“Doyley heaven!”

Ranked #539 of 2,599 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I am rating Forsyth's as 5 stars as it is one of the most entertaining places I have ever visited. On entering, your eyes are treated to a veritable feast of tea house kitsch. It is the only establishment I know of that places doyleys over the sugar bowls, on the walls - in fact, every available space is adorned with these crocheted artifacts. Other delights are the various cruet sets, mismatched tea sets, postcards from previous customers and the Royal Family calendar.

On to the food....I was served first (at the counter) out of our group of three and decided to opt for the afternoon tea which consisted of a choice between a ham or tuna sandwich, a scone with jam and cream and, of course a pot of tea. I also ordered a slice of the delicious looking coffee cake for my partner and, the extremely friendly, Mrs Forsyth took the payment before preparing our order. In the meantime, my friend stood waiting to be served whilst Mrs F proceeded to make my sandwich and tea whilst complaining about how busy she was. We were the only customers in the cafe. My order of afternoon tea seemed to take priority whilst the coffee cake was forgotten about and our friend was served a good ten minutes later.

Despite the slow service, there was something both incredibly charming and utterly mad about this cafe. It made me feel very nostalgic and we certainly left with smiles on our faces!

2  Thank travelbeanies

Reviewed 29 May 2014

During our stay in Edinburgh we had tea at the lovely Forsyth's Tea Room. Tucked away in the Chalmers Close off the Royal Mile. Whilst enjoying our tea and shortbread cookie we chatted away with the purple haired lady owner. A charming place for a tea break!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was very excited about visiting a traditional Scottish teahouse but got ripped off very badly at Forsyths. Ordered a muffin and porridge and some pie, not only did the old lady forget about the cake order but still add it to the bill, the scones and porridge were all "microwave" made and tiny, tiny, tiny portions. Not to mention it was unhygienic as the old lady after touching her newspapers went on to grab and scone and put it directly in the microwave. With such expensive prices, I could even have tea at the Royal Yacht Britannia and avoid this horrendous experience of having to taste such gross and expensive microwave heated filth.

Do yourselves a favour and go elsewhere! Anywhere on the Royal Mile will have breakfast better than this place.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was just recently visiting Edinburgh and decided on a whim to go and have afternoon tea at Forsyth's. I had seen the sign off of the Royal Mile and the spot looked rather quaint. While the decor at first glance may deter prospective customers, the owner (Christine) is delightful. I came about an hour and a half before the 6pm closing time and ended up staying for 2 hours just talking with her and her friend who was in town visiting. Lovely people and the scones and carrot cake were delicious bonuses to a great conversation. What really made the experience all the more lovely was that as I was preparing to leave, I had mentioned that I had to get up early for a 12 hour tour of the Highlands the next day, Christine wrapped me up a nice cream pastry to take with me for free. That way I wouldn't be hungry on my tour. Forsyth's is a lovely little find, you'll be missing out on some great conversation (and carrot cake) if you don't stop by!

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Just got back from breakfast in forsyths...what can I say- Such a negative experience..asked for the three item breakfast and instead of the bread roll, we had brown bread...the food was absolutely vile- so greasy and fatty...we only ate the egg and toast and left as quickly as possible...total rip off when we went to the till, the old lady charged us for the 3 item breakfast, 2.95 each, the toast 2 each and the tea 2 each...when I questioned why the toast wasn't included, she got really aggressive...my advice is to go elsewhere, 14 pounds for that muck...much nicer cafés on the Main Street.

3  Thank RealReviewDublin