The Apex is a brilliant renovation of a classic building. I don't gush very often, but to take a heritage building, and turn it into a Swiss-stylish modern hotel inside, takes inspiration, care, and capital. I don't think I've stayed in such a successful renovation, outside top-end five star hotels.
Check-in was friendly and efficient. My room wasn't ready at 10:30am, which in a tourist city in June is acceptable. It was, however, when I returned, and I was upgraded to a duplex apartment-style room;
The room had not only tea/coffee facilities, but a nespresso machine, a Bose sound system, and a huge television. The bathroom was bigger than most London bedrooms, and very well appointed. There was a vast separate shower room, with good pressure from the shower heads. I couldn't find fault with the room at all. The internet worked well. I slept perfectly well.
I ate a light supper, and breakfast, in the hotel. The food was good, the service was helpful, and the price about right for a hotel. Breakfast is a standard buffet with a la carte hot options (pre-booking at GBP10 is actually good value compared with external options, unusual for a hotel). The spa "Yu", written in Japanese hiragana tho' not particularly Japanese, is nicely done, but the pool is really only big enough for splashing around - four strokes and you've completed a lap, no point really...
But for a tourist break, this hotel was close to ideal. Well located, stylish, and at an appropriate price point.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in one of Edinburgh’s best spots at the east end of Princes Street, Apex Waterloo Place Hotel is within walking distance of the famous Edinburgh Castle and is just a few minutes’ walk from Calton Hill. George Street and The Royal Mile are also close by in this compact city centre. The classic Georgian architecture complemented by contemporary interiors make this hotel unique. Each bedroom is spacious and includes a 42” TV, complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, bath and/or walk-in shower and Elemis toiletries. As a guest, you’ll also get complimentary use of the leisure facilities. An indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room and Technogym make the perfect place to relax or escape from the stresses of everyday life. Time for more? Pamper yourself with an Elemis treatment at PURE Spa & Beauty. You can choose from a wide selection of restaurants and bars throughout the city during your stay, many of which are close by in the George Street area. If you’re looking for a traditional Scottish dish and a cosy bar away from the bustle of the town, look no further than Elliot’s Restaurant & Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Apex Waterloo Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex Waterloo Place Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex Waterloo Place
- Apex Waterloo Place Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland