Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$180
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$251
US$169
US$137
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
4,997 results
All reviewselemis productstrain stationjelly beanssauna and steam roomwalk in showerrubber duckend of princes streetcalton hillsuperior roomroyal milespa facilitiesexcellent locationlovely hotelhotel barlarge bathroomcentral locationcity break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This hotel ticks all the boxes in many respects. It's very close to the railway station (they describe it as the "rail station") very close to the centre as it's in a continuation road from Princes Street and is very quiet, which is why I picked it.

It's a lovely old building which has been almost completely "modernised," trouble is they've sanitised it in such a clinical way leaving it virtually devoid of any character internally. It's clearly American owned and is aiming at the American market which is fine, especially if you are American. From my point of view when I go to another country I like to experience the culture etc of the place particularly in the accommodation.

The hotel does pay minimal lip service to the host country with haggis, black pudding, tattie scones and neeps and tatties on the menu but to all intents and purposes it is like being in America where there are American signs and staff refer to everyone as "folks" and use other Americanisms.

It is spotlessly clean though and the staff are fairly efficient albeit in a clinical sort of way. The female concierge is excellent. Queuing for breakfast had a sense of deja vu about it, harking back to school days but it was also unusual in that it was served piping hot and was very good. The service did though appear to be somewhat ad hoc despite the large number of staff. Also the chamber staff only seem to service the room on request as at 3.30pm ours hadn't been touched.

On my next visit to Edinburgh I would definitely choose a hotel with a Scottish flavour but if that was difficult I would venture back here due to the convenience.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lyeemoon
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed at the Apex with my family in August.Had a lovely room,excellent beds and VERY CLEAN!!My daughters had a lovely room as well with a terrible view of the alley. I have read the other reviews of bad experiences with the staff but I have to say my experience with the staff was very good.The concierge, Linda was so helpful and really knew Edinburgh,where to eat,where to go, where to shop, etc. Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This hotel was really nice. In a quiet area and close to everything. We had a car and asked where to park it and was given really loose directions. I asked for a map and the girl I spoke to said it was just down the road on the right of the hotel. We drove around for 20 min then my husband asked. Same instructions...We drove around again and finally after another 20 min we both went back in and asked the man behind the desk. He had a serious attitude problem and brushed us off as much as possible but finally gave us the name of the car park. They do not have written directions or a map of the car park and really dont seem to car if you cant find it! We eventually found it and had to walk up a block and round the corner with all the bags and stuff out of the car. No one volunteered to help even though it was raining and even when we got inside no one helped we had to ask if it was ok to leave the bags while we got the rest of our things from the car. Again the man behind the desk just waved his hand over to one side and continued what he was doing. It cost 20 pounds for one nights parking as we took the car back the next day! Very steep!!
Ok that said, the hotel itself was lovely and the rest of the staff seemed very nice. The restaurant was lovely as was the food and the bar had a really nice vibe to it. I would definetly stay here again but hopefully they have given this gentlemen a lesson in courtesy and service.
It was just this one man, and he was like that every time we came down stairs to everyone. Never said good morning have a nice day, can I help you in anyway....nothing. It was though he had better things to do..It was really a bad image for the hotel.
You can walk pretty much anywhere from this hotel as its quite near most attractions.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank frogmelbourne
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed here overnight for business and it was fine. Check in was helpful, even though I was a bit early; the room was nice, with everything needful and modish. My view was through some 60s/70s style space age windows over a wonderful semi-decrepit Edinburgh backstreet - the elegance of the town at this point is not much more than skin deep! Food was OK - we had a formal dinner for all colleagues - so not a fair test of the restaurant. I had breakfast in a rush - sadly, as it was very generous. Location is excellent, between Princes Street and Calton Hill - a good base to walk the city centre, and quite handy for Waverley station.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank David D
Reviewed 4 September 2012

A very good boutique hotel in a great central location. Room was nice, bar reasonable and spa not bad, although pool was a bit too small. Good though the hotel is, and yes I would stay again, luxury is stretching it a little bit. But overall defiantly worth a visit provided the price is right.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business