will look into this matter immediately.

Thank you for choosing Easylet Apartments and I hope to welcome you back in the future

Kind Regards

Kimberly

There are newer reviews for Edinburgh Playhouse Apartments

Reviewed 4 July 2014

After driving from London to continue our holiday, we learned that the address on the advertisement was only where the lock boxes to get the keys were located. They are tucked away in a back alley. The "staff office" is on the other side of the city and was closed upon our arrival. After calling the number to get the lock box combination for the keys, the apartment was located 2 streets away. The apartment, though 3 bedrooms with up to 6 people was large, the floors were old and dirty. The beige leather couches needed some professional cleaning (turning dark from soils) and the walls had scratches and holes. The washer/dryer combination was tucked away in a utility closest with insulation falling from above. At this time of year, Edinburgh is in daylight up until 11 PM and early AM, most of the blinds had either missing vains or wouldn't close.

Reading the instructions normally left inside for your help, there was supposed to be a remote control for the back parking lot and a parking permit. A gentlemen stopped by and dropped off the parking permit and when asked about the remote control, he said it was missing and to just park anywhere around the building with the parking permit properly displayed and you'll be alright. I was greeted with a 60 pound parking ticket the next morning because I couldn't get into the secured parking lot out back. The free internet was by using a thumb drive and it had expired due to over usage prior to our arrival. The TV in the bedroom didn't work and when we called the help number, we were greeted with the information that it had been that way for several months, sorry.

It advertises for a free breakfast..... no such thing.

I'm guessing from reading other reviews that these are apartments that are out to rent when the owners are away and some are OK. Being on holiday in a different location is stressful enough and looking forward to a relaxing evening is just the ticket. With having to deal with the continued stress and misinformation from this place I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank firedetecta

Thank you for your feedback I would like to take the time to apologise for the issues that occurred during your stay with ourselves. As we are self serviced apartments we will send you a wee map and your keybox number via email or text this also means that breakfast is not provided and I would like to take the time now to apologise for this as I do believe that one of our agents noted this on their website and we have soon rectified this matter asked them to take it down.

We are going through an upgrade within our apartments and hope to have this completed by the end of the year beginning of next.

If you would like to contact me directly at the main office I will be more than happy to discuss your issues in more details

Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I hope we can welcome you back in the future

Kimberly

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Nothing better than check to a lovely apartment after 400 miles of driving. The apartment was a little gem, the apartment was very presented and very spacious. The location is perfect central of Edinburgh plus off road parking! The neighbourhood felt safe and could walk to and from city century without any worry. The only confusing thing is getting the key for access but apart from that we had a lovely stay. Definitely recommend to anyone visiting the city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comment I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for staying with Easylet apartments and we hope to welcome you in the near future

Kim

Reviewed 9 December 2013

As we arrived on a Saturday morning and outside of office hours, we called the number they provided however the woman who answer the phone didn’t have any telephone manner’s and never once mentioned the company name until I asked her was I thru to the right person. We asked if our apartment was ready and she couldn’t even tell us if it was, she told us to a get a taxi there and try the lock box, bit unhelpful. Apartment was great, clean large rooms. If you’re a light sleeper however be aware the doors are quite heavy and there no way they close without banging. We were on the top floor which was fine except as a group of smokers, we had to walk up and down the stair all day ( Not the apartment fault )... It’s close to everything you could want, as a group of adult's on a mini break, shopping and nightlife was all we wanted and found it on the doorstep. The only real problem we encounter was the payment process as the group was coming from different place, we requested to make a cash payment, as there was none to meet us at the apartment we had to wait for them to contact us, which was a man knocking on the door to my two female friends in their early 20's which was quite uncomftable for them as he had his own keys, to make matters worse I wasn’t home to pay him so he requested that I call him later that day which I did for him to tell me he couldn’t return until later that day with no eta, I had no choice to sit around the apartment all day waiting on him, bit disappointing when you’re on holidays

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rayo89
Kimberly W, Guest Relations Manager at Edinburgh Playhouse Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

I am sorry to read that you never had a good stay with ourselves we are going through a refurb at the moment and hope to finish it early 2015, we hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

If you wish to contact myself directly please don't hesitate to do so.

Look forward to hearing from you soon

Kim Wright

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Apartments about 15 mins walk from Princes Street, nice big rooms. Everything you need for weekend break. Would definately stay again. Kitchen could have been better equiped with pots and utensils etc but for girlie weekend was fine. Had to phone maintenance once as bathroom light didnt work, they came out straight away. Brilliant value.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Traydel
Reviewed 26 October 2013

As we pulled up near the apartments we passed 3 men swigging cider from 2 litre bottles on the kerb! Having eventually found the key and parking we were faced with 8 flights of stairs to the apartment! No lifts! Whilst this did wonders for my fitness levels it was seriously hard work with 2 young children and a pram!
Once inside the apartment I was pleasantly surprised with the size and cleanliness ! However the facilities were basic!
There was no welcome pack or numbers or leaflets about local amenities which was disappointing ! The apartment itself was secure and felt safe however, the same cannot be said for the park across the road , which attracted many unsavory characters which we saw hanging around the coded doorway ! Very frightening and really unsettled our family! On day one we noticed a poster stuck to the wall on the communal stairwell which stated that residents must be extra vigilant about 'local unsavoury characters' who had gained access and a 'serious incident' had occurred! Again extremely unnerving for the whole family!
This apartment would be ideal for hen and stag parties as it is a 10 min walk up hill into the city however as a young family we were put off by the lack of communication/ information left in the apartment and by the before mentioned characters!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Pinklady16
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed in the Playhouse apartments with my husband and young son as we were going to the Playhouse theatre. The location is ideal for the theatre, about a 5-10 minute walk. The apartments were clean, comfortable and warm however they are a bit tired and could be doing with being freshened up. The most disappointing thing was that our apartment had a strong smell of smoke!
When we arrived the apartment number we had been given was the wrong one and the key therefore wasn't there, we had to telephone the office and wait for about 10 minutes for someone to come, our apartment was at the other end of the complex. Once we did get in I again had to telephone the office to ask for towels and pillow cases. We had paid for bed and breakfast but breakfast was non existent!
If you are looking for a luxury weekend this is not the place to stay. However if you are planning on it being somewhere simply to "put your head down" then it is ideal, especially for the reasonable price. Weighing everything up, we would stay there again if it was simply a base we were looking for, given the price of the apartment and comparing it to other accommodation prices it is good value.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family