“Excellent friendly host, but rooms need some work”

Mayfield Lodge Guesthouse
and 1 more site!
Mayfield Lodge Guesthouse
Ranked #180 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We,ve just returned from a 4 night stay here, and found Kenny to be very friendly, maybe if youre a very reserved person,you would find him over friendly,but we found him to be lovely,and very funny at times,capable of laughing at himself,ie he slept in one morning,(his alarm didnt go off,)so my husband rang him,to double check breakfast time, he arrived very quickly, full of apologies, we just said dont worry,it happens to all of us at some time.
Now the good points
Kenny was able to cater for my vegetarian/gluten free diet very well,every morning,I had 2 eggs ,a couple of mushrooms,a few beans,and a tomato, 2 slices of gluten wheat free toast, plus either a gluten free pastry ,or a gluten free crumpet, more than enough after a bowl of gluten free cereal, and glass of fruit juice, Hubby had one sausage,1 rasher of bacon,1 egg,and a couple of small mushrooms, which isnt a huge breakfast, but to be fair,there are all sorts of boxes of cereal available, and fresh fruit,plus juice, plus prepacked cheeses,plus some sort of cake,plus yogurt, and Kenny is happy to make you as much toast as you want, plus normally you get half a toasted bagel, theres butter to go on your toast, and jam, marmalade,honey, peanut butter,and as much tea or coffee as you want, plus theres a bottle of whisky,for those who like a tipple with their breakfast, yuck,non of us left the dining room hungry, I agree the cooked breakfast comes as standard, with no choices, but you can choose from all the other numerous items, and for a guest house,what more could you expect for breakfast !!,
There is a bus stop across the road, but if no buses available,you can walk a little bit up the road, go left onto east Saville rd, follow it all the way round,to the next main rd,and there are numerous buses from a bus stop there, its also where you,d get off the nightbus,so maybe get the bus from there,to get your bearings,if you plan on getting the nightbus back,
The rooms and dining are clean,and tea coffee milk and sugar replaced daily,
When you,re given your key,it has Kennys mobile number on it, incase you need to contact him while youre out, or if you have a problem, ie an accident ,someone would be able to contact Kenny to find out who you are, brilliant idea, more places should do that,incase of problems,

Now the negatives for us,
We were in room 7, and we didnt get one full good night sleep out of the four we were there, the bed was VERY creaky, but also the slanted skylight window,let in a lot of street noise,and was horrendous when it rained,extremely noisy, but not sure what he can do about the noise factor from the window,plus the little door at the side of the bedside drawers let quite a bit of draft in,it obviously leads to the roof space,so needs sealing properly,
Also the room does need updating a bit, some wallpaper was hanging off, so needs addressing, but Kenny did say, during the quiet times roofs are going to be re-done, so hopefully that will be addressed,
The bathroom,was clean when we got there,and there are toiletries in the bathroom,although a handsoap type of dispenser, and yes the shower is quite small, BUTa very hot and powerful shower,but something does needs to be done about the cold in the bathrooms of the attic room bathrooms as other bathrooms arent as cold, Maybe provide heaters that can at least face into the bathroom to take the chilll off,as they are uncomfortably cold, not just a little chilly,we went and bought a fan heater,which we used while we were there,we,d put it on for a few minutes when we came in from outside as well, as the bedrooms are really cold once the heating has been off a while,and it wasnt always on,when we got up at 8am to get ready for breakfast, not pleasant waking up to a cold room,so if youre going,find out which room youre in,and take warm pjs. and earplugs,if youre in rooms 6 and 7,and watch out for low ceilings,as theres not a lot of room around the bed,in these rooms,but they ARE attic rooms,so wont be very big,it holds wardrobe, big chest of drawers,and 2 bedside cabinets,and a chair but no where to store cases.
So all in all, yes we would stay again, but not up in those rooms,
So if you want a helpful ,friendly host, a clean guesthouse,reasonably close to town (30 mins if you walk ) with plenty to eat at breakfast, good continental,as well as a cooked breakfast,for a reasonable price,then you cant go wrong with this guesthouse, just check which room you,ll be in,and take earplugs,if neccesary, and I,m sure you,ll have a great time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heather1960
There are newer reviews for Mayfield Lodge Guesthouse

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Considering that Trip Advisor is the source of a majority of my readers, I figured I should expand my reviews and include other locations like hotels and tourist attractions. If one is nitpicking my mission statement, I’ll argue that breakfast is included every morning.
Why did I select Mayfield? It was the closest B&B to my girlfriend’s house. It also helped that it was also one of the cheapest B&B’s in town...at least when I excluded ones with shared bathrooms. My trip was on a limited budget and I was willing to forgive a lot. Scottish B&B’s are an unconventional sort, to put it mildly. The houses are small, packed tight with other like buildings, barely holding eight rooms at best. Single-bed rooms are generally miniscule, and I have no problem with this. I could never understand this appeal of some to dump so much money on a hotel. As long as it’s safe and in a good location, why would I need anything more? Like room service, why would I ever require room service? Why give me a reason to stay inside? If I wanted to do that, I wouldn’t have gone on vacation in the first place. I’d just stay home. So all I need is a bedroom, a bathroom, and enough space to drop my luggage. It also helps if the bed is big enough to fit me outstretched.
Mayfield measures up because for the price ($523 for ten days), I got a roof over my head, a queen-sized bed, a TV, a tray of tea and coffees, and a bathroom. The same key which opened my room also opened the outside door, unlike other places which practically enforce a curfew. However, I must be up front with some elements worthy of alarm. For one, I slammed my head on the roof at least three times given that it was slanted over the bed. Two, the shower is so small, that I had to enter it sideways and if I was still obese like when I was a teenager, I wouldn’t have been able to fit in at all. Three, despite making the bed during my absence, they never changed the sheets.
Don’t ask me how I know that; I just do.
Four, the breakfasts had a lot to be desired. I had been hoping for a traditional Scottish breakfast, but what I got was clearly and unmistakably English. No haggis. No black pudding. I got a spoon of hot beans, an inconsistently poached egg, a single link of sausage, a single strip of bacon, and a handful of toast. The only saving grace was that it was part of the stay and precluded my need to buy breakfast on my own.
Five, it got cold. I had arrived in Edinburgh the last week of November, but that doesn’t mean I should awake to a bathroom cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey (It’s a nautical term; I’m sure I’ve used it before). I had to leave the door open to prevent sub-zero temperatures when I tried to shower. This forced my little radiator to work overtime as heat bled through the badly constructed glass windows in the bathroom.
Would I return? Of course...as stated, it’s the closest B&B to my girlfriend’s house. And there are other reasons. Across the street is a bus-stop, and every 30 minutes, the #42 bus will take you right to the heart of the city, past several noteworthy tourist hot spots. Mayfield is a 40 minute walk to Edinburgh castle and, if you walk the opposite direction, a 40 minutes’ walk to Craigmiller castle—a fact I discovered two days before I had to return. Only in Scotland can you take a shortcut through a park and find a castle.

Recommendation: 2.5/5

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PrinceGastronome
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I've stayed in Edinburgh 14 times - two of them at Mayfield Lodge. I think of it as my home and I have "my" special room. Kenny acts as if every guest is his best friend and he is glad to see us. Breakfast is delicious - just what you want and cooked perfectly. The back garden is friendly and available if you feel lazy. If you want to go sightseeing or shopping the bus is just across the street. I can't wait to get back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Being now a more frequent customer to Mayfield lodge, it feels always great when you arrive and Kenny recognises me us on arrival. The house is " Home away from Home" it is warm and welcoming our room was spacious room 3' and with a lovely garden view. Very quiet and we had great nights of sleep.
The local Pubs in the near walking distance are a plus, " the old Bell, very cosy and great Ales, fabulous Restaurant above," the new Bell, Italian cuisine with new owners, reasonably priced as well, Kenny has the menus of a few restaurants available, so one can choose before going.
My friend has a gluten free diet which Kenny remembered and was well catered for,
Great job Kenny and thanks for your hospitality, we will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear always the best. Very quiet.....
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in June, the place is in a very quiet neighborhood which guarantees a great sleep. There is parking place within the premises which was great for us. City center is very close so you can take the bus and be in the Royal Mile in 10 minutes or 5 by taxi. The place is very cozy, it has a lounge where you can watch movies, read, listen to music. Our family room was spacious enough, spotless and every detail taken care of. You have to decide what would you have for breakfast the night before, the breakfast is huge and very, very, very good. We enjoyed every meal we had here and didn´t feel hungry until dinner time. We would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I'm a bit shocked to read a few of these awful comments about this bed and breakfast. It seems as if people seem to forget that this is a B&B and not a 5-star-rated hotel, so if you want all the luxury you should apply there. Warm and cosy and a very welcoming. No complaints. I'd go back again any time - in fact I plan to in the spring!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The location of this B&B is good if you don't want to be right in the centre of things in Edinburgh but want easy access. On arrival I found that the host was a bit quirky and too chatty, when I just wanted to get to my room and settle. I didn't want to offend but he wasn't picking up on the hint. My room was average and pleasant décor wise, nothing special and a bit overpriced. More attention could have been given to the cleaning, especially of the ensuite but it wasn't digusting. Slight smell of damp in the room. In the morning there was no choice given regarding the cooked breakfast, it just came out as standard but there was a selection of cereal.

I wouldn't stay here again, when I've stayed in Edinburgh before I've had better quality for less. I think Mayfield needs to pay more attention to basics for like hygiene and the host could be friendly without being off-putting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo