“Otherwise great hotel let down by breakfast omnishambles” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Apex Waterloo Place Hotel

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Otherwise great hotel let down by breakfast omnishambles”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My one-night stay was arranged by work who booked this hotel because it is so close to the station and I had an early train. The rooms were very nice, the bar great and the staff all helpful and polite.

However this was somewhat undermined by a bad experience at breakfast. I thought that allowing half an hour for breakfast before I had to leave was plenty. I was rather surprised to see a long queue to the breakfast room, and even more surprised that it took something close to 15 minutes to get seated. I could have understood if the room was full but there were many empty tabled neatly set that I could have been sat at, and that many of the people behind me could have taken.

My coffee and toast order was taken, and I watched as it was brought out of the kitchen, taken round the room, back into the kitchen, round the room again and finally back in to the kitchen never to be seen again despite my trying to attract is attention as it passed.

My cooked breakfast order was taken with only ten of my thirty minutes remaining. I asked if there was time and, to give credit where credit is due, a very nice cooked breakfast appeared very quickly. My coffee, which I'd chased up, finally came with 2 minutes to go so I got a gulp at least. My toast was never heard from again.

There seemed to be lots of activity but little coordination to the staff. The room, although busy, wasn't full and much of the waiting seemed to be disorganisation rather than operating at full capacity. The queue when I left was even longer than when I arrived.

I'm not normally one to linger on a single problem to the exclusion of lots of positives (the very friendly lady on checkout included) but in this case the quick get away, and the breakfast-inclusive room was the single reason for booking and on that basis I couldn't recommend a stay here for business purposes. Perhaps it would not have bothered me quite so much if it had been a relaxing leisure trip.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Fife Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Partner booked this for birthday weekend as we had really loved it first time round. So disappointed this time. 3rd floor (below reception/street level)room looked out on an alleyway with skips and rubbish - depressing. Room was dark and tired and worn. Could not open windows and room v stuffy. I would have said something if it had been me that organised it. Make sure you get a room on a higher floor. 5th floor is reception off the street. Confusing ...yes. Nice bar, pleasant staff. Could have had better value for money elsewhere. Don't think we will be back. It spoiled my weekend.

Room Tip: Front facing, plenty of light and large windows. Floors 7,8,9 would be better, not lower floors with...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lily67
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

Great location, beautiful bedrooms, top quality staff. You are a very short walk from Waverley station if you come out through the shopping centre.

I loved my stay here and would come back in a flash.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel is a short walk from Waverley Station. The rooms were great, the hotel staff friendly. My only negative comment would be that the hotel bar does not have many seats to cater for hotel guests, we were a party of 6. We didn't eat at the hotel as found so couldn't comment on that.

It is a lovely hotel and very comfortable and I wouldnt hesitate to stay here again when I'm back in Edinburgh.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Apex Waterloo hotel is really close to Waverley Station (approx. 5 mins walk). The hotel is very well maintained and the rooms are well appointed. The hotel staff are very attentive and friendly. The breakfasts and evening meals are very good but as with all city hotels, the drinks are rather expensive. The swimming pool, sauna and steam room are very small - we only spent 30 mins in the spa area over the weekend.

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel, and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family, some friends and I stayed in the Waterloo Apex in mid-April- we were all in Edinburgh for a special occasion. On arrival the hotel told us that they had heard about the purpose of our trip and had upgraded my fiance and I to a beautiful suite for our 3 day stay! We were absolutely delighted. The rest of our party were all very happy with their accommodation too. Staff were lovely. We would definitely stay in this hotel again when we next return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Really easy to find.
Pleasant check in. We got a complimentary drink at the bar each to celebrate our anniversary.
The bathroom was wow!
The bed was comfy.
Free pringles, jelly beans and toiletries.
The restaurant was good, but not amazing.
It's sad I know, but the clinching point when I booked was the free rubber duck. Overall, it was a good choice. (We spent an hour or two duck hunting the following day to collect more from the other local hotels in the chain)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple