“a unique experience”

Ranked #541 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Forsyth's is one of those unique, distinctly Scottish "tea rooms" that you think don't exist any more. It has it all: crocheted doilies, brass plaques on the wall, steam coming from whistling kettles etc. Stephen Hawking wrote about the possibilities of wormholes in the space time continuum and travelling back in time. Well, I think there must be a wormhole just off the Royal Mile, because it really feels like going round for tea at your great aunt's. The service and food, from a lovely blue-rinsed lady is exactly as you'd expect from tea at your great aunt's though.
The whole place has a weird, magical feel to it. It was busy when I arrived, and I somehow got roped into helping the waitress with the orders because I was "a strapping young man".

Bottom line-
Don't come here if: you want gourmet food and quick service. Or you're on business. Or if you want anything more complicated than a white coffee.

Do come here if: you want to experience a unique place with unique charm.

2  Thank Alan M

Reviewed 16 December 2013

My wife and I stayed in Edinburgh for three nights and aimed to have breakfast in a different place each day; this was day 2. I should have been wary when asked to pay up-front - I usually would have refused to do so, but the woman running the place seemed so sincere. We had the all day breakfast at £7.95 each. The toast and butter was toast and butter-substitute (Buttery? Clover?), the cutlery was dirty as well as a selection of different sets, the tea-pot had a (broken) ill-matched lid, while the pot-of-tea-for-2 barely provided 3 cups. The sausage was barely cooked and the tomato was bitter. A great disappointment.

1  Thank tasimov
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Exiting the Jury’s Inn hotel there are 2 sets of steps to climb and you find yourself on the Royal Mile, however on route we found this tea room and decided it was time for a quick lunchtime snack.

The tea room was quiet and the decorations of tea towels, tea cosies gave it a homely feeling.

The owner, a charming lady with lovely purple hair was very obliging and pleasant, passing the time of day with us as well as providing a map and some evening dining recommendations.

Even though Edinburgh was extremely busy this place was quite, just what we were looking for after our train journey. Food was good, bacon sandwich for myself and a toasted tune for my wife. Well worth a visit for a snack our breakfast.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We called in for afternoon cream tea. We were greeted by the lovely, slightly eccentric, purple haired Mrs Forsyth, very welcoming and friendly. She had made homemade jam which tasted yummy. The tea room reminded me of my grandmas front room, lots of knick knacks and crocheted doilies.
The tea, food and the service is definitely recommended.

1  Thank Footynut1603
Reviewed 8 October 2013

It was easier to find than I thought it would be. That is about the most positive thing I can say about Forsyth's I had hot chocolate and a slice of cake. The cocoa was watery and only warm. The carrot cake was dry and tasteless. Service was absent. The owner (?) was so busy talking to a friend that you did not get much if any service until I was walking out. I had read a few reviews on this place and was really looking forward to going :(