“So central and also secluded”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Belfast, United Kingdom
“So central and also secluded”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here Fri -Sun and how I wished I could have stayed for longer.
Rooms gorgeous. Staff very friendly. I loved every moment here.
I can't wait to return! Booked direct with hotel and got a lovely £10voucher to use where we wished so that was very nice.

2 Thank Rosemary C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Lovely modern clean hotel, really central location and superb breakfast. Shame we couldn't get a table for evening meal but went to the italians on the corner which was great value for money and fab desserts. Room was at the side of the hotel 401really noisy could hear drunks people shouting singing and taxis dropping off. Room a little chilli but overall great stay.

Room Tip: Not the side401on very noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
New York, New York
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was spoiled and got the duplex suite - it was sensational. Hotel is in a GREAT location, service was awesome, bar was great, etc etc. Wouldn't even consider staying at one of the older more iconic hotels after staying here. Loved everything about this hotel and I think it is one of the nicest I have ever stayed at!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Clean rooms, good breakfast, friendly staff, nice bar and good location, an all round good experience, 2nd stay at this hotel didn't disappoint . We will be returning again, the upgraded room was a nice touch too.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Ymaikieh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

An absolutely perfect hotel stay!

The hotel is clean with stylish decor, and its location on Princes Street is just perfect for all the tourist attractions of Edinburgh. The handy exit direct into the train station is also really convenient.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, offered to store luggage, call taxis etc. without us having to ask. The spa was wonderful - my partner, (or fiance as I can call him after our wonderful weekend!) - had booked me a back massage as a surprise. There is also a steam room, sauna and pool with loungers to relax on. I was in the spa at the end of a busy Saturday on Mother's Day weekend, and it was still spotlessly clean and well presented.

The hotel also gave us £10 credit to use at the bar, as a thank you for booking direct. The bar is lovely to relax in - comfortable and spacious, and the cocktails are perfect!

The room itself was wonderful - everything was spotlessly clean and the king sized bed was so confortable. We had a great view onto the street (very beautiful architecture) and if it hadn't been so foggy we'd have seen Arthur's Seat too! The staff were very informative about nearby landmarks and local history and went out of their way to answer our questions about nearby attractions, and recommend sights we wouldn't otherwise have found (despite the fact we've been to Edinburgh many times). Although we were in a really central location the double glazing meant we didn't get disturbed by any sound (despite me being a light sleeper). The curtains keep any street light out. The decor is stylish and comfortable. The little touches like hair dryers, dressing gowns, bottle openers etc. make all the difference. The bathroom was beautiful and the shower was brilliant, and even the mirror cleverly doesn't mist up from the steam.

Overall, the hotel could not have been better and made a magical weekend of being proposed to even more special!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Arthur's Seat.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
west sussex
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here for two nights visiting a friend in Edinburgh.
Very well placed hotel for buses and shops etc.
Reception staff were good though no offer of help with bags and having just travelled from the South Coast of England all day it would have been welcomed.
Room good, slightly tired looking. Bed very comfortable.
Went to use pool but very very small and two or three children in it with a parent which meant it was full so had to give up on that and used the rather tiny gym instead.
First evening I had decided to spend on my own to have a bit of me time and went went down to the bar area for a drink and food.
Took a while to be served by the barman standing about 3 feet away from me who, for most of the evening, appeared to be very attentive to two ladies at a table the other side of the room and it was difficult to get his attention to order drinks etc! The bar food I had was great and reasonably priced as were the couple of glasses of fizzy I had.
Breakfast however was a sad story. The table I found myself in busy restaurant was dirty, uncleared and food under the table. Service was odd and when I asked for rye bread, as I don't eat bread bread if you know what I mean, it was as though I had asked for the world. I got a humph and off the guy trotted to the kitchen. He came back with something so bizzare and completely non-carbohydrate related he must have completely misunderstood me and I think there was a bit of a language barrier/translation issue. I had just come back from the table having got some fruit and yoghurt to start with and one mouthful in a plate of scrambled eggs turned up. Giving people the opportunity to have a slurp of juice and some prunes would have been welcome. I ate the not great eggs quickly, having had to pay extra for them, and gave up and left as my table still hadn't been cleared from the previous breakfasters! Probably one of the more unpleasant breakfast experiences I've had, and trust me normally I'll take my time and scoff quite a bit when presented with nice service, good tea and a buffet table I can hover over! (And no I'm not overweight but a size 10!). As a lone 50 year old female traveller I didn't feel 'looked after' at all and probably would have had a nicer experience at a decent B and B which in all honesty is what I wish I had booked.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Selkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We booked this through emails and phone calls direct and they did a package to suit us as we wanted spa treatments aswell as dinner bed and breakfast, the hotel was spotless the staff were great nothing was an effort to them they were all happy to be there which made our stay so much more relaxing the room service was the best we had experienced the rooms were to a very high standard we couldn't fault it at all, the spa was excellent so relaxing will definitely book another hot stone massage they are great, the restaurant food was to very high standard the only problem we had was we were given the pre theatre menu at 8pm when it should have finished at 7pm so we feel we missed out on the full menu and we were also presented with 2 different bills after our meal which shouldn't have happened as we had pre paid which was a little embarrassing, the cocktail bar is a must, we didn't feel the need to leave the hotel as everything we needed was there,overall this is probably one of the best hotels we have stated in and are looking forward to booking again sometime soon we reccomend to everyone

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family