My one-night stay was arranged by work who booked this hotel because it is so close to the station and I had an early train. The rooms were very nice, the bar great and the staff all helpful and polite.
However this was somewhat undermined by a bad experience at breakfast. I thought that allowing half an hour for breakfast before I had to leave was plenty. I was rather surprised to see a long queue to the breakfast room, and even more surprised that it took something close to 15 minutes to get seated. I could have understood if the room was full but there were many empty tabled neatly set that I could have been sat at, and that many of the people behind me could have taken.
My coffee and toast order was taken, and I watched as it was brought out of the kitchen, taken round the room, back into the kitchen, round the room again and finally back in to the kitchen never to be seen again despite my trying to attract is attention as it passed.
My cooked breakfast order was taken with only ten of my thirty minutes remaining. I asked if there was time and, to give credit where credit is due, a very nice cooked breakfast appeared very quickly. My coffee, which I'd chased up, finally came with 2 minutes to go so I got a gulp at least. My toast was never heard from again.
There seemed to be lots of activity but little coordination to the staff. The room, although busy, wasn't full and much of the waiting seemed to be disorganisation rather than operating at full capacity. The queue when I left was even longer than when I arrived.
I'm not normally one to linger on a single problem to the exclusion of lots of positives (the very friendly lady on checkout included) but in this case the quick get away, and the breakfast-inclusive room was the single reason for booking and on that basis I couldn't recommend a stay here for business purposes. Perhaps it would not have bothered me quite so much if it had been a relaxing leisure trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the city centre to the East of Princes Street, this historic building combines traditional features with contemporary style. This four star deluxe hotel has 186 stylish en-suite rooms with widescreen LCD TV, large desk, free Wi-Fi and local calls, ground coffee and selected teas, luxury toiletries, iron and ironing board. Other facilities include Elliot's Bar and Restaurant, Events space for up to 184, and a Spa. The spa's pool, sauna and gym are free to guests and a range of Elemis spa treatments can be booked in the single and couples treatment rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Apex Waterloo Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex Waterloo Place Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex Waterloo Place
- Apex Waterloo Place Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland