“A very pleasant hotel”

Ranked #32 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Macungie, Pennsylvania
“A very pleasant hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was here with a large group as part of a business meeting we were holding in Edinburgh.

The hotel is very close to Waverly Rail Station and so travel is quite convenient. It's an easy walk to Edinburgh castle as well. The hotel does not offer any good views though of any of the attractions in Edinburgh.

I found all of the staff to be extremely friendly and accomodating. Since we were part of a large group, and the hotel had a large number of parties for other groups, it was quite busy when we were there, but they had plenty of help and everything came off without a hitch.

We had a group dinner there one night and the food was excellent. Other days we had breakfast each day - always very good. If possible, book with breakfast included as it would be a bit expensive if ordering separate each day.

Room Tip: Because it is on a steep hill, the lobby is on the 5th floor, so lower floors might not have the sam...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

I booked well in advance at this hotel to enable me to save up, and booking directly gave me the maximum discount of 30%. When I booked I mentioned that it was a surprise city break from me to my girlfriend as I was going to ask her to marry me while away. Upon checking in I was informed that we had been upgraded to a duplex room which made our whole trip a hundred times better, more comfortable and more enjoyable all round, we couldn't have asked for more.
From booking in, to passing in the corridors, asking for things to be sent up or checking out on the final day, the staff at every stage were so friendly, so helpful, and were unlike any customer servive experience my girlfriend (now fiancé) have come across and it was wonderful.
Having read some reviews on the noise you can get from the city streets late at night, we had none of these problems, considering it's perfect location, the road on the front was fairly traffic free and we slept soundly every night in the biggest, comfiest bed we've ever slept in. (Pillows weren't to our liking but we've had much worse). The noisiest thing I came across were the room doors of other inconsiderate guests late at night, but even this may have just been over active door closers...?
The shower was the best we've ever been in too, a five point shower, with all the complimentary Elemis products you could possibly need, I had two showers a day and still wanted more.
We didn't eat in the restaurant (Elliotts) but did order room service one night and made use of a ten pound gift voucher we were given for booking directly, £15 altogether for two meals, pork belly with veg and cider jus and a spag bol was about right, £25 would have felt a bit steep, but both tasty non the less. Definitely better value than the chinese restaurant 3 or 4 doors down- called Hong Fu. Avoid at all costs or read my other review...

The pool on level 3 is only small but also under used so I had it to myself 4 times out of five.

The spa session was excellent, the girls very friendly and competent and was definitely value for money. It was a couples session though and we would have preferred a more communal lighter atmosphere in there, we felt as though we couldn't speak, we may have well been in separate rooms. Still an amazing two hours, thanks girls!

The one thing I didn't really rate was the afternoon tea we had brought to the room. £15 is the going rate for an afternoon tea but there are much better ones, more filling, better ingredients etc if you shop around. (Sorry Apex) I'll save you a job though, there is a huge one available at at Eteaket on Frederick St at 15 quid per person, (we gave some of ours away to one of the many homeless people in the city-sort it out...poor things...) and there is one available at The Dome on George Street at only £25 for two! (But we didnt try this one).

All in all though this was one hell of a break and not just because I'm now engaged. The hotel went above and beyond almost every step of the way and we genuinely can't thank them enough or sing their praises any more, we would definitely recommend staying here whatever the occasion, and we cannot wait to come back. Thanks again Apex. Modelcitizen79.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean K
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited Edinburgh for the first time and stayed at the Apex Waterloo Place. I don't think we could have chosen a better place to stay! It is located a short walk from the train station and convenient to restaurants and tourist attractions. The staff is very helpful and the room was comfortable and modern. The bathroom was the best - Great tub and shower! We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Limavady, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Let me start with our arrival, we checked in at 12:00, the hotel check in time is 2.30pm, our room wasn't ready, which is fair enough, we we early. The young lady on reception took my mobile number and informed me she would let me know if the room was ready early. She then took our bags to save us pulling them around Edinburgh. True to her word she telephoned me a short time later and informed me the room was ready, on our arrival back at the hotel the bags had been put in the rooms.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The bedroom was great, nice big bed and a folding out bed for may 9 year old son (when I say folding bed, it was as big and solid as any normal bed). Great bathroom, big walk in shower.

At breakfast (cooked to order, what a delight) the restaurant manager showed us to our table and took our tea/coffee order, hot chocolate for my young son. The next morning the same manager was on duty, showed us to our table and was able to remember that my son took hot chocolate. The little touches make the difference.

The pool is very nice, not big, but perfect for a dip. The steam room and sauna are very good.

On the last morning the pool was closed, reason unknown, we asked the reception if it would be open again that day, they said it would be closed all day, however, we could have complementary entry to the facilities at the sister hotel in the Grassmarket, this included the addition of a free taxi to the hotel and back.

All in all this is a very good hotel about 5 minutes easy stroll to the start of Princes Street.

I could not find any fault with my stay.

Room Tip: Room 1012 is slightly bigger if you are staying as a family, room for and extra bed.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TM2004
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed in a family room which was very plush, breakfast excellent with loads of choice. Spa facilities superb and close both to the city centre and train station. Will be definitely coming back very soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and I stayed in the deluxe double and we couldn't fault the room or the hotel staff.
Nothing was too much trouble and the breakfasts were delicious. The little extras in the room are amazing and we will definitely stay again, the bed was heavenly!!!
Excellent value for money and good location, thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucy j
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

not the best for me. Because on first floor and very small room for 3 of us. Also the local bar had a late night party out the street and woke us up as well.

The rest of the hotel and staff are nice and really enjoyed the concierge as well. The location is good as well. The food was fine for breakfast won't eat dinner here.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are probably bigger and better than on the first floor try to get something on ano...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family