“pity about rubbish and stains”

Royal Mile Accommodation
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

great location. . nice views ..ok apartment. ..lovely caretaker and handiman but pity about the street rubbish there all week ! and discovered nasty stains on mattress and duvet when we stripped the beds :( only other point is that cooker half worked, beds blocked access to wardrobes, and lots of stains on carpets and walls though it was beginning of season ...saying that we would book again the location was great.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We booked this apartment based on the location as it suited the needs of our traveling party which included 2 older people (one with walking difficulties) and an infant of 10 months old. On the morning of our arrival we were advised that the property was trashed by its previous occupants and we were 'upgraded' to another apartment in Grassmarket area with no parking. We could only access the apartment at 14h00 to see whether it would suit, waited for 30 minutes on the street in the wind for someone to arrive and eventually were in at 15h00 only to find it will not work for us. The entrance was grubby and dirty and certainly did not give a very good impression. We ended up having to find something else, which was very stressful given the time frame and members of our party!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I've stayed there for 4 nights recently.Letting company took payment a month before my arrival,and send me text message with detais how to check in.It was good as I knew where to go and get a key,but also confusing,as I though it wasn't necessary to call,when I arrived.
Also keys I found in a box were for different number,that specified in a message.
I booked accomodation for 2,and got 3 bedroom house.
Best part was kitchen and living room area(just bit too dark for my liking).
Heating worked only few hours per day,and it was pretty cold during day time.There was no boiler.There was a heating control on wall downstairs,that suppose to make a clicking sound when active,but most of the time didn't work.There was no hot water in the morning.
In the moddle of my stay,while out,I had houskeepers visit.They thought I booked for 2 nighs,and were about to remove my stuff from apartment.Luckily I got back on time.
After some explanation they left.I got asked If payment was taken,and I confirmed.
Because of all this mix up,I had to call the office,and clear it up.They took money in February,and tried to charge me again.I know as I check balance with my credit card issuer pretty often.
There are certainly better options in Edinburgh.Don't bother with this one.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We enjoyed our apartment but unfortunately we could not figure out how the little heater things worked ! We were really cold and couldn't find a thermostat however, we all slept around the electric fireplace and were cozy and warm. The apartment was great, super location, secure, quite and very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

My Friends and I have just returned from a 3 day break from the Royal Mile Apartments located at Old Tolbooth Wynd.

We booked with a company called Superbreaks who provided us with a confirmation with the full address, directions from the station & office and emergency phone numbers for the company who actually owned the apartment.

The instructions informed us that we needed to contact the apartment office 24 hours before arriving for the access security code to allow you to collect the keys from a secure area.

This allowed as to get to the apartment & collect the keys without any issues.

On arrival we were amazed at how fantastically decorated are apartment was & how homely it felt. We stayed at block 4 apartment 11 which had 3 bath rooms (two of which were en suite with showers only). There were two bed rooms and a misinade room which over looked the living room. There was a kitchen diner which provided a washing machine & dish washer. There were basic kitchen utensils provided.

The living room had sky Tv which was great to relax after walking round the city.

The each main room provided great views across the city.

We were only provided one towel each and there were no hand towels in the toilets so make sure you bring some.

The station is a 10 minute walk from the apartment.

All the taxi drivers knew where the apartments are located so great when you are coming back from a night out. The number for the cab firm we used is 0131 228 1211 who were very professional, friendly & efficient.

The sightseeing tour bus (£12 per adult) was a great way for us to get round the city which allowed you to hop on & off for 24 hours. Best to start it mid afternoon so it is valid till that time the next day for maximum usage.

We went to one spa at the Shearton hotel which was amazing we had such a relaxing time using the facilities such as the Hydropool.

We tried to get a late check as standard check out is 10am but were unable to as the apartment was booked after us. Also it took 40 minutes to get through to the office from 9am as they had left the left the phone on voicemail. So we had to call the emergency number and gentleman said that he would get them to take the phone off voicemail & I should call back in five minutes.

However to allows to carry on looking around the city and do some shopping before our train at 15.30 we use the storage company (left luggage) who are based at the station. For a fee of £7.00 per item for up to 24 hours you can leave luggage secured and continue around the city.

Overall we had a great time in a fantastic apartment & a brilliant city and we would recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank TalpaTraveller
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Although the apartment we stayed in was nice, I cannot recommend this apartment in any way. When we arrived at the location, all we saw was an ordinary apartment block. The address only tells you the road, and no further instruction on how to find the apartment is given. There was no email, no call, and no text message to tell us what to do. We had to call the number repeatedly before someone finally picked up the phone. The person who answered said that she would send the instructions by text message. In the text message it said that we needed to go to a different address on the other side of town far from the city center. Then, it gave vague instructions on how to obtain the key. Imagine standing outside on a dark, lonely street at night with your luggage after a long day of travelling trying to figure out what to do. I truly believed I would be stranded and forced to go door-to-door asking hotels for vacancies. I had just arrived in Edinburgh and had not bought a sim card yet. If it weren't for the kindness of a few strangers that took pity on us and helped us contact the owner, we could have had a long, miserable night. This incompetence to inform customers of the procedures ahead of time is unacceptable. Moreover, they charged us before we even arrived, so they had no interest in actually helping us find the place. Lastly, changing our reservation to a different location is deceitful and shameful. I major part of my decision to rent this apartment was the location. How can they make me pay for an apartment I did not want? There is interest in this apartment because of the location, but not for the other apartments due to their poor location. So, they have the scam of letting too many people book the desired location, then forcing them to change location at the last minute. This is deceitful at best, illegal at worst. I hope someone takes them to court one day for this practice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Recently stayed here for a stag do for 13 people. Flat was large and well equipped. Flat was a little tired looking, but ideal for what we needed.
Location is ideal and very close to the main train station.
Instructions of how to gain entry to the apartment were not that clear, but a quick phone call sorted this out (glad they answered!)
I probably wouldn't stay here with my family, but for a stag do, it was ideal

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends